Brainstorming "forum owned" history

Discussion of Pop Top's last release of RRT.
coruscate
Dispatcher

Brainstorming "forum owned" history Unread post

Okay, so for my next map I just want to "play" so I'm not worried about creating any real representation of any real country or history, which leaves... well everything open. I've got a mountainous region with one giant lake, runnoff rivers cascading down into smaller lakes... tourism, and a reasonable amount of most industries. At most I may specialize in a farm of one type or another, import 2-3 of them and the same for ores.

So anyone feel like contributing anything?

When I say "forum owned" I mean we can all use it in our own scenarios.

Politicians, companies, disasters, city names, whatever 8p

http://healthyinsanity.com/railroad/mappreview.jpg

I've come up with the theme for the level.

Release the Krakeeeeeeeen!

I'd like to figure out how to make an AI that's obsessed with buying the industry and pit the player, at least for part of the map, against this AI's industry buying abilities. If it's possible to "force" a computer AI to buy a company by using the event that turns over control then I should be alright. We'll just see how that goes. Checking player industry types owned would also be nice but I don't think I can do that...
coruscate
Dispatcher

Re: Brainstorming "forum owned" history Unread post

http://healthyinsanity.com/railroad/

Updated the preview image and uploaded a version of hte map with only lakes and rivers. Still early, some of the lake enbankments are all messed up, BUT... it shows you what I'm doing if anyone wants to jump in (0!!0)
proudcanadian
Conductor

Well, I don't have any ideas for the time being, as I'm still coming up with the events for my upcoming scenario, Borduria After the War. However, if you want to take a look at a really long storyline, my previous scenario, the Zany Land of Baffania. If I think of anything, I'll give you a heads up here.

BTW, the map looks awesome! :-D
I don't drive a dogsled to work, I don't live in an igloo, and we're the SECOND LARGEST COUNTRY ON EARTH!!!
arop
Dispatcher

:-) I don´t hope that the map you have planned is too montanious. My map Montania was built the way, that prebuilt railways (which are deleated at game start) can be build with a maximum grade of 3% and I use to smoothen the tracks the way, that most stations are situated in level. Sorry, I find many maps with cities placed on mountain tops with gradiens between 4 and 11 are unrealistic to connect and too bumpy track does not look good. Use the "lake" tool in the editor to prebuilt the right of way, it looks better!
coruscate
Dispatcher

Arop, for your concerns simply grab a copy of my San Diego map and you can see I don't do that.

My idea at present is for some ore industries up the side of the mountain, a gambling, wealthy region on the peninsula on the huge lake, a few fishing piers around it and then produce / ranching in the valleys.
Use the "lake" tool in the editor to prebuilt the right of way, it looks better!
And what do you mean here exactly?
arop
Dispatcher

The "lake tool" means, that paint a lake where you place a city to keep the area around a station in level as most stations in the real world are. Method: Editor-Paint terrain-oceans/land/choose lakes. Strike "shift" and point at the map with the cursor, until you find the wanted hight of the lake-paint the lake, where you want to have an area in level-paint land. I hope I have explained myself on my insufficient English (Danish is my native tongue) :-)
coruscate
Dispatcher

Oh, okay, there's a tool that's better for that. Go right where the tool to make mountains and valleys is, and the tool in the lower most, right hand corner is the "plateau" tool. Using that you can flatten any area more naturally that just totally flat. And to check out how much you need to do, just run your icon over the city icon and the city's growth area will highlight.

I hope that makes sense ^_^