Newbie here with questions

Discussion of Pop Top's last release of RRT.
bmheron
Hobo

Newbie here with questions Unread post

Hi everyone,
I've been playing RT3 for years, silently, not aware there was a community of fellow players out here. So glad to find this forum! I have version 1.00 running and pretty much completed all of the scenarios and campaigns to gold at the highest level. And it looks like there might be a slew of patches and downloadable scenarios and maps? So a couple of beginner comments/questions:

1) I'm running Windows 7 on a work computer. sounds like people had some trouble installing patches.

2) Really Id just like to play some new scenarios. Are they something I can just download? Or do I need to upgrade to a specific version/patch?

3) what's the "coast to coast" patch I keep reading about?

Not looking to do anything crazy, just enjoy playing the game with some new challenges. Anything else you'd recommend?

bmheron
Blackhawk
CEO

Re: Newbie here with questions Unread post

Welcome to the forums. :salute:

-Windows 7 is easier to get it working on than Windows vista. Many people have been able to just install and patch the game and it worked correctly, although others had to use a few tricks to get it working.

-Most of the fan made scenarios are either version 1.05 or 1.06. Version 1.05 is the last official patch, while 1.06 added a few more locomotives, added the ability to sell at a loss, as well as variables (which are important for scenario makers). (1.05 maps and 1.06 maps are not interchangeable and should be played on the correct version of RT3)

-Coast to Coast is also known as the 1.04 update patch. It includes fixes to the game, ~8 new locomotives and ~13 new maps.

If you were going to do something crazy you could try installing the fan made mod to RT3 called Trainmaster (TM) but it is a much more difficult version of RT3 and there are not many scenarios for it.

One thing many of us do in order to play most scenarios is to have multiple installations of the game so we can play the 1.05, 1.06, and may even the TM scenarios. This thread can help you with multiple installations: viewtopic.php?f=82&t=2363
bmheron
Hobo

thanks thats some good info. had no idea the different patches would include exclusive maps. cool, maybe to start i'll try 1.04 coast to coast and see how it goes. if it works, i have 13 new maps! will check out the multiple installs. thanks!
OilCan
Engineer

Welcome to the forum, bmheron. I had almost the same questions and concerns when I first found this website. I didn't want to 'mess up' the game as I knew it. Well, I downloaded the patches and coast to coast and have never regretted it. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
I also downloaded the 1.06 version and have greatly enjoyed that version of railroad tycoon. I've spent lots of hours playing the 1.06 version.

There are many great games created by users of this forum for both the 1.05 version and the 1.06 version.

Follow Blackhawks advice and create different folders for the 1.05V and the 1.06V.
bmheron
Hobo

cool thanks. am researching more now and see it looks like i have to install the 1.03 patch first? I tried just installing the 1.05 coast to coast patch but it failed when i tried to run after install. so assume its the T&L graphics thing. so now looking for the 1.03 patch but dont see it here on the website.
OilCan
Engineer

I'm out of my element on updating from 1.00 version, but if I recall correctly you are right: you have to update in sequence of versions.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Doesn't the Vista patch change RT3 so that the Hardware T&L is disabled? I could ave sworn that was the purpose of that patch.
Of course that nothing will work in patching RT3 if it's installed in the default directory, as discussed in these two topics,

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3564

viewtopic.php?f=82&t=3567

as well as other topics found in the RT3 Installation forum.
Hawk
bmheron
Hobo

thanks for your help hawk. will work through my patch issue on the other thread. once i get that working i'll come back here with questions.
bmheron
Hobo

Just completed Coast to Coast. that was a fun one. awesome. expert, gold in 15 yrs.
Sugus
Engineer

Hi bmheron

Maybe my way of installing RT3 on XP, Vista or W7 may hopefully lead you to a suitable longtime solution. So, let's go:

(1) Install RT3, as you bought it (i.e. from CD1), but not into Microsoft's provided directories! (These are "protected" for unknown reasons and, sorry, I hate these "glorious inventions" made by the Sillicon Valley guys.) So, better use something like "C:\Games\RT3" instead ... and do not run the game in at this point.
(2) Install the "Coast to Coast" patch ... and, again, do not run it now in any way.
(3) Install the Patch 1.05
(4) Install the Vista-Fix (not required on XP), i.e. copy this special file 'engine.cfg' replacingly to 'C:\Games\RT3\Data\Configuration'.
(5) To avoid messages about "a missing or wrong CD", you should perform a special step at this point (ask me or Hawk via PM). "exe-Files are in the air ... dada didi dada doooo ..."
(6) Now start the game the first time and specify your preferences (screen solution, etc.), but do NOT AT ALL touch the settings of "Disable Hardware T&L" - or you will be shot back into the dark ages ...
(7) Copy (using the sample directory names as shown above) "C:\Games\RT3" to the manually created directories e.g. "C:\Games\RT3 P1.05" and additionally to "C:\Games\RT3 P1.05 Clean". The first one will be used thereafter to play the game on Patch 1.05 level, whereas the second one is your backup copy. Instead of reinstalling the whole story due to "strange behaviour" after e.g. having installed additional add-ons, you can get a functional version by simply cleaning and copying back from this backup directory.
(8) Rename your "C:\Games\RT3" into "C:\Games\RT3 P1.06" and install there Patch 1.06.
(9) Copy "C:\Games\RT3 P1.06" to "C:\Games\RT3 P1.06 Clean" (same reasons as mentioned above).
(10) Set up a desktop link to RT3.exe in both "..P1.05" and "..P1.05", and it's done! Ok - You finally should decorate these links with the differently colored icons made by - help me - OilCan? ...

If you intend to go on with Trainmaster, you could rely on a copy of "C:\Games\RT3 P1.05 Clean", i.e. copy it to e.g. "C:\Games\RT3 TM" and install the related things into this directory (of course with an additional desktop link in green, ähh orange, ähh ... :-D ).
There's no business like RT business ...