British Miracle version 2

Discussion of Pop Top's last release of RRT.
EPH
Dispatcher

British Miracle version 2 Unread post

I've been tinkering with British Miracle, and I think I have some of the kinks worked out. My intent is for British Miracle, TransContinental, Farewell to Steam and Japanese Miracle to form a mini-campaign of sorts, and I've always felt British Miracle was the weakest of the set. Now, perhaps, this can be remedied. :-)

Ports now function more like the ports in Japanese Miracle: finished goods are converted to a larger amount of raw materials, building up in a feedback loop to supply large amounts of industry. Also there are new events, and some tweaking of the old ones.

If anyone would be interested in playtesting this before I send it to Hawk, please PM me with your email address.

Thanks!
EPH
The optimist proclaims we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true." - James Branch Cabell
JayEff
Conductor

Re: British Miracle version 2 Unread post

PM coming your way. JM is one of my favourite scenarios. The design of BM is similar so I am a bit mystified why I don't enjoy it as much. I would very much like to test BM2 and provide some input.
EPH
Dispatcher

As I said in my reply to your PM, I like JM better too... I think because it has a wider variety of cargos and locomotives, and because there is a small but changing group of tasks for the player to master.

BM was issued with fixed-production and consumption at the docks because I couldn't get going the feedback loop that makes JM so much fun (for me, anyway). The result was... bland, other than the battle of the gauges, which I like a lot. The new version has very high exchange ratios at the docks, plus 'seed-corn' fixed-production docks to get the chain moving.

I have hopes of making this one fun and interesting, as I think Japanese Miracle already is. Ideas, help and constructive criticism are sincerely requested!
The optimist proclaims we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true." - James Branch Cabell
JayEff
Conductor

JM:
I notice that at Niigata you have a swap with one fertilizer yielding one wool. The port needs to make a profit or it will not make the swap. Have you ever seen this work? If not, try one for two, or one for three.

BM:
1. Depending on hauling progress, a player might find it ho-hum to be finished with the battle of the gauges, and still be facing a lot of hauling to do. There is much more hauling required than in JM.
- You could add in some little mission but not after the battle of the gauges.
- You could shorten the scenario and reduce the haul requirements.

I have yet to play through the new BM.
EPH
Dispatcher

I can't remember any reason to swap fertilizer for wool... Perhaps that was part of my research on post-war trade with Russia? There is usually enough wool/cotton in the Tokyo area to run a reasonable textile industry so I rarely bother with Niigata. Once electrical generation gets going, the production multiples kick in and that would make the swap higher than 1 to 1 (more like 2 for 1).

I want BM to run through 1870 so the American Civil War (and the cotton blockade) can be modeled. Certainly it is possible to win the game earlier - I just did it in 1860. Perhaps a stiffer tax, or some event to markedly increase overhead?

Once the gauge issue is settled, there is the minimum express speed, the funding for docks expansion, the necessity of building to Edinburgh and the development of a weapons/ammo industry. But somehow this isn't enough to keep the player busy... Once I have the routes set up for cotton/clothing, logs/lumber, iron and coal I don't usually have to tweak them much. When steel becomes available it is fairly easy to build enough goods to make the 1000 goal. Oddly, 2000 clothing is harder to do. In any case, I haven't found the 'haulage' requirements to need any supervision.

Any suggestions for additional 'missions' would be helpful. :-)
coruscate
Dispatcher

It's 1851. Well I have most of Britain covered, but haven't gone into Scotland, I'll make silver not sure about gold yet until I get everything connected. The scenario is fairly realistic, but the 12 MPH thing is fairly hard to hit with the aggressive building I had to get into just to get towards silver.

We'll see how it goes in the end. I do appreciate the extra work all over the map with the new cities and what not...
coruscate
Dispatcher

1855 and I'm throwing in the towel. I've satisfied silver for coal, and will "shortly" for clothing but here's the problems:

1) No chemical plants on the map (need them for munitions plants
2) No weapon or munition factories on the map. Not that it's impossible for me to build them, but when I'm focused on everything else it's difficult.
3) I chose the cheaper gauge, and spent the last four years in the game (I did win the battle of the gauges thingy) changing all my locos over to the new ones due to the speed requirements. And trying to double track. BUT...
4) You're killing the game with the over-realism of the taxes, fines, etc. etc. etc. My rail network covers all but like four cities and I'm running in the red every year now, I can't make any money whatsoever because I'm being fined to death. As soon as I make 500k I get fined or taxed 600k (or dock repairs!) and I'm further and further in the red. Saving up the money to buy access to Scotland just isn't going to happen. I haven't even tried to buy industries or build hotels and the like. And mind you, I haven't been fined for speed in about 2-3 years in the game, so I'm running in the red without losing 50k a month.

4 is the biggest problem, but 1 requires a fix. 2 and 3 are just annoying given the size and scope of problem 4.
coruscate
Dispatcher

Further information, I was playing on easy and had at one point, run up 7 million in bonds to get started, but had paid the very last of it off 2-3 years prior to quitting. Stock sales could net me money but why while I'm running in the red? The dock expansions were optional but when you combine the ten year payment plan with all the taxing and what not... well there you go. I had a map CHOCK FULL OF LOADS. Even little bitty 3/4 start and 1 star cities had 6-8 loads tall of random loads stacked up in them, the normal sized cities had MASSIVE loads stacked up in there. All of my trains made a profit of 100-200k, with a few in the 300 range and an exception of a 400-500 job here and there. But I was still in the red. I'd come out for a blink of an eye then be right back two million in the red just a few months later. It just wasn't working.
EPH
Dispatcher

Chemical plants aren't active in the 1830-1870 time span, so adding them to the map would not be useful - they would not produce chemicals until after 1900. Munitions factories begin by using 1 iron = 1 ammo; in 1856 they go to 1 iron or 1 steel = 1 ammo.

The 12mph requirement is, as you say, historic. Keeping locos updated to the newest model will usually do the trick, along with some judicious double tracking (Manchester, Birmingham, London, Bristol). I usually double-track the entire length from London to Birmingham, for example, and in extreme cases I've build additional stations (London and London East, for example). You can use the density filter to see which rail lines are heavily used (red and dark red); these are the ones that need help. :-) Once the Firefly comes available, converting over to that engine will largely solve the speed problem with trains of 6 cars or less. The 'fine' is $50k per month, or $600k for a whole year; it is annoying - by design - but not crippling.

You will need lots of trains... I usually run four or six on the Liverpoole-Manchester route alone, and eight as London-Birmingham expresses, with more on the Birmingham-Coventry-Oxford-Slough-London route. A side venture into Ireland can be very profitable, as there are usually enough varieties of cargo there to justify building industries and rails. I don't know about real-life, but in my games Lurgan always ends up a major industrial city in Ireland.

Coal is king. Get above 50 loads per year as soon as you can. This will trigger an event to permanently increase coal production in a large way, plus it is coal that determines how productive your factories are. With 50 loads or more per year, your raw materials will multiply and your factory output increase... in my last game I had 2 expanded steel mills each making 40 or more cars of steel per year.

Industries are important. From the start I usually connect Liverpoole to Manchester, buy a textile mill there and set about hauling cotton/cloth on dedicated trains, in addition to the 4 trains for regular cargo. Rapid expansion to Wigan-Preston-Lancaster, and south to Stoke-Wolverhampton-Birmingham is essential. It is good to get to Birmingham before an AI player does (if there are any), but if not, just build another station and keep going.

From there I concentrate on building up (and buying up) the textile industry in the North, connecting to Shrewsbury (coal and/or iron) and then on to London. London-Birmingham and then London-Bristol are very profitable routes. Hereford usually has coal coming upriver, and Cardiff is a great place to find coal, as are some cities on the east side (Newcastle-Leeds area).

You must build or buy industries as needed, or service existing ones if you can't buy them. The textile industry around Manchester and Bristol will pay large dividends, as will the sugar/alcohol trade from Liverpoole to Worcester and Bristol to Slough. Building up a lumber and pulpwood chain out of the eastern ports (Southampton, London, etc) will also pay. Owning the industries (since the game doesn't always build them where you want them) pays extra.

Not sure where your cash-flow problem is, though there is an intentional kink around 1840-45 as your first locos come up for replacement and the Battle for the Gauges comes down to the finish. I am usually awash in money by 1850, but I do know all the ins-and-outs of the scenario. I would encourage you to try again, with emphasis on building up the cargo chains for cotton-cloth, sugar-alcohol, logs-lumber, pulpwood-paper, owning the industries where possible and expanding them as needed. Above all, get your coal haulage above 50 loads per year as soon as possible.

British Miracle requires you to win the Battle of the Gauges, but it isn't just about expanding track miles. The railroads need functionality - hauling raw materials from the ports and finished products to them. Expanding the economy is the real purpose of the scenario...

I'm sorry you had a bad experience in your first game. I hope you'll try again; I think British Miracle has high replay value.

Feel free to PM me or post here with questions or comments. :-)
JayEff
Conductor

I got fired somewhere in the middle of upgrading the ports while paying taxes. If you get fired, there is little chance of getting back into the game unless you have 51% control of a company. Anyway I have started again. I hope to grow quickly and eliminate debt before the taxes come.
JayEff
Conductor

Ok I finished my second go. I got Silver on Expert. I missed gold my not shipping enough goods and clothing. I suppose I did not pay enough attention to those missions earlier in the game, as I was focused on expansion to win the battle of the gauges with broad gauge. I had awesome speed though. I would probably have won if I had gone with standard gauge, and gotten to 45 cities sooner.

Anyway, EPH, I don't think I can fault this scenario. Like your other scenarios it captures the atmosphere of the era, more with the help of creative, clean coding than anything else. {,0,}
Last edited by JayEff on Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
EPH
Dispatcher

I confess I don't play on expert - not 'expert' enough, I suspect. :-P

I'm currently playing out a game and taking notes. I'll post the results in a few days as a year-by-year report. Not as story-oriented as 'Most Hated Man' (which is now lacking its pics, curse you AOL), but in a short, follow-along form. Hopefully this will serve as a guide (and inspiration) to other players.

Thank you for the comments and suggestions! !!clap!! Any thoughts on other events or goals that should be included? Is the scenario difficulty level about right, or should it be easier or harder?
Hawk
The Big Dawg

EPH wrote: Not as story-oriented as 'Most Hated Man' (which is now lacking its pics, curse you AOL),
Good thing I downloaded the pics from AOL before they got lost. The full story, with pics, is still available at this link: http://hawkdawg.com/rrt/rrt3/hm/HM_Cover.htm
;-)
Hawk
EPH
Dispatcher

God bless you, Hawk. Next time I come up Atlanta way the coffee is on me.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Next time you come up Atlanta way, you buy the coffee, I'll buy the Krispy Kreme. (0!!0) (I wonder how many know what I'm talking about? :mrgreen: )

BTW! It's always been a part of my site ever since you wrote it, linked to on the main page of my site as well as the main RRT3 page. ;-) !*th_up*!
Hawk
proudcanadian
Conductor

Ah, how I miss Krispy Kreme. There was one store in Toronto that I used to go to whenever I was down there, but the company closed all their Canadian stores not long ago. But those donuts are like nothing I've ever tasted.

Wow, (*!!topic
I don't drive a dogsled to work, I don't live in an igloo, and we're the SECOND LARGEST COUNTRY ON EARTH!!!
Hawk
The Big Dawg

proudcanadian wrote:
Wow, (*!!topic
Shhhh! Don't tell anyone. ;-) ^**lylgh
Hawk
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

Hawk wrote:....I'll buy the Krispy Kreme. (0!!0) (I wonder how many know what I'm talking about? :mrgreen: )
I do. We have 'em in stores up here.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

I didn't think Kripsy Kreme was that spread out. Learn something new every day. :mrgreen:
Hawk
EPH
Dispatcher

Krispy Kreme uses potato flour. Potato bread browns nicely and the batter fries well (something about the sugar content of potatos, I think). But Krispy Kremes have a distinct almost-bitter aftertaste. The solution is to eat another doughnut before the aftertaste kicks in... and then another... :lol:

Hawk, I'm going to put the play-by-play for British Miracle next. If it doesn't belong here, feel free to move it. :-)