I'm Planning on Getting RT3

Discussion of Pop Top's last release of RRT.
pschlik
Cat

I'm Planning on Getting RT3 Unread post

Title says all. I was wondering if anybody had any warnings about that game, tips, tricks, mods I should get, etc. before I dive in. I do plan to buy it on Steam, and I'm really regretting not buying it when I bought RT2 ages ago when it was on sale. I was misled by the warning about being incompatible with never versions of windows, I should have done research before not buying it. Now though, I'm fine with spending the $10 on it, but I don't know much about it beyond some YouTube videos, but I am convinced. So, if there is any advice out there, I'd be glad to know it !$th_u$!
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Re: I'm Planning on Getting RT3 Unread post

Before buying it on Steam, you should read this thread.

viewtopic.php?f=82&t=3419

You should also read some of the other relevant to your situation threads in the forum titled RT III Installation
Hawk
Blackhawk
CEO

I don't know if people have been successful at patching the steam version as we have various versions of RT3 here. 1.05 is the last official patched version, but people made their own version in 1.06 with extra cargoes and industries and shipping at a loss. There is also Trainmaster which is another mod of the game with an enhanced industry system that takes more effort to get working correctly and is a fun challenge. I would say if you can find it buy the CD version of the game that would probably be the better version to buy.
pschlik
Cat

Blackhawk wrote:I don't know if people have been successful at patching the steam version as we have various versions of RT3 here. 1.05 is the last official patched version, but people made their own version in 1.06 with extra cargoes and industries and shipping at a loss. There is also Trainmaster which is another mod of the game with an enhanced industry system that takes more effort to get working correctly and is a fun challenge. I would say if you can find it buy the CD version of the game that would probably be the better version to buy.
Well, if I can work with the Steam version, I'm willing to. I'd rather avoid worrying about a disc, Steam makes it easy to keep a fresh install around, even if I do need to move it out of the Steam folder. With the Steam RT3.exe, I assume the No-CD patch .exe would not have problems with the unofficial patch, right? **!!!** That way I could avoid the drama of a CD and still get the most out of it.

Ok, I bought it, and installed the no cd patch, I could install 1.06 and the other fixes, it works fine. I think I'll have a lot of fun with this game.
pschlik
Cat

I've been playing RT3 a lot and installing mods, but I've noticed that most of them, especially reskins, have an odd effect only at night where certain parts of the train have a yellow outline, as if they are glowing. I've looked around, and I'm not sure if anybody else has experienced this or if I've done anything wrong. I am using 1.06, but the same thing happens in 1.05. :-? Any clue what it is?
Lots of parts have a glow on their outline...
Lots of parts have a glow on their outline...
I've looked at the support htmls, and it seems that this is a known glitch with the texture filtering being forced on/off by certain graphics cards, but my Nvida one supposedly has no problems. I even fiddled with all of the program settings but found nothing. I have no clue what is going on, it would be nice to know of anybody else did.
Falcen81
Hobo

hello,

Your re-skin for the locomotive has a alpha channel problem. !*00*! !hairpull!

That is the U.V map used to wrap around the 3D model from the locomotive.
The Alpha channel removes unwanted items, makes it invisible so see, in the game.

The glowing is the result of a wrong setting in the alpha channel, need to be corrected in a advanced graphics editor. (like GIMP)
someone else had the same problem, i had it also, and still have a few.

at the link they give solutions and other links, who also relate to the same problem

viewtopic.php?f=67&t=3623&p=35816&hilit=glowing#p35816

hope this helps you out !!howdy!!
pschlik
Cat

Falcen81 wrote:hello,

Your re-skin for the locomotive has a alpha channel problem. !*00*! !hairpull!

That is the U.V map used to wrap around the 3D model from the locomotive.
The Alpha channel removes unwanted items, makes it invisible so see, in the game.

The glowing is the result of a wrong setting in the alpha channel, need to be corrected in a advanced graphics editor. (like GIMP)
someone else had the same problem, i had it also, and still have a few.

at the link they give solutions and other links, who also relate to the same problem

viewtopic.php?f=67&t=3623&p=35816&hilit=glowing#p35816

hope this helps you out !!howdy!!
Thanks! I don't really understand how to get textures out of an existing model to edit them yet, but I can figure that out no prob. I can survive without tons of repaints until I do fix them. !*th_up*!