Question for Patch Makers - re: File Folders within game

Discussion of Pop Top's last release of RRT.
djrail
Hobo

Question for Patch Makers - re: File Folders within game Unread post

Didn't want to post directly in the "patch makers" section as I know they are working feverishly.

Would there be any chance of somehow implementing a way to have file folders of some kind within the game?

For example a default folder into which all the "standard" maps are placed. Then if you add user content maps you could make a new folder in which to place them. And, especially if you're creating new material, have a folder (or two, or three) to hold all the maps used to create new material for the game?

I find it currently a minor pain to have everything in the one list of maps?
"Seize every opportunity!"
milo
Engineer

Unread post

Umm.... unlikely anytime soon. RT3 doesn't use the standard Windows file dialog box, so it'd involve a lot of code; it'd also require modifying the UI, and nobody's figured out how to edit the .WIN files yet.
Gwizz
CEO

Unread post

I use Windows Explorer and make a number of folders to hold different types of maps, My own maps, Maps that I have changed to fit my own play style and original maps that came with the game that I removed from the map file to keep it small. I also keep patches in their own folder and game parts each in a folder that I have been working on. These folders are in the Tycoon folder but the game doesn't try to read them.
djrail
Hobo

Unread post

Gwizz, understood.
Good idea.
I suppose you could always keep the actual "maps" folder empty and just copy in what you plan to work on prior to starting a game?
Thanks for the help.

milo, I expected it might be an issue with RT3 as is. Maybe something to look forward to in RT4?
"Seize every opportunity!"
Lama
Brakeman

Unread post

Gwizz wrote:I use Windows Explorer and make a number of folders to hold different types of maps, My own maps, Maps that I have changed to fit my own play style and original maps that came with the game that I removed from the map file to keep it small. I also keep patches in their own folder and game parts each in a folder that I have been working on. These folders are in the Tycoon folder but the game doesn't try to read them.
Same here - I also have shortcuts on my desktop to the "Maps" and "UserContent" folders on my desktop - so I don't have to click through the entire tree structure of explorer every time I wan't to swap a map into or out of the main map directory.