Texture Trouble

Discussion of Pop Top's last release of RRT.
Limskj
Cat

Texture Trouble Unread post

I have got a bit of a problem. After a brief period, the trees will become very pixelated. !hairpull!
Is there any solution to this?
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Re: Texture Trouble Unread post

Is this while you're working on creating a map, or just during regular game play?

What Operating System are you using?
Hawk
Limskj
Cat

Windows 7. It happens everytime.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Every time what? When creating a map or just playing a map?
Hawk
Limskj
Cat

Both. :(

I have a fancy gpu (by RRT3's ancient standards) with 1GB VRAM.

LOL
Hawk: The Bug Dawg
Limskj: Cat

Cat-Dog! :lol:
dazzharvey
Hobo

im the same, im on win 7 and my trees go all pixelated too, haven't been bothered by it much as i haven't added many trees to maps im working on yet but would like to add some eventually :)
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Since you say it happens while playing a map as well as when you're creating a map, it could be the fact that sometimes the newest video cards and drivers aren't necessarily the best for older games.
There might be a way to adjust some settings for your card in the driver control panel that may help, but I wouldn't know how to guide you on that.

If no one else jumps in here to offer suggestions, you might try registering at this forum: http://www.abithelp.com/ .
There's a bunch of pretty knowledgeable folks there that may be able to help out.

Tell 'em Hawk sent ya'. ;-)
Hawk
dazzharvey
Hobo

Cheers Hawk, thanks for the info :-D
nedfumpkin
CEO

and if you find the answer, please let us know. :)
Limskj
Cat

Cheers. (0!!0)

Thanks alot. :)

Sure Ned.
Limskj
Cat

Well at least now I know why it worked on my previous laptop (An ASUS U45JC) - it was built with optimus and so the game used the Intel GPU in it which had lesser vram. It confirmed what I heard: the game's graphics settings don't work properly on gpus with vram 1 gb or greater. :-( At least now I got my ASUS back so it solved my problem. Thanks alot guys. :salute:
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Well, at least you can play RT3 again. !*th_up*!
Hawk
thietavu
Conductor

Limskj wrote:Well at least now I know why it worked on my previous laptop (An ASUS U45JC) - it was built with optimus and so the game used the Intel GPU in it which had lesser vram. It confirmed what I heard: the game's graphics settings don't work properly on gpus with vram 1 gb or greater. :-( At least now I got my ASUS back so it solved my problem. Thanks alot guys. :salute:
Actually, that is no longer the case. RRT3 and TrainMaster run without any problems, even with hardware acceleration on, with Windows 7 64-bit. I don't know if it was something AMD did to their Catalyst graphics drivers, or Microsoft with one of their compatibility updates, or a mixture of both, but now my 1 GB Radeon 5770 runs the game fast and merrily with all graphics set in highest levels. So, at least in computers with AMD/ATI graphics this problem seems to be fixed. !*th_up*!
AMD Phenom X6 1090T @3.9GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600 RAM, Asus Crosshair Formula IV mb, Radeon HD7870, Samsung 850EVO SSD, M-Audio AP192, Windows 10-64, Railroad Tycoon 3 1.06. & TM, Train Simulator 2016, MSTS + many add-ons, Trainz!
JoshM
Hobo

thietavu wrote: Actually, that is no longer the case. RRT3 and TrainMaster run without any problems, even with hardware acceleration on, with Windows 7 64-bit. I don't know if it was something AMD did to their Catalyst graphics drivers, or Microsoft with one of their compatibility updates, or a mixture of both, but now my 1 GB Radeon 5770 runs the game fast and merrily with all graphics set in highest levels. So, at least in computers with AMD/ATI graphics this problem seems to be fixed. !*th_up*!
What driver version are you using? I'm still using 10.6 on my 1GB 5850 because of another game that had trouble with drivers, but maybe I should just update to see if it fixes my textures.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Generally, the latest drivers aren't necessarily the best for older games.
Hawk
Guastardo

Limskj wrote:[...] It confirmed what I heard: the game's graphics settings don't work properly on gpus with vram 1 gb or greater. :-(
So if that is the problem, anyone knowns if there is a way to limit the VGA ram, perhaps via some operative system's option? (Win7 x64 in my case)

Thanks in advance...
thietavu
Conductor

JoshM wrote:
thietavu wrote: Actually, that is no longer the case. RRT3 and TrainMaster run without any problems, even with hardware acceleration on, with Windows 7 64-bit. I don't know if it was something AMD did to their Catalyst graphics drivers, or Microsoft with one of their compatibility updates, or a mixture of both, but now my 1 GB Radeon 5770 runs the game fast and merrily with all graphics set in highest levels. So, at least in computers with AMD/ATI graphics this problem seems to be fixed. !*th_up*!
What driver version are you using? I'm still using 10.6 on my 1GB 5850 because of another game that had trouble with drivers, but maybe I should just update to see if it fixes my textures.
You might give it a try (now I'm using 11.7 - all the 11 series versions have worked, maybe also some 10 series drivers - I'm not sure anymore what I used when the problem got fixed about a year ago or so. But as said, Microsoft has released some "recommended" compatibility updates for older programs, and I quite strongly suspect that one or several of those fixed this game.
AMD Phenom X6 1090T @3.9GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600 RAM, Asus Crosshair Formula IV mb, Radeon HD7870, Samsung 850EVO SSD, M-Audio AP192, Windows 10-64, Railroad Tycoon 3 1.06. & TM, Train Simulator 2016, MSTS + many add-ons, Trainz!
JoshM
Hobo

Well, I updated to Catalyst 11.7 but that didn't fix the textures bug. After messing around and reading online I came up with a solution. :-D
I'm using: AMD 955 x4, ATI HD 5850 1GB, 4GB RAM, Win7 Pro x64

The bug is in fact caused by how much combined graphics memory RRT3 recognizes. RRT3 can only handle 2GB combined memory (32 bit signed integer).
To check the memory go to: control panel>display>change display settings>advanced settings>adapter

Total available graphics memory = dedicated + shared system memory
Dedicated video memory = physical ram on gpu (1024 MB)
Shared system memory = system RAM available to gpu

Shared system memory is set automatically by vista/windows 7 based on installed RAM, even if your gpu does not have hypermemory or turbocache or an integrated graphics adapter.
This doc: http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/di ... emory.mspx says TotalSystemMemoryAvailableForGraphics = MAX((TotalSystemMemory - 512) / 2), 64MB) + Dedicated video memory

Unfortunately, I don't know how to change how much memory is shared by Windows except by lowering the available RAM.
To do this go to: msconfig>boot>advanced options>maximum memory
Set the amount you want and restart.

Here are the results of some testing, setting max memory to 2560 MB seems to be more stable than 2610MB.
Maximum memory/installed RAM:______Total available graphics memory:______RRT3 Total video system memory:
2048_______________________________1791_______________________________1765
2610_______________________________2072_______________________________2046
2620_______________________________2077_______________________________-2045
3072_______________________________2303_______________________________-1823
4096_______________________________2815_______________________________-1309

thietavu
Conductor

Hmm... Not sure I understood that memory issue correctly, but in my system Control panel says:

Total Available Graphics Memory: 4863 MB
Dedicated Video Memory: 1024 MB
System Video Memory: 0 MB
Shared System Memory: 3839 MB

RRT3 TM shows available graphics & system memory to be 743 MB with Control-5 command.

A bit confusing. If there's a 2 GB limit to the combined memory, why does my system still run RRT3 correctly? :shock:

I made no changes anywhere - simply installed all Microsoft's compatibility updates -> problem solved.
JoshM
Hobo

I have all the updates for Win7 too, but the graphics memory is what RRT3 has a problem with.
It looks like graphics memory of 2GB - 4GB is detected as negative while <2GB and >4GB is ok.
For your computer, (8192 MB RAM - 512) / 2 = 3840 MB shared + 1024 VRAM = 4864 MB graphics memory. RRT3 detects about 24 MB less than windows shows, so 4863 MB - 4GB = 767 MB - 24 = 743 MB.