RRT3 DVD - What to do with ISO file?

Discussion of Pop Top's last release of RRT.
djrail
Hobo

RRT3 DVD - What to do with ISO file? Unread post

Forgive the "newbish" question, but what do you do with the ISO file?
"Seize every opportunity!"
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Unread post

An ISO file is basically an image that you would need to burn to a DVD.
It's not the same as burning a CD or DVD normally. You would need a burner program that can work with ISO files.
That's about the best way I can explain it. Maybe someone will come along and explain it better. :oops:
Hawk
Thawed Out
Hobo

Unread post

And if all you have is an ISO file, then it is most likely going to be construed that you have an illegal pirated copy and most likely there will be no help.

if that is not the case, then please explain the circumstances further and I be more than happy to be of some assistance
ChrisW
Watchman

Unread post

Uh, I believe dj is not talking about a DVD for the game itself, but for a user-created disk that has a ton of RRT3 maps on it, for which Hawk posted a link to the .ISO file in this thread here. So it should be perfectly legal.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Unread post

Oh yea, it's perfectly legal. Molse set it up as sort of a web site on a disk.
Hawk
djrail
Hobo

Unread post

Let me rephrase the question...

* And yes, I own and LOVE RT3

I'm just wondering how one actually uses an .ISO file?
Is it a simple case of burning the file to a DVD as is, then voila you have useable material? Or does it take more than that to make a functioning DVD out of the file?
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Unread post

It's sort of a simple case of burning it to a DVD, but you can't just drag and drop. The burning software you use should have an option to copy an ISO file.
Once burned to a DVD, when you fire it up it will look and act like a web site.
Maybe this link will help explain it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_image
Hawk
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Unread post

Here's something I just found that might help with the ISO file.
It's a free utility for burning an ISO image to a CD or DVD.
It's called ISO Recorder and can be found here.
I haven't used it myself since my burning software has the option needed for ISO files, but I thought it might help if your softwware doesn't have the ISO option.
Neat thing about this utility is it's free, but donations are accepted by the creator.
I have no reason to doubt the integrity of this utility as I found mention of it in a weekly newsletter I get called Windows Secrets, which I find to be a very informative newsletter.
Hawk
Thawed Out
Hobo

Unread post

I understand now, sorry if my previous post sounded a bit sour, I did not intend for it to be...

Yes, there are a few ISO burning utils around the net that are free, and all of them will work equally well, as ISO is a standard format. also any dvd burning software that came with your burner (or with the computer if you purchased your computer with the burner installed) will have the ability to burn ISOs, and occasionally, WinRar can unpack .iso files as well, very much like a zip file.

I have Windows Vista which has it's own DVD burning engine, so I don't need any special software anymore, but when I had WindowsXP, I used Nero Burning Rom, Sonic RecordNow DX, or Alcohol 120% to backup my software CD's and created .iso files on one of my hard drives as masters.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Unread post

Thawed Out wrote:I understand now, sorry if my previous post sounded a bit sour, I did not intend for it to be...
Actually, even though you were slightly misinformed this time your intentions were honorable. Piracy is a definite No-No! :wink:
Hawk
djrail
Hobo

Unread post

I appreciate the help and will try a burn.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Unread post

Let us know how it goes.
Hawk