Some advice for a total computer idiot on how to edit locos?

Discussion of Pop Top's last release of RRT.
Altoona+BeachCreek
Conductor

Some advice for a total computer idiot on how to edit locos?

Unread post by Altoona+BeachCreek »

Hello all, I just read Bombar's tutorial on how to edit locomotive files, and there was one thing missing by the time I got to it: PJ's tutorial on hexediting. Therefore, after downloading the XVI32 hex editor, I about had a heart attack. Let me explain: :lol:

I'll start by telling you what I was expecting when I wanted to modify locomotives. I thought I could take the .lco and 1 or 2 .car files depending on the loc, and put them in a new folder, rename them, and then use some third party program to open these files in a 3d-rendering environment. Think of that Google 3D program, I forget what it's called. Of course, this would be in a perfect world, and it's much more complicated than that.

Now, I guess what I'm asking for is a tutorial in standard English with some far more simple advice on hex editing and how it works. So far, I have no idea whatsoever on how those little numbers translate to physical objects. I've got to walk my dog, so I will really be delighted if I come back and see some genius tips from the pros!

(Current Project: NYC 4-6-4 Dreyfuss. Modding: CPR Royal Hudson)
"Train roll on, on down the line. Take me many miles from my home."