Multiple Installations of Railroad Tycoon 3

Tips & suggestions for a good RT3 playing environment.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Multiple Installations of Railroad Tycoon 3 Unread post

Install the game from scratch, then patch it up to and including the 1.05 patch (don't forget the Coast to Coast Expansion ;-) ).

Before you install the 1.06 patch, create a new folder on your hard drive somewhere outside of the Railroad Tycoon 3 folder and name it something like RT3 106.
Copy the entire contents of the Railroad Tycoon 3 folder into the new RT3 106 folder. Then patch that to 1.06.

For Trainmaster, do the same thing. Copy the 1.05 contents into a new folder named something like RT3 TM. Then install TM into that.

Once you have the two new installs done, open the main folders for each of them and right click on the RT3.exe and send it to desktop (create shortcut) for both of them (the 1.05 install should have already placed an icon on your desktop).

I hope I explained this in an understandable manor. :mrgreen:

Some of the maps created for 1.05 work better in the 1.05 install than they do in the 1.06 install, and Trainmaster definitely needs it's own installation.
Hawk
Sugus
Engineer

Re: Multilple Installations of Railroad Tycoon 3 Unread post

Finally, you should use OilCan's Desktop Icons to distinguish the different installations by color! :-D
There's no business like RT business ...
Pat in the desert
Hobo

Re: Multilple Installations of Railroad Tycoon 3 Unread post

Hawk,
It seems to me to be easier to install to the default folder for RT3. In fact some of the patches just go there, if I recall correctly. So what I did when setting up for having the 1.05 and 1.06 versions is: installed and patched up to 1.05 in the default directory [ \Program Files\Railroad Tycoon 3 ] and then copied all to a folder in another location that I call rrty3-105. THEN I updated to 1.06 in the default folder. Then I copied all from the default folder to another new folder call rrty3-106. Then I did shortcuts for the 2 folders. But I need to go back and use the different colored icons. When I can find them. *!*!*!
Also look again at the title of this thread: Multiple **!!!**
Blackhawk
CEO

Re: Multiple Installations of Railroad Tycoon 3 Unread post

The thread for the desktop icons:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2282&p=21900&hilit=desktop#p21881

Of course Trainmaster comes with its own icon :lol:
Hawk
The Big Dawg

So, if I'm reading your post right you now have two installs of 1.06, plus a 1.05 install?
If that works for you then go for it. :mrgreen:
I don't use the default install of some programs, opting to install some programs to directories of my choice. ;-)
Click on image to view full size
Click on image to view full size
Thanks for pointing out my spelling error. :salute:
Hawk
Pat in the desert
Hobo

So, if I'm reading your post right you now have two installs of 1.06, plus a 1.05 install?
If that works for you then go for it. :mrgreen:
I don't use the default install of some programs, opting to install some programs to directories of my choice.
Yes, I guess that leaves me with 3 installs. But the 2 in the folders that I named are in the 2nd drive, the D drive, and that's what the shortcuts point to.
Then when I download scenarios from this fine website, I try to keep straight which are 1.05 and which are 1.06 and unzip 'em to the right folder. :-D
BTB
Hobo

okay now it's stupid question time :-P i have been in here reading a lot of posts and on the sites extra pages and map pages and i was confused before and now i am lost :-D

How do i know what version I have and what it needs updated to such as ver3, ver4 etc?

I see how you did the installs and the folder names, but have a question here too, are the updates installed in the coast to coast folder or is the updates just in the respective folders and it picks up the added versions with it?

trainmaster is my main concern here, but i want to play with the coast to coast too. bored with beating the campaigns in RR II and RR3, only so many times you can play them and beat them and can't get higher than gold and when i saw this site i was happy as a new born fly finding my first cow pie !**yaaa

sorry to ask dumb questions but when i thought i started to understand what i needed to do, i read more and just got frazzled !hairpull! :shock: :-? :oops:
Hawk
The Big Dawg

The first post in this thread should explain everything you need to know, except that you can tell what version you're currently running by looking in the bottom-left corner of the start page when you load RT3, before you make any selections.
Hawk
Blackhawk
CEO

BTB wrote: How do i know what version I have and what it needs updated to such as ver3, ver4 etc?
At the lower left corner it should say what version of RT3 you have. And if you have Coast to Coast installed, the front page will also say Coast to Coast under RT3. As for what it needs to be updated to, I think the CtC updated everything to version 1.03 or 1.04 whether you started with version 1.00, 1.01, or 1.02. From there then just install the patches you need.
I see how you did the installs and the folder names, but have a question here too, are the updates installed in the coast to coast folder or is the updates just in the respective folders and it picks up the added versions with it?
Some of the later versions only replace the RT3.exe file. I'm not sure what coast to coast folder you are referring to, as the coast to coast files are installed within the RT3 directory itself.

trainmaster is my main concern here, but i want to play with the coast to coast too.
As the post explains, you'll need to copy the RT3 directory after it's updated to 1.05 and paste it somewhere else. Then use that as your Trainmaster install, and use the Trainmaster installation files to correct the files in that new directory so TM works.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

The C to C Expansion is V-1.04
Hawk
j484fan
Watchman

Okay, someplace I must be making a mistake I don't see. I reinstalled RT3 and saved the game files to two other folders. I updated all three to 1.05 so far. When I tried clicking on the icon for the original, I had no problems, but the other folder which I designated 1.05 won't work. When I try DL the 1.06 patch into the one for the folder I designated 1.06, it says unable to open 1.06 for patching.

Where did I go wrong and how do I correct it?

Guess I should also note, not quite sure which one the disc is feeding off of. Whenever I click on My Computer then select the D: Drive where my RT3 disc is, the SoldOut menu comes up and the game will load. Question I have then, is if the files in all three are the same, why doesn't the RT3 icon in the copy titled 1.05 work and same for the one labeled 1.06 as it won't let me DL that patch at this time.
nedfumpkin
CEO

You should be using the exe files I sent you, in the 1.05 set up, just copy it in. Make sure your shortcut is pointed to the right folder, and also the folder it runs in.

In the 1.06 folder, make sure you have the 1.05 exe in there, then run the installation program according to its instructions. After it works, you can try the exe that I sent you. Again, make sure the paths are correct.
maro11111
Cat

Hello!

I read all post about installing CTC, v.1.05 and 1.06 and still my RT3 doesn't work...
I have W7, I create a new file in another disk "D" on my computer, also for any new patch I create a new file and still I have problems to open RT3 with installed only CTC...and also the next patches 1.05 and 1.06.
Do you have any idea to solve this problem?
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Can you be a little more specific about how it's not working?

Do I understand you right that you do not install RT3 in the default folder - Program Files (86)?
Hawk
maro11111
Cat

Ok, I try to expain it better.
I installed my RT3 on my computer v.1.00, not in the default folder - Program Files (86), but in the other disk "D" and I created a new folder RT3.
My RT3 worked then normally on my W7 (Pentium Dual Core, 2.10 GHz, 4GB RAM), without any problem, so I decided to install the Coast to Coast Expansion.
I created the new folder for this patch (also in the disk "D") and then I copied the file RT3.exe (CtC) to the RT3 folder. From this moment after I start the game I see the main menu for only 2-3 seconds and it crashes to the desktop with the information that the game doesn't work. I have already tried to unistall everything and install the game many times, also with patching to the v.1.06, but it is always the same problem. All installation were successful, so it should be ok.
Could you help me?
Hawk
The Big Dawg

There's a lot more to the C to C patch than just the exe. You need all the files in the C to C.
There's 286 files in the C to C patch. You do need all of them.
Hawk
maro11111
Cat

Yes, I know that. I installed the whole CtC Expansion with 286 files and it didn't work.
The problem is when I copy the new RT.exe file.
Blackhawk
CEO

I'm a little confused as to what RT3.exe file you are copying over. I thought the 1.06 patch installed multiple files including it's own RT3.exe file, and it didn't require you to manually copy over any RT3.exe file.

Unless what you are saying is that when you patch up to CtC (1.04) the game works, but once you patch up to 1.05 (which the patch is just a replacement RT3.exe file) then the game stops working?
maro11111
Cat

No, the problem begins when I install the CtC (1.04), from this moment the game doesn't work. When it opens the main menu in the game it works only for 2-3 seconds, I can't click on anything and the game crashes to the desktop. As I mentioned earlier I had tried to install the patches in the various manners, but it still doesn't work, only normal v.1.00.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Are you by chance using the version of RT3 from Steam, or do you have the cd(s)?

Have you tried the Vista fix?

Edit 1: Never mind about the Steam version. I believe it's 1.05 and you say you can run V-1.
Hawk