RRT3 Music

Discussion of Pop Top's last release of RRT.
MrScott2007

RRT3 Music Unread post

I've never noticed this before. I added some mp3 music file to the game. One thing I've noticed is that the added songs are not as loud as the original music. I also just noticed that when one of the added song plays, the music completely stops until I re-start the game.

Is there a certain kind of music file thats needed?
proudcanadian
Conductor

Re: RRT3 Music Unread post

I had the stopping problem happen to me when I uploaded some songs from RRT2 that didn't make it into 3. However, I deleted the files it occured with, and it hasn't happened since. Other than that, I haven't really noticed much of a difference in volume. As far as I know, the game's music files are just regular MP3s. **!!!**
I don't drive a dogsled to work, I don't live in an igloo, and we're the SECOND LARGEST COUNTRY ON EARTH!!!
MrScott2007

The music I added plays about 40% softer then the regular game music. I can still hear it, but it's a little on the soft side. Maybe I should check my sound settings.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

That's weird. I added a couple of MP3 files to my music folder and I don't recall having the problems you describe.
I don't have the added MP3's in there now but I believe I'll try again ad see if it happens to me.
Hawk
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

I've got a ton of MP3 files in my "Music" folder and don't have a problem. Could be that one of them is corrupted or is an unrecognizable bitrate, and when the game tries to play it it craps out and won't play any more.
coruscate
Dispatcher

Wolverine is probably right. Mp3s, especially if you did not encode them yourself, are known to be slightly buggy outside of the major media players. Too many amateurs and too many messed up freewares involved...
MrScott2007

Here is what I did...
1.I re-installed RRT3 1.5
2.I copied and pasted the mp3 files from My Music folder to RRT3 music folder.
3.I checked each sound option in the RRT3 setup.

It dosen't seem to matter which sound option I use in RRT3, they all sound the same. The original music sounds good. The music files that I added sound about 40% softer. As before, once the added song plays the music stops until I re-start the game. I use Rhapsody to upload and store the music from my CD collection. I have about 740 songs at this time. The song sound good in Rhapsody. My sound driver is Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS (WDM). I find it interesting that I'm the only one having a problem with this.

Off the subject...
Here are some of my railroad building song.

Take Me Home, Country Roads/John Denver
Spinning Wheel/Blood Sweat & Tears
Family Of Man/Three Dog Night
City Of New Orleans/Arlo Guthrie
Shambala/Three Dog Night
Hot Rod Lincoln/Commader Cody
Hitchin A Ride/Vanity Fair
Free Ride/Edgar Winter
Running On Empty/Jackson Browne
Ramblin Man/Allman Brothers
In The Summertime/ Mongo Jerry
Allentown/Billy Joel
Long Train Runnin'/Doobie Brothers
Black Water/Doobie Brothers
coruscate
Dispatcher

If you play the game mp3 files and your own mp3 files in a separate player from the game do they sound the same volume?

I'm going to try this soon, the game music isn't bad but if I can customize...

...can I just toss any MP3s I want in there and delete everything that is there?
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

MrScott: How many files are you putting in the folder? Start out with just a couple and see if they stop 1)after the first song is played or 2) after one of your added songs is played. You could also test by copying the game MP3 files to a different folder (temporarily) and adding in your custom songs a few at a time and try and determine which one is making it stop. Coruscate's suggestion about trying the game and your music files in a different player to check volume is also a good test. If they have the same volume in a different player, then there's something in the game (I doubt this). If they are a different volume regardless of which player you use, then it's the songs, and you would need to reencode them with increased volume level.
MrScott2007

Wolverine@MSU wrote:MrScott: How many files are you putting in the folder?
Just the song that I listed.

I tested I few RRT3 songs in Rhapsody and Windows Media Player 11 and they sound fine.

Ever since I got RRT3 I had a problem with adding custom songs. But the problem with the music stopping is new.
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

Beats me? **!!!**
MrScott2007

Wolverine@MSU wrote:Beats me? **!!!**
Beats me too! !hairpull!
coruscate
Dispatcher

What platform (Vista?) are you on?

I was just wondering perhaps if it's a driver problem...
MrScott2007

XP, SP3 The sound card is a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS, driver 6.0.1.1241 12/12/2006.
coruscate
Dispatcher

2006? Is there a driver update out there for you?
MrScott2007

I never really looked. I never had a problem with it....except with RRT3.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

I have an old Sound Blaster Audigy sound card and according to DXDiag the driver I'm using is V-5.12.0001.0136 dated 11/5/2001
My card is so old none of the new drivers work with it, although my card does work fine with 5:1 speaker set up, with woofer.
I have Altec Lansing speakers (5 plus woofer) hooked up to it.

The reason I mention this is because I don't have a problem adding MP3's to the music folder. I don't know if this will help or not. **!!!**
Hawk
MrScott2007

It's like I said, I really don't have a problem with it exept with RRT3. I've tried all the different sound settings in RRT3, but they all sound the same to me. Heres what I started doing. I'll start rhapsody, pick a long line up of songs and then shut off the music for RRT3. It works pretty good.