Wyoming Valley Map For RRT3

Discussion of Pop Top's last release of RRT.
LWVRR1964

Wyoming Valley Map For RRT3 Unread post

I'm making the final adjustments to the RRT3 version of my Wyoming Valley Map. It should be done in a couple of days.
This map is bigger then the SMrailroads map of the same name. It covers all of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys of northeastern Pennsylvaina.
I'm planning of making the base map first, then followed by 2 senarios.
The base map will have 6 other railroad companies...LV, PRR, D&H, NJC, DL&W and the Erie. All 6 companies where the major players in the areas history.
The first senario deals with the rise and fall of the hard coal industry of the area. I'll be using real names and events on the map.
The second senario will be about the Laurel Line, one of the first electric railroads in the country. The goal for this map with to run the Laurel Line with profit and see if you can make this railroad company survive into the 21st century. There will be much detail and facts mixed into this senario.

The overall base goal for this map is basically getting goods out of the valley and bringing exports into the valley.

As always, anybody is welcome to make thier own senarios for this map! :D
Cliff
Watchman

Unread post

Hi LWVRR1964 -
The first senario deals with the rise and fall of the hard coal industry of the area. I'll be using real names and events on the map.
Can't wait to try it out! I'll admit that I downloaded your Wyoming Valley map for SMR, but never played it because I was tired & bored with playing Sid Meier's Railroads!
-- Cliff in Virginia
LWVRR1964

Unread post

Cliff wrote:Hi LWVRR1964 -
Can't wait to try it out! I'll admit that I downloaded your Wyoming Valley map for SMR, but never played it because I was tired & bored with playing Sid Meier's Railroads!
-- Cliff in Virginia
I got tired of playing SMRailroads too. I think the game still needs some work.

The map for RRT3 offers more. I can put far more detail onto a map.
LWVRR1964

Unread post

The map as been sent to Hawk for posting.

Please check out the game play on the map and let me know if I need to make some changes before I start creating senarios for it. :D
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Unread post

Wyoming Valley has been added to the archive.
Man--I love this new archive layout. It only took me about 15 minutes to add this map, compared to about an hour before.
That includes taking the screen-shot and doing all the batch conversions and editing on it.
Hawk
Cliff
Watchman

Unread post

Hi LWVRR1964 -
Please check out the game play on the map and let me know if I need to make some changes before I start creating senarios for it.
Just spent a couple of hours with your neat Wyoming Valley map :D Nicely painted! Very enjoyable, and easy to lay track. Playing in expert mode, with no scenario goals, I just set out to make a fortune and take over all the AIs. Played for about 10 game years; got all the AIs but one -- whenever I took over one AI railroad, there was still enough cash around to start another one. Anyway, I had about $20M company cash & annual profits of about $8-9M, LOTS of purchasing power to take over whatever & whoever, but I just got bored with it.

Anyway, suggestions for scenarios:

1. The industry growth is too high: I made a fortune buying newly hatched basic industries -- mainly virgin dairies & cattle ranches; could hardly keep up with the new ones -- had to let a couple go by because I didn't have any money at that particular moment.

2. The start-up cash is too high. I think I started with $3M company cash, with which I immediately bought a paying T&D for $1M, and spent the rest over the coming months on virgin dairies & such. Didn't take out a bond until the following year.

!$th_u$!

-- Cliff in Virginia
LWVRR1964

Unread post

Thanks Cliff :D

I'm having a problem with industry balance on this map. It seems that either there is to many or not enough.

I did a test run on this map last night. I did well but 4 of the 6 railroad companies went bankrupt within 10 years.

I have lots of tweeking to do on this map before I start working on the first senario.
Cliff
Watchman

Unread post

Hi LWVRR1964 -
I did a test run on this map last night. I did well but 4 of the 6 railroad companies went bankrupt within 10 years.
On my test run, none of the AIs lasted 10 years -- I bought 'em all out, most of them after I had connected to them, or connected them together, so that they weren't operating in the red. The last AI -- a late starter -- immediately connected three of his own stations & connected to me, plus he bought some industry, so he was gang-busters from the get-go. I could have bought him out, but he would have just turned around and started another company.

I played about 10-12 years, not very long; I think I quit just after the first steel mill appeared, whenever that would be. It got to be like playing in the sand-box mode.

-- Cliff in Virginia
davion76
Watchman

Unread post

I haven't played the map yet, but maybe you should consider increasing the price of buying industries.
LWVRR1964

Unread post

I'm re-working the industrial economy of the map as we speak.
LWVRR1964

Unread post

I'm still working with this map. I've added bonuses to the AI companies, lowered the amount of resorces on the map. I also added more demands via warehouses.

As I test this map, I still have the same problem...the AI companies are not strong enough.

Any other ideas to make this base map more playable?