Close announcement>
If you need to contact an administrator about account activation (or resurrection)
the email address is: admin @ hawkdawg . com (remove the four blank spaces).
The activation emails should hopefully work now (have changed some settings).

Most frustrating RT3 moments...

Discussion of Pop Top's last release of RRT.
Moggie
Conductor

Most frustrating RT3 moments...

Unread post by Moggie »

I had one just tonight. I was playing Greening the Red Planet and was left 6 loads of fertilizer (out of 500) short of silver. !hairpull! !!
Moggie
Dogs have masters, cats have staff.
Trainmaster's own Skimbleshanks :)
AZ Rail Rat
Dispatcher

Re: Most frustrating RT3 moments...

Unread post by AZ Rail Rat »

That there was no RT4 instead of Sid making that DISGUSTING Railroads! ! :evil: !*th_dwn*! !hairpull!
Ferroequines UNITE!!!

http://azrailrat.com/
Blackhawk
CEO

Unread post by Blackhawk »

AZ Rail Rat wrote:That there was no RT4 instead of Sid making that DISGUSTING Railroads! ! :evil: !*th_dwn*! !hairpull!
That's definitely got to be the top most frustrating moment.

Another for me was when I first got RT3 and started to play it. I was very disappointed with the game play and felt like I wasn't even needed. I played the first few campaign maps and just felt like I was connecting to a city and then sitting back and doing nothing as the trains on auto consist took care of the rest. Needless to say the game sat and gathered dust for a many years after and I went back to RT2, until maybe a year ago or two I gave RT3 another chance.

A general frustrating RT3 moment was not being able to ship at a loss when you needed to get a cargo to a city.

Frustrating TM moments:
-While playing the TM Beta, it took quite the endeavor to get a missile plant to build a missile on Persian Electric. I think I had 2 missile plants, an aluminum plant, and an electronics plant, and maybe more all in the same city trying to get the resources there fast enough to build the missile. (of course I also had to reroute the majority of my trains to not stop in this city or else they'd steal the required cargoes for the missile) Thankfully that's fixed now =)
-Trying to get automobiles to build in Monkey Motors. For some unexplainable reason one of the auto factories would not build cars for me. I think I remember someone else posted that they couldn't get the cars to build either, and when they finally did it was at the opposite factory as I was able to get working. **!!!**
Gwizz
CEO

Unread post by Gwizz »

My most frustrating moment was when I received the latest beta version of RRT3 and had not yet finish my first play through; While it still had bugs, I was enjoying the newly added features. It included almost all of the RRT2 features and they had been refined. Then, I received notice that the game was done. Later I heard that almost all of the new stuff was sweep off the table and what was left of the game went to press. I don't remember what new features were removed now. I guess I could look; but then that would just bring back the frustration.
nedfumpkin
CEO

Unread post by nedfumpkin »

My frustration comes from always having the game switch down to a lower resolution. Not so much in game play, but when designing skins.
BTB
Hobo

Unread post by BTB »

i was playing the Pennsylvania map by Mr. Scott and was playing it slow and thought it was funny that there were win objectives for gold or a time limit and thought i would play to the 30 year mark and see what happens on expert level, and the first map i have tried to play since getting all of these updates with the different versions and coast to coast and trainmaster to work with ned's help :-D

before i hit the 30 year mark, i bought up all of the bankrupted/liquidated companies, bought out all the competition and nothing. connected every city on the map, nothing. 5 years later all double track and electric, own about 80% of my companies stock now, no debt, personal net worth about 150 mil and still nothing. now i would have been happy to see bronze medal at least :-? :-P

go to editor and read and find that there was a no win scenario hehe, my luck of course and should have known better when i didn't see any goals for the game :lol:
cdm44

Unread post by cdm44 »

Laying track, selecting electric track and after laying many, many miles of electric track getting the message that I've selected a locomotive that is electric and that not all my rail is electric. Click on convert all track to electric and it says...................... 99% of your track is electric!! !hairpull!

I think the problem is caused by making Wyes.
cdm44

Unread post by cdm44 »

AZ Rail Rat wrote:That there was no RT4 instead of Sid making that DISGUSTING Railroads! ! :evil: !*th_dwn*! !hairpull!
Agreed. Felt like I was running a cartoon railroad for pre-schoolers.
thietavu
Conductor

Unread post by thietavu »

Must be the moments when it is just impossible to electrify some section of the track. Happens mostly in difficult mountainous tracks. Otherwise my TrainMaster experience is very good nowadays. Especially now when the low-res graphics problem with Windows 7 is gone. !*th_up*!
AMD Phenom X6 1090T @3.9GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600 RAM, Asus Crosshair Formula IV mb, Radeon HD7870, Samsung 850EVO SSD, M-Audio AP192, Windows 10-64, Railroad Tycoon 3 1.06. & TM, Train Simulator 2016, MSTS + many add-ons, Trainz!
JSS
Brakeman

Unread post by JSS »

With me it was when I finally realized that RT3 was not a worthy successor of RT2. Too little that made RT2 a good game was carried over into RT3, Many fundamental changes were made just for the sake of being different and to increase eye candy. For some the new or different features of RT3 outweigh the game play of RT2 but for me they don't.
Railroads had some good features, like track laying, that were far better than RT2 or RT3 but overall as a game it was a write off.

Interestingly CIV4 has many of the same issues. However, there are still enough new features in CIV4 to make it a marginally better game.
The man who has no imagination has no wings. (Muhammad Ali)
Marz
Cat

Unread post by Marz »

I'm sad to say my most frustrating moment was trying to ship 4 loads of meat to monks in the Orient Express. I tried soooo many different ways !!censor!! :-x !!censor!! , only to realize later that I was sending them to the wrong town. *!*!*!

My 2nd most annoying thing is the sound of jets in modern maps. !*00*! It's sometimes like a dentist drill when I pause the game to lay track or study cargo. I peeked into the file "RT3SoundWorldObjects.PK4" and saw a cryptic reference to "rt3_pln_jetsmall.wav", but I am unsure what to do about it. Is this an archive file that can be deconstructed? I'd love to replace it.

Along the same lines, is there a way to have the music folder play other tunes? I wanted to have custom sound tracks, or just throw a few more sounds into the mix, but I think RT3 looks for specific file names.

Cheers!
Blackhawk
CEO

Unread post by Blackhawk »

I don't want to get off-topic in this thread but to answer your questions:
Marz wrote:My 2nd most annoying thing is the sound of jets in modern maps. !*00*! It's sometimes like a dentist drill when I pause the game to lay track or study cargo. I peeked into the file "RT3SoundWorldObjects.PK4" and saw a cryptic reference to "rt3_pln_jetsmall.wav", but I am unsure what to do about it. Is this an archive file that can be deconstructed? I'd love to replace it.
I think there used to be a program or way that let you open up and add/remove things in pk4 files. I don't remember what that way was though or if that was even possible in RT3, as I may just be remembering a different game with Pk4s
Marz wrote:Along the same lines, is there a way to have the music folder play other tunes? I wanted to have custom sound tracks, or just throw a few more sounds into the mix, but I think RT3 looks for specific file names.
For this just move your mp3 files into the folder called railroad tycoon 3/data/music and it will play any mp3's in that folder.