"missing" industries

Discussion of Pop Top's last release of RRT.
coruscate
Dispatcher

"missing" industries Unread post

Otherwise known as the "float an idea for an industry and who knows it might catch on."
WPandP
Engineer

Re: "missing" industries Unread post

Coru's got the right idea here - one could theoretically create a very simple shape by hex editing to create a whole new 3DP file, to be the basis for a racetrack. In my mind, I could see a flat rectangle onto which the oval track is painted (skinned), with maybe a wedge shape on one side to be the stands. It wouldn't do the industry justice, though, probably look more like a high school football field. To do something better is really out of reach.

I'm willing to teach someone who is interested how to go about 3D editing via hex, if someone wants to make an attempt. At the moment, though, I am pursuing my freight car overhaul, which will turn each single car into cuts of 2 or 3 cars, resulting in longer and heavier trains to pull. This will keep me busy for a while!
=Winchester, Paston & Portsmouth=
====== We Provide Pride! ======
KevinL
Dispatcher

This probably only applies to me, since I'm an auto racing enthusiast, but is there room for a racetrack? Either a 1/4 mile NHRA drag strip, or a NASCAR stock car oval track. It would demand passengers, automobiles, and alcohol, at least, and generate waste in the later years.

Milwaulkee and Indianapolis opened in the 1900's, and NASCAR and the NHRA took off in the 1950's, for reference.
Computer: 3.2GHz i3, 6.0GB Ram, 1.5TB HD, Win7, RRT3:1.06, SMRR:1.10
Currently playing: RRT3 - Campaign Scenerios
Currently creating: RRT3 - Southwest scenerio
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Stickyed! ;-)
Hawk
nedfumpkin
CEO

KevinL wrote:This probably only applies to me, since I'm an auto racing enthusiast, but is there room for a racetrack? Either a 1/4 mile NHRA drag strip, or a NASCAR stock car oval track. It would demand passengers, automobiles, and alcohol, at least, and generate waste in the later years.

Milwaulkee and Indianapolis opened in the 1900's, and NASCAR and the NHRA took off in the 1950's, for reference.

Technically yes, but someone would have to make the track from an existing industry. The stadium might work.
coruscate
Dispatcher

Stadium would be your best bet, I don't think you need something to look like a racetrack but if you did we'd have to look into creating a building or two. If I did, it would be a square building on a flat piece of mapped "earth." I don't know how complicated that would be, WP&P would know, but I'm personally not ready to dig into 3dp yet.

I don't mind making the industry for you at some point, or something that could somehow represent it.
KevinL
Dispatcher

Changing the stadium is what I had in mind, too. !*th_up*!
nedfumpkin
CEO

Just thought of something....a filling station/garage. Right now diesel is attracted by houses, which could be for heating fuel or gasoline, but a gas station could be used for diesel, and could have progressive demands over time. Could also be a car dealership for automobiles.
Stoker
Engineer

You could also make it demand tires, and then stop demanding tires and demand foodstuffs around 1980 when "service stations" became convenience stores. !*th_up*!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke
WPandP
Engineer

Keep in mind that RRT3 is designed around railroads specifically - it's not a full-fledged economic simulation. While a Gas Station would be neat, and might well be achievable, the fact remains that railroads did not deliver car loads of fuel to such facilities. The game abstracts the need for fuel by making houses carry that demand, so that population centers generally require it; this gets past all the distribution network, whereby the fuel is dispensed to delivery trucks which then make the rounds to local filling stations. In a sense we don't even really need any of the commercial buildings or stadium, though they do spice things up.

Rather than the Gas Station, perhaps a Fuel Distributor would make more sense... this would be a big farm of tanks that actually does receive cuts of tank cars. It can be a municipal building, still, just rare (like the museum), and the player cannot purchase it. Of course, this can readily be simulated using a Warehouse recipe.
=Winchester, Paston & Portsmouth=
====== We Provide Pride! ======
nedfumpkin
CEO

I was thinking of a gas station as a municipal building as just a bit more variety in the cities. I was also thinking of a fuel depot, but as a station building rather than an industry. It could hold oil, diesel, or chemicals.

For trainmaster I am trying to make a set of station buildings for different things.
coruscate
Dispatcher

"Abstraction" is a great word to use here, and I've run that argument through my own head a few times when considering things. We have the ability to depic large, epic cities as but an icon with an industry or two, or we can get deep and be metro about things. A service station doesn't need to represent one literal service station, but that the city they are in is big enough to warrant them. I was thinking of adapting the large retail into being a 7-11 that would demand fuel, food and stuff like that. I was also thinking of a tiny "building" (perhaps an invisible one or a color coated oil well since it is small) that can represent and pull demand for various, heavy fuel use (like a major port) without eating up a warehouse slot or putting yet another warehouses on the map.
KevinL
Dispatcher

Come on WPandP, you're ruining the fun. ^**lylgh :lol:

I still kinda like my ice cream idea. (milk + sugar = ice cream)

The biggest problem I see with these new ideas is getting the game to add them automatically. And that requires replacing something else already in the game with the new thing. Its more fun when you dont have to download 20 differents mods to play a map.
coruscate
Dispatcher

Well that can ruin a map, but then again I got into trains by playing with expansive layouts, adding cars, adding buildings, it's kind of natural to me. With all of these buildings and combinations of doing things we get expanded play and visual play 8^) Now if only we had the 3d software they used to put this together we'd be in tip-top shape.
coruscate
Dispatcher

WPandP wrote:Coru's got the right idea here - one could theoretically create a very simple shape by hex editing to create a whole new 3DP file, to be the basis for a racetrack. In my mind, I could see a flat rectangle onto which the oval track is painted (skinned), with maybe a wedge shape on one side to be the stands. It wouldn't do the industry justice, though, probably look more like a high school football field. To do something better is really out of reach.

I'm willing to teach someone who is interested how to go about 3D editing via hex, if someone wants to make an attempt. At the moment, though, I am pursuing my freight car overhaul, which will turn each single car into cuts of 2 or 3 cars, resulting in longer and heavier trains to pull. This will keep me busy for a while!
WP&P I'm thinkinng you must have hit the wrong button when you replied and edited one of your earlier posts because this is ABOVE Kevin L's comment about the racetrack. By the way, I will be wanting to use one of those trains for the waste category of mine, since I'm running waste's value through the roof it only makes sense that it be hauled on 3 car, heavy trains.

Kevin, if you break it down into like say, 2-4 "formulas" I can use, you don't need to dice the numbers exactly, just give me some ideas, and I can write the BCA files for it. I'll just make it the "Stadium" for now but at least you can use it. They can either be time period formulas or just some generic, catch all throughout the "age" of racetracking.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

coruscate wrote:WP&P I'm thinkinng you must have hit the wrong button when you replied and edited one of your earlier posts because this is ABOVE Kevin L's comment about the racetrack.
That wasn't his fault. See this link, starting with the 3rd post. viewtopic.php?f=50&t=919&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=15
Hawk
coruscate
Dispatcher

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... I see.
nedfumpkin
CEO

Here's what the liquid storage looks like. I used the chemical plant skinand changed some colours as well as removing the striped smokestack. I could remove the chimney since pipes go into it and it's not easy to figure out where it is in the skin.

This is for attracting liquid cargo like oil, diesel, chemicals.
Attachments
liquid.jpg
coruscate
Dispatcher

Nice, I'll be using the same building to make the soda company with.
nedfumpkin
CEO

Actually, I am bothered by the size of the footprint for this as a station building so I am going to do something else. I have the same concerns about the WP&P elevator that uses the steel mill. I want station buildings to be as small as possible, so I am going to see what I can make out of the silos on the grain farm. I might try to make one just silos, and then repaint them to be liquid storage tanks.