Upgrading bridges

Discussion of Pop Top's last release of RRT.
railtrek56

Upgrading bridges Unread post

I'm playing the British Isles scenario linking London and Edinburough. Early in the game I built a single track, wooden trestle bidge over the Thames. I'm trying to convert to a stone bridge and it will NOT let me demolish the bidge. I can delete track up to the bridge but not the bridge.

There are no trains on the bridge or the approaches to the bridge. I was able to upgrade a wood trestle just south of Edinbourough with no trouble.

Curiiously, when I first built the London bridge, I stopped just on the North side of the river. Then when I connected a long run of track due North, the track comes up to the bottom of the support pier. Trains going North take a precipitous drop and continue on. Trains heading south suddenly leap vertically when they reach the bottom of the pier. Speed is unaffected. The Edinbourough bridge looks fine.
djrail
Hobo

Unread post

Any chance you might have a station too close to the bridge?
Or maybe some other real estate?

That too causes issues when trying to upgrade. And not just too close to the old wooden bridge, but too close to "where" the stone bridge would go causes problems.
"Seize every opportunity!"
railtrek56

Unread post

Eureka. The station sits practically on top of where the bridge starts.

If I move the station, I assume that will affect the routing of any train assigned to stop there? What If I place a sceond station, then delete the first station? Or am I still sucking wind.
EPH
Dispatcher

Unread post

The best thing you can do is:

1) identify all the trains that call at that station
2) PAUSE the game
3) delete the station
4) delete the bridge
5) re-lay the bridge
6) replace the station (and rename it if you desire)
7) go to each of the affected trains and re-place the station in their route
8) restart the game

Make sure you have enough money (or can issue bonds & stock) to carry out the improvements before you begin.
The optimist proclaims we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true." - James Branch Cabell
Eb Zane
Watchman

Unread post

1. Stop game
2.. Cut track
3. relay track to another crossing
to the east has worked best and up over Cambridge.
4. Restart game

No rerouteing etc. Down side you still have maintenance cost for bridge.