New Scenario Needs a Map

Discussion of Pop Top's last release of RRT.
EPH
Dispatcher

New Scenario Needs a Map Unread post

I'm considering some ideas for a new scenario, but - as usual - I need a map. I'd prefer one that didn't conform closely to the real world (I don't want to prejudice the player), fairly rugged with at least one large river and a moderate stretch of ocean on one side. It will be a colony, founded by an overseas homeland, with 'regional' variations in owner, resources and such. The very largest size of map would be best, as I have 40-60+ years of gameplay in mind.

I know... I said I was out of good ideas. But this one has some promise, I think. :-)

Would anyone like to recommend a map, or volunteer to 'gin one up? My mapmaking skills are zero. Please contact me via the thread or by PM.
The optimist proclaims we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true." - James Branch Cabell
MrScott1964
Brakeman

Re: New Scenario Needs a Map Unread post

EPH wrote:Would anyone like to recommend a map, or volunteer to 'gin one up?
MrScott would like to volunteer to make a map, but I would need more detail.
Cheers,
MrScott2022
nedfumpkin
CEO

I highly recommend Mr. Scott for the task of making this map. I am currently working on developing scenarios on Mr. Scott's Pennsylvania maps.

If I may be so bold as to offer a suggestion of the area covered in this image since it would meet your needs although a real world map. I must admit that I want this map to do a TH&B scenario.

This area would have to be really large to really take advantage of the topography. The Niagara escarpment traverses the map through the centre and creates unique track building challenges if using the heightmaps, etc.

The Grand river is visible and so is the Credit river. There is a bit of Lake Erie on the bottom, but most of Lake Ontario on the top.

Just a suggestion since none of the ready built maps take advantage of the varied topography of this regions. It is also the area of one of the busiest rail junctions in North America.
Attachments
southont.jpg
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Is this scenario going to be your next story? ;-)
Hawk
arop
Dispatcher

:-D Anyone is free to use any of my maps for any kind of scenario the way they please! :salute:
EPH
Dispatcher

OK. Time to 'tip my hand' a bit. I don't have detailed plans for this scenario, but this is what I've thought about so far:

An area about the size of a quarter of Africa, with a wide mix of terrain (jungle, swamp, mountains, volcanos, plains, etc - really wide variation). This will be site of colonies of a set of off-map powers, similar to the parts of Africa where France, Portugal. Britain and Germany had competing interests. Development will proceed inland in waves (regulated by higher growth rates as the scenario runs on). I can handle resource allocation and city placement, which will be easier with a map that is terrain-only. This one needs a sense of scale - of new worlds waiting to be conquered. I'm also hoping that a map that doesn't resemble a 'real' place will keep the players from knowing what to expect.

So: large, varied, rugged, with at least one large river and a sizeable seacoast. Vague, I know... I like the idea of using the 'Rhodes' map from the original scenarios, but I like MUCH BETTER the idea of having something new. Does this give anyone any ideas? I hope so... I'm pretty helpless when it comes to making maps.

At the start all companies will be 'existing' with no ability to start new ones. A variable switch will determine whether a (player) company is industry-oriented, rail-oriented, or both, with game events controlling and helping you shape your company. At least one company will run the 'steamship line' to the motherland, ala 'Of Men and Seals'. At the start (similar to American Rails and Northeast Corridor) you will have to buy up stock and go for a chairmanship. I'm hoping for a fairly large number of 'player-determined' decisions, to keep the player interested.

Events will also control which 'colonies' you can access, changeable over time as 'explorers' push inland and by event as the colonial powers war, sell and swap land (influenced by your decisions). Hauling requirements will evolve; limitations on manufacturing will change also (nothing but raw material production allowed at the start, if I can work that part out). Finally, you will be able to negotiate for dominion status and/or independence. Victory will involve uniting the territories and companies... as I say, I hope to have it run 40 to 80 years, or roughly 1865 to 1945 in 'our' history. All locos (US, European, World) would be available.

Hawk, I wanted to offer to write a story about someone else's scenario. I was hoping that people would suggest scenarios and we could then vote to pick one. But I didn't have any suggestions, so I've been thinking about this instead.
The optimist proclaims we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true." - James Branch Cabell
MrScott1964
Brakeman

How about a newly discovered island...a big island about the size of Greenland?
Cheers,
MrScott2022
WPandP
Engineer

Greenland after the melt? Global Warming actually (not theoretically) happens and Greenland becomes green again; meanwhile the world's political structures have all collapsed, as populations move and decline, and a third world war erupts over the shifting resources. Canada becomes an aggressive empire, and sets about colonizing whatever there is under that great ice sheet... hmm...
=Winchester, Paston & Portsmouth=
====== We Provide Pride! ======
nedfumpkin
CEO

Hey...ave you been peeking at my notes? I have been planning this exact scheme for many years, and now that I have caused the economic meltdown I was just months away from the final part where I take over the world...and now you've gone and let the cat out of the bag. :)
MrScott1964
Brakeman

nedfumpkin wrote:Hey...ave you been peeking at my notes? I have been planning this exact scheme for many years, and now that I have caused the economic meltdown I was just months away from the final part where I take over the world...and now you've gone and let the cat out of the bag. :)
All hail our next great leader! {,0,}
Cheers,
MrScott2022
Grandma Ruth
CEO

You'll do for me! {,0,}
EPH
Dispatcher

I imagine a defrosted Greenland would have a North American climate. I was looking for something a little more exotic. :-)
WPandP
Engineer

Okay, defrosted Greenland on Mars. *!*!*!
=Winchester, Paston & Portsmouth=
====== We Provide Pride! ======
nedfumpkin
CEO

No he said exotic...he means Newfoundland. :)
OilCan
Engineer

A possible 'African' theme would be in East Africa with the building of the TanZam railroad in the early 1970's. This was virgin railway development across the wide expanses of Africa. It ran through game reserves, villages, valleys, tunnels in mountains and across wide rivers. It took thousands of Chinese to build it. Wikipedia can fill you in with some of the details. That part of Africa has swamps, rivers, mountains, plateaus, etc...

Events could include elephants interfering with productivity, famine changing price gradients, territories to be purchased from a hostile tribe, corrupt officials requiring periodic bribes, Chinese AI companies, and worsening economic conditions as Tanzania's economy falls apart during those years. You may want to have track allocation rules.

The goal would be to connect Dar Es Salasm in Tanzania with Lusaka in Zambia. One could add other cities for higher goals. Sub goals could be to boost economic conditions through power houses, textiles and/or military industry.

Just a thought...
proudcanadian
Conductor

Not to downplay anyone else's opinion, but I personally think that the scenario would be more interesting if it wasn't based off of any 'real world' areas or timelines. It would be neat for it to be a fictional place with fictional colonial empires ruling it and expanding, then make your own storylines based off of that.
Whatever way it goes, it sounds amazing! !*th_up*!
I don't drive a dogsled to work, I don't live in an igloo, and we're the SECOND LARGEST COUNTRY ON EARTH!!!
Gwizz
CEO

EPH, I was looking at South America in an old Geography book last updated in 1920. The North East coast has the 3 Guianas, British, Dutch, & French. To the North Venezuela has the higher mountains feeding the Orinoco River. To the South is the east coast is Brazil which has the Amazon River, the jungle and some desert to the Southeast from the plateau of Matto Grosso to nearly the coast line. These Ridges through the plateaus should make for some interesting railroading.

If you are interested in this area I can cut out a map and place the rivers and cities for you.
MrScott1964
Brakeman

I guess I'm waiting for a "Make It So" before I start this project.

Note: I had to give up my Stains the dog aviator for something more appropriate.
Cheers,
MrScott2022
EPH
Dispatcher

Well, as it turns out I agree with everybody. :-D

Oilcan, I like the idea of the German East African colonial empire, but the map that comes with the game has been used by several other people and is pretty well known. A new map from Atlantic to Pacific (the Congo to Dar-es-Salaam) and south to Capetown, would be very interesting.

Proudcanadian, I agree with you that an unfamiliar map would be attractive. I intend to recast the economy/cargos/city names myself. Of course, other people would be free to use the map (depending on the map-maker's wishes, which would come first).

Gwizz, I like that idea. It is one I haven't thought about at all. Some of the offshore islands could be useful for game events also.

MrScott1964, would you be willing to take up Gwizz's idea for north-eastern South America? I'm not sure what scale would look best, but perhaps from the isthmus on the west, the Antilles on the north, and as far east and south as can be done (including the Amazon and south to present-day Belem would be helpful). Alternatively, Caracas (northwest) to Belem (southeast) would have some interesting territory. I do need a strip of ocean along most of two sides, for the steamship lines.

Not sure how much work this will be for you, and I don't want to put you out. Please let me know what looks do-able from your end.
MrScott1964
Brakeman

EPH wrote:MrScott1964, would you be willing to take up Gwizz's idea for north-eastern South America? I'm not sure what scale would look best, but perhaps from the isthmus on the west, the Antilles on the north, and as far east and south as can be done (including the Amazon and south to present-day Belem would be helpful). Alternatively, Caracas (northwest) to Belem (southeast) would have some interesting territory. I do need a strip of ocean along most of two sides, for the steamship lines.
This map should be no problem. I do have a question...
Do you want real named cities and counties on the map?
Cheers,
MrScott2022