Southern US Language for RT3

Discussion of Pop Top's last release of RRT.
OilCan
Engineer

Southern US Language for RT3 Unread post

This is purely for fun.

I've attached a zip file which converts the RT3 text to the southern USA dialect of 'Ainglish'. You will find a file called RT3_SouthUSA in the zip. This works for both 1.05 and 1.06 versions of RT3. I'm not sure about TM.
RT3_SouthUSA.zip
Suthern Ainglish Vershun
(81.87 KiB) Downloaded 222 times
Here are the steps to insert the file and how to save your original, non-Ainglish, language file.

1. Open up your Railroad Tycoon 3 folder and find the DATA folder. The DATA folder has several sub-folders. Find the LANGUAGE sub-folder. It should have 2 files: RT3 and Credits.
language_file.JPG
2. This is important. Rename the RT3 file to RT3_original or some other name which makes sense to you.
step2.JPG
step2.JPG (8.63 KiB) Viewed 9728 times
3. Copy in RT3_SouthUSA to the LANGUAGE folder. RENAME RT3_SouthUSA to RT3. Now you are good to go! (To get back to your non-Ainglish RT3 text, delete the RT3 file and rename RT3_original to RT3.)
Step3.JPG
Step3.JPG (10.48 KiB) Viewed 9723 times
nedfumpkin
CEO

Re: Southern US Language for RT3 Unread post

FYI...it will not work in TM.
Pat in the desert
Hobo

Can you give any examples of phrases with original and Southern-style dialect?
Grandma Ruth
CEO

Has Hawk seen this thread? I can barely understand him when he gets his dander up! And by the way, he has a lovely voice if you want to do Suthun voice-overs.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Yep, I've seen it. Just been a bit busy with web site work lately.

Wha'da'ya mean ya' cin barely un'erstan me? BTW I don't have dandruff. ^**lylgh
Hawk
OilCan
Engineer

Pat in the desert wrote:Can you give any examples of phrases with original and Southern-style dialect?
Well now, the Suthern US way of saying thangs is fer sure the riaght way to say thangs -evertime. All them thar other ways of a-talking Ainglish is jest plain furren and mighty hart t'understand. If'n you can't put in nairy a double negative whilst yer a-talking, then ya ain't a-saying it proper like no how. And, if'n ya don't switch out yer 'd's and 't's ever now and than and drop out any letta which'n ya ain't agonna pro-nounce anyhows, then yer gonna end up soundin' jest like sum city slicker who done got learnt the wrong way.

This heah is a screen picature of a train's carnsist. Pay particular attenshun to the fine, clear way thangs are spelt out fer the player. And don't cha miss the riaght way ta name all them thar cargos.
screenshot1.JPG
And riach heah is 'nother screen picature. I'ma figurin' that most folks wilt be aflockin' ta this heah 'RT3_SouthUS language file' so'sins they can git an aihfull of Suthern Ainglish.
screenshot2.JPG
Hawk
The Big Dawg

^**lylgh
I gotta' use that thar file. :mrgreen:
Hawk
Pat in the desert
Hobo

Thanks for the illustration. The alkyhall and the loomnum probably capture the spirit. Just wanted to see if it sounds really Southerner (does to me, but I'm an outsider), or if it was more of a Texas twang. May need to try a Texas version some day.
KevinL
Dispatcher

This will probably fall under "city-slicker" English, but "just any 'ol cargo" and "just any 'ol freight" should have the apostrophe like this: ol'. The apostrophe goes in place of the letter you're replacing.
Computer: 3.2GHz i3, 6.0GB Ram, 1.5TB HD, Win7, RRT3:1.06, SMRR:1.10
Currently playing: RRT3 - Campaign Scenerios
Currently creating: RRT3 - Southwest scenerio
Stoker
Engineer

This is great stuff. I have been working on a patch/add on for 1.06. My goal is to have the patch fill in some of the missing use / no use issues for the new cargoes and to fix the all- warehouse for new buildings problem as well. One main thing I am trying to maintain is that this patch be 100% backwards compatible with all existing 1.06 and previous versions scenarios, which means that the Cargo types have to stay the same. I have been trying to change some of the more weird cargoes into something useful, like Crystals into a more generic "Glass" or "Sand" by changing the in game icon. I had figured that the in-game display of the cargo names could be changed(leaving the actual "cargo name" intact), and this language add-on does just that. How do I open a .lng file, and what is there to know about the basic file structure once I do?

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke
OilCan
Engineer

I opened the .lng file with Notepad and then make the edits like a word processor. I used the find and replace commands to make most of the changes.

Notepad does not have a "save as" in a .lng format, so do this step first: make a copy of the RT3.lng file and preserve your original RT3.lng file as a backup (e.g. RT3_original.lng). Then open the RT3.lng file with Notepad, make your changes and save. That's it.
OilCan
Engineer

KevinL wrote:The apostrophe goes in place of the letter you're replacing.
I ain't sure jest what kinda fence post trophy yous atalking about or why I'da even wanna mail it, but if'n yer atelling about that time I kilt that thar fence post insteads of that groun' hawg I'll have ya know I'ma shootin' much bettar than that now.
Stoker
Engineer

Thanks a bunch AwlCan, I gots er werkin jus fahn now all thaanks ta yew.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke
Grandma Ruth
CEO

Ey oop, lads, us 'ere in t'North ev a bi' o' bother wi' t'Quean's English, nivver 'eed this 'ere kind o' carry on. Ah'm fair thraped tryin' to unnerstand thee!
Sugus
Engineer

Does this all mean that I have to translate RT3 and TM into Swiss German now? :-D
There's no business like RT business ...
nedfumpkin
CEO

No, but you do have to somehow code into all Swiss maps a feature where each load of livestock will have it's own legal representation. ^**lylgh
OilCan
Engineer

nedfumpkin wrote:No, but you do have to somehow code into all Swiss maps a feature where each load of livestock will have it's own legal representation.
This must have something to do with Swiss regulations, but I don't get it. What is this about Nedfumpkin?
nedfumpkin
CEO

There was an article in the paper about how Switzerland has a lawyer who provides representation for the animals themselves in abuse cases...the most famous case being about a dead fish. :)
OilCan
Engineer

Dead animal legal representation? That's brilliant! You get 100% of the award settlement and there's no way for your client to complicate plea bargaining. Makes me wonder why liars, I mean lawyers, on this side of the big pond have not jumped on this.
Blackhawk
CEO

OilCan wrote:Dead animal legal representation? That's brilliant! You get 100% of the award settlement and there's no way for your client to complicate plea bargaining. Makes me wonder why liars, I mean lawyers, on this side of the big pond have not jumped on this.
As a lawyer I resent that comment.... but free feel to give my card to the next roadkill animal you see.