Problem with Brahelia scenario

Discussion of Pop Top's last release of RRT.
Moggie
Conductor

Problem with Brahelia scenario Unread post

I downloaded the scenario and unrarred it into the maps folder on my RT3 installation. However, the map is not available when I try to start a new scenario.
Moggie
Dogs have masters, cats have staff.
Trainmaster's own Skimbleshanks :)
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Re: Problem with Brahelia scenario Unread post

Do you have the 1.06 patch installed, as it states on the download page?
Hawk
Moggie
Conductor

Hm. Looks like the patches break RTIII if you have bought and installed it through Steam. The game won't starts, just throws a "No disc inserted" or "Wrong disc inserted" error message.
Moggie
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Yep! The Steam version has a proprietary exe file that is created just for Steam by Steam I believe.

What version number do you show on the main RT3 screen on the lower left?
Hawk
Moggie
Conductor

1.05. And it's Valve, Steam is just their content distribution system.
Moggie
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Yea, I know it's Valve Steam. They set up the proprietary exe so that they can update the games they sell.

You have a PM.
Hawk
Blackhawk
CEO

Off-topic rant:

I HATE steam, and will never buy a game off of steam. I used to play Team Fortress Classic/Half-Life/Counter-Strike (TFC) years ago back on a 56k dial up connection. It was perfectly fine... then Value decided hey... let's try out this bloated piece of crap called Steam. So they decided to make any future updates to TFC require you to download and play with steam. Steam turned a game that could run on fairly slow computers at the time, and required you have a much better computer as it was just so slow and bloated. Not to mention then cd keys were required to play and of course my cd key eventually got stolen later and I can't play now unless I find my original cd case and take a picture of it and follow some long process to show that I actually own the key and should be able to play that game online.

I suppose I could go on and on... but I'll go back to work now... Hopefully you have luck in getting 1.06 working on your version of RT3.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Personally I don't hate Steam but I won't have anything to do with it.
I was involved with Microsoft Train Simulator since 2001 when it was released. The a new sim came out, RailSimulator, which morphed into Railworks. It's only offered through Steam and I refuse to buy it. I do have RailSim and I can still create 3D models for Railworks, which I have done - about 24 so far, but I won't buy Railworks.
It was even offered to me free and I turned it down because of Steam. I've seen far too many problems arise that are directly related to Steam.

I even run a Railworks web site and forum http://railworksamerica.com/ . :mrgreen:
Hawk
Moggie
Conductor

Steam may be troublesome for the modder/programmer but for me it has been ok. This is the first time I've seen some trouble.
Moggie
Itsa Timmy
Hobo

Been using steam along time and I can say the new steam proves to be actually useful and reliable, it just took them forever to get the bugs out. I also do appreciate the support valve has given to the modding community and the continue support for all their games (even after all these years, I still see updates for HL1), something you don't see nowadays with game companies. Also steam eliminates the need for other DRM namely secuROM, Something nasty I got from atari awhile back on my old computer that I about ripped my hair out trying to bet a rid of. Its probably still on there seeing as my 3 1/2" floppy drive never worked after that.