New game or fixed game?

Discussion of Pop Top's last release of RRT.

Would you rather see a better RT3 or an entirely new game?

Fix RT3 already!

33(80%)
RT3's old news. I wanna start over!

8(20%)

Total votes: 41

milo
Engineer

New game or fixed game? Unread post

One topic that came up during modding discussions was the effort required to turn RT3 into what we hoped for RT4. Given that we don't have the source code, it might actually involve equal or less effort to build a new game than to extend the existing one. However, the new game would likely have its own problems, would necessarily have to diverge enough from the old one to stand on its own, and would >not< use a completely open development-by-committee process - see the progress of Transport Empire for a cautionary tale.

[BTW, before the modders panic - this is about the direction long-term development should take, not about what we're doing now!]
canis39
Brakeman

Unread post

Do you think it's actually possible for this community to create a new game?

I love RT3, so if the few remaining issues can be fixed, I'm all for that. But...if a new game can actually be created that takes the best of RT3 and adds even more to it, it would be hard to argue with that.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Unread post

I voted for Fix it Already. With this new rig I got I might even be able to run JSS's SCBC. :lol:

BTW! I moved this to the right forum. :wink:
Hawk
milo
Engineer

Unread post

canis39 wrote:Do you think it's actually possible for this community to create a new game?
I don't really know, but there's one way to find out. :)

The Transport Empire project did identify some existing open-source game engines, which might be able to save us some time. We seem to have several enthusiastic model-builders, at least a couple of entry-level coders, and a vast amount of collective knowledge on how historical railroads worked. We'd have to spend a lot more time putting the graphical assets together, but we'd also save a lot of time spent in understanding how RT3 works and how to attach new bits to it. The new game would come with >no< scenarios - the file formats wouldn't be backwards-compatible with RT3 - so we'd have to put those together too.

[There's a personal reason to research this as well - I'm not sure how the firm I'm joining in March will feel about my extracurricular activities...]
Gwizz
CEO

Unread post

I voted for fixing RT3.

I caught a virus or crashed my 40G hard drive and had to switch to the big one.
Can't seem to clean or fix the small one so maybe a new computer is my best way to go. Then maybe getting XP, I can run some of my new programs.

I'm still planning on doing art work for RT3.

Either way I'm interested.
bombardiere
Dispatcher

Unread post

I voted fix RRT3 also. I doubt I have skills, time or willingness to put an effort for this kind of project. I really don't know what this Transport Empire is. For example how much effort they are making for 3D models? I checked the web site, but couldn't find a simple explenation on what they are doing... If it si based on Transport Tycoon deluxe, that is really yesterday's news.

If there would be a source code, yeah may be, but now.....
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

Unread post

I voted to fix it too. It seems that most of the things that people wanted fixed can be fixed in the sort or long run, and with 90% of the game already in place and to most folk's liking, it seems a waste of time to start from scratch.
AZ Rail Rat
Dispatcher

Unread post

Looks like I'm in the minority here (what else is new). I would like to see a "next generation" set of graphics. Something closer to MSTS train and building realism and scale, but with RRT3 flora, ground textures, GUI operational (mouse zoom, rotate, etc.) and map making capabilities. That's why I voted to "start over".

I can't help but think the economic simulation could not improve with some new form of programming developed over the past few years. In order for most computers to handle the better graphics, it needs to be cleaned up to not take up so much processing time.

Finally (in addition to all our DREAM fixes), I would like to see a much more realistic dispatching system, but not so complicated that it turns it into a simulation instead of a game. In fact, that change would be most useful in a multiplayer environment. There could be players who do not have a railroad company, but are the outside influences such as banker, government, military, dispatcher, broker/agent, etc.

OK ENOUGH ALREADY - It ain't going to happen :cry: (unless one of you out there won the PowerBall and plan on hiring us all at AT LEAST the lifestyle to which we have become accustomed, and for some of us, a notch or two better :P :P :P ).
pure al
Dispatcher

Unread post

Fix (more like improve). I’ve helped create some small games, and know how difficult it is to make them successful.

*starts to panic* :D
Eb Zane
Watchman

Unread post

In generall I'm satisfied with the RRT3 as it has been deveolped here. The main thing I'd like to see is the consist and shipping at a loss. In that same line of thought it would be nice if there was a ez way to store cargo at the station until YOU want to pick it up.

EZ
milo
Engineer

Unread post

Okay, okay! The Community Hath Spoken. With a fiery mob all leaning on the switch, I guess we're staying on the patch route. :)

Thanks to everyone for their opinions.
aasta
Cat

Unread post

I just joined this forum a couple of days ago. I voted to improve RRT3 also. But it is my sincere hope that anything that is done with the game keep those of us who use Macs in mind. As I see it, we are all interested in this game, and I wish the old 'which platform is better' argument wouldn't get in the way.
aasta
milo
Engineer

Unread post

Unfortunately, it's not a matter of 'which platform is better' as much as 'which platform has a volunteer to code for it'. I don't have time to figure out how to port the 1.06 changes to Mac, unfortunately. 1.05A-developed maps will still work with Mac RT3.
acorn_farmer_84
Brakeman

Unread post

i say fix Railroad Tycoon 3,
sure, creating a whole new game would be ideal,
however i doubt we would be able to create a 3-d style game form scratch,
Simutrans and stuff have massive communities working on them,
and have been going for a while,
yet they are still 2d, though i must admit i think the gameplay is in many ways better than RT3),

:)
Canadian Viking
Brakeman

Unread post

I'm voting for a new game for several reasons. By the time another year or two go by, we should have more advances in graphics that can produce a better looking game. The next generation game needs to be more multi-player friendly. And the list of possible game improvements is long enough to be challenging to a developer. But in order to recover their development costs, the designer will have to charge new game prices. Giving out free patches won't pay your costs, and charging for an add-on to a game that wasn't a big hit won't work financially either.

RT3 is a fine game. But at first play it seemed to work much differently than the earlier Railroad Tycoons, so the early publicity wasn't very favorable and didn't help the game sales really take off. Those of us who stuck with the game came to appreciate the new economic model and car-loading capabilities. The next time around customers will be comparing to a different standard and will need to be attracted quickly by the game play.

I think a new game has potential to be marketed to schools as an aid for teaching history and financial markets. Those things would need to be taught in short scenarios, not 25 - 50 year ones. But if the game could be successfully marketed that way, it would really boost sales. And then if kids like it in school, even more games will be sold. That could make someone into a real tycoon! (0!!0)
WPandP
Engineer

Unread post

I was leaning heavily toward voting for patches, but in the end I selected a new game. I am enjoying creating new content for the game, but what I don't like is how difficult it is, and there are still things we cannot do that we ought to be able to.

So, my thinking is that a fan-community-created new game could potentially be mostly open-source. In fact, you might not create the game so much as create the tools to make the game... create the equivalent of a 3DP editor, for instance, and let the mod community go at it, creating all the content. Trainz kind of works this way; while they give you a fair amount of default content to begin with, they count on you going to the Download Station to get more goodies.

I agree with others, in that modern computers can handle games with greater memory and processing requirements, so we could do away with limits to user-created content. And the 3D models could be a little more detailed, though as a strategic game I don't think it needs to be unduly encumbered with flashy graphics. But a new game would afford opportunities to include features which simply cannot be modded into RRT3.

Of course, for a new game which is a commercial venture, how would you determine which contributors earn what percentages, or who the actual publisher is? Would you perhaps set up a system whereby content creators get a small amount whenever their content is downloaded, and the programmer(s) who built the software tool used to create the content also get a little bit, such that there never is a central "company" to take in the revenues? Just wondering.
=Winchester, Paston & Portsmouth=
====== We Provide Pride! ======
wsherrick
Engineer

Unread post

I have an idea that once you start talking money and who gets what-Then that's when the trouble starts. But as has been said elsewhere, I think that since we have so many gifted, motivated people who want to improve the game the framework for an evolved or greatly modified version will eventually develop. I hope so at any rate.
proudcanadian
Conductor

Unread post

Personally, while RT3 may have its flaws, I still find it a very intruiging game and great to play over and over again. And while a new game could fix many of the flaws of the game, I think there is still a lot in the old game that could be expanded on, and we could still keep playing without attempting to completely overhaul it. So I vote to fix the game
I don't drive a dogsled to work, I don't live in an igloo, and we're the SECOND LARGEST COUNTRY ON EARTH!!!
aasta
Cat

Unread post

[/quote]the new economic model and car-loading capabilities.[/quote]

Okay, Canadian Viking, at the risk of my looking like a dope, would you mind explaining just what you referred to above. I'm just not sure what it is you mean.
And one thing that I'll risk saying about car-loading capabilities (hoping that we're talking about somewhat the same thing, is that with the flags in RT2 I often managed to leave a particular cargo at a station for later pick-up. So far as I've been able to tell, that feature is missing entirely from RT3, no? At least, I think I've read posts mentioning that shortcoming.
Just hoping to learn a little something here.
aasta
aasta
Cat

Unread post

WPandP wrote: (snip) I am enjoying creating new content for the game, but what I don't like is how difficult it is, and there are still things we cannot do that we ought to be able to.
I have a lot of time to offer, but not much experience, nor talent, I'm sure. And to possibly complicate things further, I use a Mac. But I'll ask anyway, how can I contribute to this project? Which programs would I need. Where do I find instructions and such?
I'm not able to afford expensive programs like Photoshop or such, and have no experience with them. Is it still possible for me to contribute?

[/quote]I agree with others, in that modern computers can handle games with greater memory and processing requirements, so we could do away with limits to user-created content.[/quote]

I'd like to say that I think it would be a good thing if a community like this one would still try to keep in mind those who may be constrained by (family?) money matters, etc., to using older computers. Whatever the solution for that consideration may be, I don't know, but it's a nice thing to not leave folks out.

[/quote]And the 3D models could be a little more detailed, though as a strategic game I don't think it needs to be unduly encumbered with flashy graphics.[/quote]

I suppose I agree, basically. But I'm very dissatisfied with the inability to make really very good-looking maps in RT3 as compared with RT2. To me, they usually look washed-out and I think that's a bit boring.
aasta