RRT3 Going Nukular

Discussion of Pop Top's last release of RRT.
nedfumpkin
CEO

Re: RRT3 Going Nukular Unread post

Just a quick note to say that the testing I have been doing on industry has been so far working out. I still have lots of tinkering to do.

Over the few two weeks I am going to busier with other stuff, so my time is going to be a bit limited. I am going to try to get a few things done, then I am going to pack everything up as an alpha version so others can try it out.

One problem I have run into is to get gold treated as an express cargo. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.
WPandP
Engineer

I remember milo saying, when the 1.06 patch was being developed, that it simply wasn't possible to add more express cargoes; there's passenger, mail, and troops, that's it.
=Winchester, Paston & Portsmouth=
====== We Provide Pride! ======
nedfumpkin
CEO

It must be hard coded into the game then. Too bad.

I have 3 of 4 armoured cars done. They aren't the best job in the world but they will suffice. I looked all over the internet but couldn't really find anything to help me out so that are just basically riveted steel over box cars, then mail cars.

I'm making them carry gold, ammunition, explosives, and isotopes.
WPandP
Engineer

I did the same thing - I scoured the net for any images of such cars, and the best I could some up with was a reinforced subway car in New York, I think, that is used for the "money train", which was the subject of a movie a few years ago. However, a subway car is not a general revenue car, so I'm not sure it's best to use it for your purpose.

I also found one lionel-type toy boxcar that was wooden, painted green, and lettered for Western Union. I don't know how accurate this is, but it could at least serve for the "B" era (1850-1900).
=Winchester, Paston & Portsmouth=
====== We Provide Pride! ======
nedfumpkin
CEO

I used imagination and lots of rivets :) Here's what I came up with....

For the A era (1830-1849)

armoured_a1.jpg
armoured_a1.jpg (81.44 KiB) Viewed 3395 times

For the B era (1850-1899)
armoured_B1.jpg
armoured_B2.jpg
armoured_B2.jpg (53.24 KiB) Viewed 3394 times
nedfumpkin
CEO

For the C era (1900-1949)
armoured_c2.jpg
armoured_c1.jpg

For the D Era (1950- )

armoured_d1.jpg
armoured_d2.jpg
coruscate
Dispatcher

Looks good, getting eager to play.

I sent you the Tourist Trap skin. I'm going to skip the second trap for now and finish up the two second fix I have on the airport and get the shipyard underway. If we can shorten the shipyard somehow it might be cool throw together an industrial fishing pier.
nedfumpkin
CEO

After looking at the armoured skins a bit more, I think I am going to make some minor changes to them since I don't like how the bottoms of them look.

My biggest problem right now is time to do stuff. The weather is really nice so I am trying to take advantage of it and sell poppies for Remembrance Day. It's killer on my back so I also have to factor in recovery time.

And then, on top of that, I have a pre-hearing conference on Friday that I have to prepare for.

And then there's the whole job thing where they expect me to show up on a regular basis. :)

If I get the chance, I want to make an upload available for a new set of rolling stock for folks to use. It should be compatible with any version of RT3. It will be one pk4 file and the associated cargo. I'm almost done this.

Then it will be just finishing up the industry and making some maps.

I took a look at the tourist trap skin and it looks really cool. Can't wait to see the shipyard, and airport. With luck I may have some time on the weekend, but most likely not. I'm going to be busy until Remembrance Day.

Of course, I still read everything posted hear because my morning coffee would taste the same otherwise. :)
nedfumpkin
CEO

Just an update...progess is much slower since I am distracted by other things right now, but what I have decided to do is assemble the rolling stock into "kits" and then let people install whatever they choose.

I've noticed that there is a dearth of Canadian rolling stock in the game so I am making some skins to deal with that. I'm going to allow it so that you can choose which skins get loaded with the rolling stock.

The first kit is going to be the passenger coaches, mail, troops, and vans. For the US roadnames I will include the skins that WP&P made. If on the other hand you want some Canadian stuff, I am going to be making skins based on the following...

A era the Champlain and St. Lawrence Railroad 1832-1851

B era the Grand Trunk 1852-1871

C era will be the Canadian Pacific 1871-1893

D era will be the Toronto Hamilton & Buffalo 1894-1949

E era will be Canadian National 1950-1980 since my formative years were spent staring at the black and white CN coaches. It'll also go well with the GP7 skin I am making for CN

F era will be Via for passengers 1980-

I'm also going to change as much as I can with the dining cars so that they are represented in the game as 1st Class rather than a dining car per se. Vans will expire from use by the 1990s.

The reason I have the TH&B is because I am planning on doing a scenario based on it connecting the three cities. The map will cover SW Ontario, Upper NY to Michigan.

I am going to try to make it so that the files can easily be changed to allow different rolling stock depending on preferences and game scenarios.
coruscate
Dispatcher

Bumping for the new people and question, how far did you get with generating the graphics, hex files for the cargo and industry associated with the new military defense cargos?
nedfumpkin
CEO

I am actually quite close to completion. At least for an alpha version to be tried out. I was hoping to have done a pre-release before I got busy with the hearing this week, but ran out of time.

Things are going to be a bit slower for me for the next few weeks, and I am getting back into it. I am hoping to have something by the end of the year, but as you know, life can take over at times.

Mostly I am at a stage where I am putting together the rolling stock for the new game. I am almost done this, but I still want to offer users the option of American or Canadian express cars. Or I might make a mix of them.

I may have to wait to do the TH&B stuff until later since my purpose is specific to a scenario I want to write.

I still have testing and probably tweaking to do on the new industries, but for the most part they were working well.

I'll try to sort everything out and give a more accurate status report in a few days.
coruscate
Dispatcher

Finally found your cargo list again 8p

two thoughts since I'm collecting my own thoughts at the moment....

1) I was thinking of using coffee to either to represent special latin procucts (like chocolate) or to use it to represent breakfast items (like pork). Just an idea.
2) Looking at missles... how about "high end" or something like that? Because missles are just military and just higher end explosives, whereas a more generic "heavy industrial" could represent tanks being shipped (seen plenty of that), or aircraft parts.
nedfumpkin
CEO

Coffee was given up in favour of gold. Gum is still a southern crop.

I thought of doing two types of missiles but decided against it. Missiles aren't just higher end explosives, they use explsoives, but at the same time use the same components in weapons, so they are more the next level in the chain.
coruscate
Dispatcher

How does the gum work?
nedfumpkin
CEO

Gum is produced by the tropical plantation. It ships in tankers to rubber factories to be made into rubber products, and also to the confectionery where it is made into food. (small amounts). It also goes to the lumber mill to be made into lumber with pulp, i.e particle board.
Stoker
Engineer

Mmmmm, chewy latex! How about WAX so we can make "wax vampire teeth"? ;-)

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke
Stoker
Engineer

nedfumpkin wrote:Gum is produced by the tropical plantation. It ships in tankers to rubber factories to be made into rubber products, and also to the confectionery where it is made into food. (small amounts). It also goes to the lumber mill to be made into lumber with pulp, i.e particle board.
A suggestion here. I like the idea of having composite wood products, but to my knowledge "rubber" or "latex" type products are not and never were used as bonding agents. Both plywood and particle board are made using "resorcinol" which is a phenolic(modified wood lignin) type of adhesive product originally, and sometimes still, based with a formaldehyde solvent. So technically, CHEMICALS+PULP would be a lot more accurate production chain. !#2bits#!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke
nedfumpkin
CEO

Okay, that makes sense. I'll make a note and correct it.