Congestion – An idea and question

Discussion of Pop Top's last release of RRT.
Beancounter
Watchman

Congestion – An idea and question Unread post

Last week, I was playing a game where I had 4 trains arriving at a station at the same time. The obvious solution would be to build a double track. But in this case, that only solve half the problem. (because I had 4 trains but only two tracks)

So I had an idea, and I wonder if anyone else has tried this.

If I build a two-pronged fork around the station, so that there is a double track on the left side of the station and a double track on the right, is the game “smart” enough to place each train on its own track, or will it continue to use only one of the double tracks?

Thanks,

BC
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Re: Congestion – An idea and question Unread post

You could do that by using waypoints but the second double track won't be associated with the station.
The only way to do something like that would be to build two stations in that city.
Hawk
OilCan
Engineer

Yeah, Hawk is right. The trains won't load or unload on the track behind the station. But, a station that is serviced by 4 trains is not really all that congested of a station. I don't know the magic number of trains that make a station is so congested that a second station is needed, but I'd guess its around 15, maybe 20.

Look at the Metro Subway map (I think this is the one) and one of its stations has a ring of track around it which works like a round-about. This should help reduce congestion...but I've never tried it.
Gwizz
CEO

If I remember correctly, RT3 uses the right hand rule.
Trains preceed on the right. This is why trains will take the right hand track of two single tracks of the same length that join like a siding.

If a train does not stop at the station you can use the tracks at the back of the station by using a routing dot.
If the track is of equal length with the track at the front of the station, it is possible for the train to route itself.
I have used a single track on both sides of the station track for through trains keeping all three tracks of equal length.
For trains that stop at the station and then continue on they would use the normal tracks at the front of the station. (RH rule)

The problem is for trains that turn around in the station.
A train that is loading does not block the tracks.
BUT, They block tracks in both directions when they turn around.

I try to keep the trains from turning around in a large station.

I will use a small station for demand cargo where a train unloads demand cargo to an industry that also serves the large station and turns around to return for more of the same cargo.
Last edited by Gwizz on Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Gwizz wrote:If a train does not stop at the station you can use the tracks at the back of the station by using a routing dot.
That's what I referred to as a waypont in my previous post. ;-)
Hawk
Beancounter
Watchman

Lots of great info!

Thanks Guys,

BC
Orange46
Dispatcher

Congestion was more of a problem in RT2. Wooden Bridges, in particular, created choke points. RT3 rarely has such problems. There is a scenario that takes place in the western rockies where the designer created a situation that created a big jam in the central city on that map (scenario name - can't remember). That scenario inspired Four Road to Berlin
Quality is Job 1.01
EPH
Dispatcher

Once North-South Corridor is released (in the next two weeks I hope) you will see some massive pile-ups in St Louis. In the same way, 'British Miracle' has jams in Birmingham and 'Japanese Miracle' has pile-ups on the Tokyo corridor.

The only cure I've found is to build more stations, if you can.
The optimist proclaims we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true." - James Branch Cabell