Maintenance Buildings

Discussion of Pop Top's last release of RRT.
belbincolne
Engineer

Maintenance Buildings Unread post

Somewhere here there's a thread of mine from years ago but I cant find it but some of you may remember my commenting on individual scenarios and generally that I dont need to build these and it has no effect on the speed of my trains.

Anyway having had to replace my computer I now have a PC on W7 and a laptop on XP. The first will only let me play RT3 but the laptop has RT6. Obviously downloaded from scratch.

As no-one else seemed able to replicate my lack of need for maintenance I assumed that whatever fluke had caused it would no longer be there and I'd be back to being like everyone else. Not so. On both computers trains run at full speed without breaking down for 20 years at which time I normally replace them because of the high maintenance costs.

Why? And why dont you try it too just to see if its the same because it cant just be my disc that hasn't the need progammed in can it???? :-o :-o :-o
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

Re: Maintenance Buildings Unread post

Do the Oil, Water, and Sand indicators show activity? That is, do they decrese as the train is run? I've never run into this, and the only time my trains slow down is when they run out of sand, water, or oil because I forgot to put maintenance facilities on their route.
belbincolne
Engineer

Yes - all the trains show zero on all 3 after (say) 3 years. I first noticed it on a scenario where Shays were mostly the only sensible train to use and I'd read here (or another Forum - there were others in those days :-D ) that they could go on for ever and I couldn't afford maintenance so didnt put them in - and found that they did. Then I realised it wasn't just the Shays but my other trains chugged on too. So for the last 3 years or so I've never put them and (mostly) got Gold on Expert so clearly theres not been a problem.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Does this happen in all scenarios?
The reason I ask is because in some scenarios, the creator set sand, oil, and water usage to -100% in the editor, which would make the engines use almost none of that stuff.
Hawk
belbincolne
Engineer

Every single one !!!!!!!! And as I said I'm just re-testing and on the 4 scenarios I've played its the same.
Moggie
Conductor

Some locos take some real wizardry to break, others are fit for replacement after 5 years. Maybe Shays are the former...
Moggie
Dogs have masters, cats have staff.
Trainmaster's own Skimbleshanks :)
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

Can you either post or PM me your RT3.exe file? I'll download it and see how it plays on my computer. If it's not there, then it has to be in the Engine Types *.lco files. Ned's done a lot of editing of these and maybe he can chime in on whether Sand/Oil/Water usage is coded into the .lco files.

This is really strange !hairpull!
nedfumpkin
CEO

I can't say if there is a field for sand and oil usage. I am working of the docs that PJay made...I think it was PJay.

Here's the lco file...

LCO file spec (91 bytes)
=========================
00 : 4 : D507 0000 : 2005
04 : 30 : String : loco short name / unique id
34 : 4 : float : top speed
38 : 4 : float : ?1
42 : 4 : float : ?2 (?1 , ?2 : sth with grade climbing)
46 : 4 : float : ?3 (all = 0.5, except E60CP=0.0)
50 : 1 : byte : ?4 (diesel+electric+fairly+shay=255, others=?)
51 : 4 : int : acceleration
55 : 4 : int : passenger appeal
59 : 4 : int : reliability
63 : 4 : float : cost
67 : 4 : int : fuel type
71 : 4 : float : fuel economy
75 : 4 : float : annual maintenance
79 : 1 : byte : US availabillity
80 : 1 : byte : EU availabillity
81 : 1 : byte : WORLD availabillity
82 : 1 : byte : padding : 00 or CD
83 : 4 : int : ?5
87 : 4 : int : ?6

It is possible that 83 and 87 are for oil and water usuage...sand too? I dunno, but I would be interested in finding out, of course.

My experience is that these things do matter.