RRT3 Crashing to Desktop

Discussion of Pop Top's last release of RRT.
rrt3rookie
Hobo

RRT3 Crashing to Desktop Unread post

OS Vista Home Premium, 32 bit.
RRT3 patched to 1.05.
Vista fix installed.
No significant system upgrades since last played.

I have been playing the game in this configuation for years but haven't played it for a few months.
Today I tried to start it up. The main menu opened up, then the game crashed to the desktop.

I know I've seen somewhere on this forum where others have had this problem. I searched but can't find an answer.

Help! Thanks.
rrt3rookie
Hobo

Re: RRT3 Crashing to Desktop Unread post

I discovered the issue. It seems odd. I'll try to explain it.
I installed RRT2 in October and it created a rather odd directory set up for it. The last time I played RRT3 was prior to that installation of RRT2. After several various attempts to get RRT3 working I thought that maybe the config file may have got corrupted, so I went to replace the config file with the Vista fix config file. When I looked at the RRT3 folder with the config file it showed the last it had been accessed was in October. I thought that was odd so I searched for another config file. Lo and behold, there was another whole set of sub folders under another RRT3 folder that mirrored the primary folders. I looked at that config file and that had been accessed the same day.

So as odd as it seems, my shortcut was trying to run out of the new sub directory where the old version of the config file now resided. Why, I don't know. I don't know if it was something VIsta did or was related to installing RRT2. THe "new" RRT3 subdirectories had the same configuartion as the RRT2 directories.

Anyway, once I copied the VISTA fix to the config of the new sub directory, I was back in business and it was saving my games to th new sub directories.