Editing or completely wiping out High Scores

Discussion of Pop Top's last release of RRT.
toosoonold
Cat

Editing or completely wiping out High Scores Unread post

Is there a way a not so bright guy can either clean out or edit the High Scores in RT3? I'd like to get rid of some ot the ancient results. :-)
low_grade
Dispatcher

Re: Editing or completely wiping out High Scores Unread post

Yes there is, my friend. Assuming you know how to browse your file folders. Open the one with your RRT3 game files. Open the Data folder. Open the Other folder. Delete the file highscores. A new one will be created next time you start the game with the same default results new games start with, but all your old personal high scores will be removed from the list.
toosoonold
Cat

Thanks for the quick response. OK I can see how to wipe out the current file and replace it with a new empty file. Is it possible to use Wordpad, Notepad, MSWord, Paint or something like that to remove only selective entries?
low_grade
Dispatcher

Can't hurt anything to try, let us know how it goes!
Sugus
Engineer

Hi toosoonold
Due to your initial post I'm working now exactly on that "problem"! ::!**!

Means: I'm extending my "RT3 map overview utility" to become it a "RT3 user tools utility" (or simply "RT3 Tools"). The first step is the integration of a (private) highscore list, which allows you to either backup entries from within RT3's highscore list into your own "database" by extending them with a 'date played' and a 'comment' as well as - and that was the problem - to delete selected entries from RT3's file "highscore.dat".

The overall intension concerning "RT3 Tools" is to - step by step, of course - also integrate editors related to engines, building types etc. (Seems that 2012 wil not become one of the most boring RT3 years for the Saurian programmer Sugus! ^**lylgh )
There's no business like RT business ...
low_grade
Dispatcher

Saurian?

On the high score subject, impossible to do I'm sure, but I'd like to see some way of gauging success beyond the simple 150 points for Expert Gold, etc. Yeah, I know, not possible, but it would've been nice. Would require measurable scenario goals with points being awarded for how well they were met, and probably a base scenario difficulty to multiply by.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

low_grade wrote:Saurian?
Any of various reptiles of the suborder Sauria, which includes the lizards and in former classifications also the crocodiles and dinosaurs.
He probably meant it as to a dinosaur. Slang for someone that is on up in the years and does things the old school way. ;-)
Hawk
Sugus
Engineer

Yes - dinosaur! That's the kind of programmer I am ... :-D (0!!0) :salute:
There's no business like RT business ...
CeeBee
Brakeman

RRT3 quit working so I uninstalled and then reinstalled up to 1.05/no cd. However all my previous high scores are still showing and I want to start over. I couldn't figure out where they were so I looked around and found this thread. Problem is I still don't know where they are. My data/other folder has 4 entries. Airplane types txt. emitters.dat gamespy.ico and particles dat. No sign of anything related to high scores. Any other place they could be hiding?
CeeBee
Brakeman

To answer my own question in case anyone else has this issue... probably a win 8 or 10 thing maybe. The pathway is
local disk(C:) Users/Owner/AppData/Local/VirtualStore/Program Files (x86)/Railroad Tycoon 3/Data/Other

The maps are duplicated here and the save games are here as well. Gotta love Microshaft. They certainly know how to make things more complicated than needed. ^**lylgh
Cash on Wheels
Conductor

CeeBee wrote:To answer my own question in case anyone else has this issue... probably a win 8 or 10 thing maybe. The pathway is
local disk(C:) Users/Owner/AppData/Local/VirtualStore/Program Files (x86)/Railroad Tycoon 3/Data/Other

The maps are duplicated here and the save games are here as well. Gotta love Microshaft. They certainly know how to make things more complicated than needed. ^**lylgh
Does it wipe all of the "high scores" away?

That list does this game no justice. Did the player cheat? What was their PNW & CBV? How soon did they finish the scenario?
CeeBee
Brakeman

The default ones were there. 2 campaign and 3 regular ones. The regular ones are pretty bad so they will be off the list after I play 10 games.
Cash on Wheels
Conductor

I'll try when I get home. Right now I'm 2000mi away & counting.
RulerofRails
CEO

Or, you can open the high-score file (highscores.dat) in a hex-editor and hack it yourself. . . . It's easy to change your high-score to whatever you want. It's a simple hex integer. However, I assume (didn't test, only tried this just now) that the game only calculates the position of a score when it goes to update the list. The consequence is that to maintain numerical order you will likely have to shuffle scores manually after editing scores.

Personally, my trick to get more info in my high-scores is to put after my name a little more info, such as year completed. One example: for the map American Rails I put "RoR Nov 82."

However, I don't rely on this. I will tend to do a saved-game just before a medal for any game that I imagine is significant for my development as a player or for a game I especially enjoyed.

If someone wants to try to hex-edit their high-scores it's pretty simple. The file header is 8 (this and following values are decimals) bytes long. Scenario scores are then listed (campaign scores are last), beginning with the highest (latest if equal). Each scenario entry is 106 bytes long. The score itself is located at position 82 of the entry. So you will find the first score at position 8+82=90, the second at 8+106+82=196, etc.. The format is 32-bit hex integer so the classic "150" for Gold-Expert win is represented in hex as 96 00 00 00. Hint: use your hex editor to do the conversions to/from hex for you.