Issues I am Having With Updates

Discussion of Pop Top's last release of RRT.
BTB
Hobo

Issues I am Having With Updates Unread post

I didn't want to post more in the multiple installations post and make that longer than it needs to be, so i will post here and ask questions.

What I have done so far, made a folder in program files name Railroad Tycoon, then subfolders are Railroad Tycoon V1, Railroad Tycoon CtoC, Railroad Tycoon V105, and a folder with V106, and a Trainmaster folder. I copied V1 which is the base program installation to all of the folders and made sure they worked. then I did the Vista update to the all of the folders except the V1. Then I did the patch to each of the files CtoC, V105, and V106.

Now I can still run The main basic RRT3 V1 but the others start and die. I can see the main menu for about a half a second and see the coast to coast on the main menu but it quits working. I also looked in the base installation of RRT3 when I open it and the only thing listed that says I can disable anything is under the sound menu to disable the hardware acceleration. I have the graphics settings set to Ultra High and that has never created a problem for me.

What did I do wrong? :oops:

Thanks!
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Re: Issues I am Having With Updates Unread post

I don't know if I have this right, but it's my understanding that the Program Files folder in Vista and Win 7 doesn't allow files to be written to.
It's my understanding that installing programs on C drive, outside of the default Program Files directory is the best option.

Maybe someone will pop in and clarify this in some fashion. (0!!0)
Hawk
BTB
Hobo

Well I just went through every file folder folder by folder to validate this while waiting for my post to be approved and all of the files are there from the zips and the modified dates of the new files match accordingly so it looks like the files have been written to the folders properly, but what do I know. :-P :oops:
Blackhawk
CEO

As Hawk said on vista and win7 it's best to do it outside of the program files folder.

Are you sure you applied the vista fix correctly? It sounds like if early versions of RT3 work, but the later versions don't, it might have something to do with the graphics and the vista fix.
I also looked in the base installation of RRT3 when I open it and the only thing listed that says I can disable anything is under the sound menu to disable the hardware acceleration. I have the graphics settings set to Ultra High and that has never created a problem for me.
In RT3 version 1 there are fewer settings to change. I think the original Vista fix was to install up to version 1.03, then go into the graphics settings which now has additional options, make a change or two (maybe it was just disable hardware acceleration). Then to finish upgrading with the rest of the patches you wanted installed.
BTB
Hobo

I installed the coast to coast 2 ways and had same results, railroad tycoon has stopped working :-D

first i redid the install from the cd's ver 1 to the vista patch over writing the engine.cfg under the data/configuration folder, then i installed the coast to coast and then the ver 105 update. Then i tried it this way, new install ver 1 to coast to coast and then the 1.05 update then the vista fix and the result has been the same.

after I installed the vista fix i did check the options/settings and the graphics acceleration was still unchecked and i did not have any other options any where that i could check or uncheck other than the same one i mentioned before.

also when after i installed the 106 patch i get this window about compatibility and tried both selections and still not working :-(
Attachments
Compatibility window for rrt ver 106.jpg
Blackhawk
CEO

What is the most up to date version you can play? Have you tried upgrading to 1.03 and seeing if that works? I think that's the last version that worked on vista without making any changes to the settings.

Are you using vista or win7?

What kind of computer are you using? Some newer graphics cards don't work well with RT3.
BTB
Hobo

i am running vista os athalon 64 x2 5000+ proc 2.6ghz overclocked and running at 3.23ghz 32bit vista os. 3 gb ram

well i have never had an issue with the graphics card playing railroad tycoon 2 or 3 and have had rr3 since the first day it was out. roller coaster tycoon 3 is hard on a graphics card and i have never had an issue with it or seen choppy play until i started making absurd scenarios and had parks with tons of rides, animals, and 3-5k visitors.

I can not get 1.03 to install. I get this error window when i try: can't create output file: c:\program files\railroad tycoon\ctoc\rt3.exec. if i delete the rt3.exec from ver1 and copy the 1.03 updated rt3 exec to the file i get this: conflict with disc emulator service detected. see www.securom.com/emulation for more details. i was able to run it with the vista fix but not after installing the coast to coast.

my graphics card is a nvidia geforce 9500gt 1gb ddr2.

thanks! sorryfor being a pain but if we get it to work fine, if not then at least i know i tried :-D
nedfumpkin
CEO

Are you installing it as administrator? Vista needs that or else it will not work. Anything you do in c:\program files (x86)\ should be run as administrator. RT3 should go in the x86 folder btw.

Better yet, install it somewhere other than "program files" and a lot of troubles will go away.
BTB
Hobo

well i found this post: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2632 but when i upgraded everything to 1.05 and to 1.06 the disc emulation error is gone but...................................... it still stops working after the main game menu appears and i can see the coast to coast added before it goes dead. so at least i didn't have the continuing emulation problem that guy had in the above referenced post, so am i making progress?

i am installing everything as admin, now what you said about x86 files, i know i have heard or seen x86 before but no idea what you are talking about :oops:

btw, this is what the file looks like with all the patches applied and just doesn't look right but what do i know hehe.

thanks again for the help
Attachments
ctoc tree.jpg
nedfumpkin
CEO

Here's what you do...install the 1.04 beta exe, then go into it and go to settings and disable the t&L hardware settings in the graphics menu.

Get Hawk to send you a pm for the disk problem, and try that after patching to 1.05

See if that works. The 1.04 exe is big at 4mb, the 1.05, which is all that is in the 1.05 patch is 2mb. 1.06 modifies the 1.05 exe so it too is 2 mb. TM has its own 2 mb exe.
BTB
Hobo

nedfumpkin wrote:Here's what you do...install the 1.04 beta exe, then go into it and go to settings and disable the t&L hardware settings in the graphics menu.
I can't find it :-( thanks for the help so far, just not working out as well as I was hoping.
Gwizz
CEO

Nedfumpkin,

What is in the 1.06 beta.exe that makes it twice the size of the other .exes?
nedfumpkin
CEO

It's 1.04 that is bloated Gwizz, 1.06 patches 1.05 which is 2 mb. The best I could tell, most of it was empty space, but I think there was some hard coded graphics card information in 1.04 that got stripped out and that's what may have caused some problems. Mind you, it's been manay months since I mucked around with the 1.04 exe in hex editor.
Gwizz
CEO

I wonder if it was the 1.04 beta that had the tiger tank that you could operate. At the time I didn't notice how large the platform was.
I bet there was a lot more code there then I realized.

Maybe that tiger was going to be a bulldozer? !*th_up*!
General_Popeye
Hobo

Gwizz wrote:I wonder if it was the 1.04 beta that had the tiger tank that you could operate.
Tiger tank this is the first im hearing of a fun toy in the game. Sorry I just got done playing war games all day my mind is still on my favorite vehicle in a game thats not a train. ;-)
I am General Popeye
BTB
Hobo

well i have officially given up on the "official" and "official unofficial" patches. read about others that had similar issues that i am having in different aras of the forum, some did get their issues resolved others there were no confirmation so who knows.

thanks for the help, and would have made it a bit more fun if i could have got this to work but sometimes it doesn't matter what you do or how much time you spend, same end result time after time.

good luck and take care!
JFMarvelous
Watchman

BTB wrote:well i found this post: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2632 but when i upgraded everything to 1.05 and to 1.06 the disc emulation error is gone but...................................... it still stops working after the main game menu appears and i can see the coast to coast added before it goes dead. so at least i didn't have the continuing emulation problem that guy had in the above referenced post, so am i making progress?

i am installing everything as admin, now what you said about x86 files, i know i have heard or seen x86 before but no idea what you are talking about :oops:

btw, this is what the file looks like with all the patches applied and just doesn't look right but what do i know hehe.

thanks again for the help
In the image you sent with this post it looks as if you have 3 rrt3 installs (105-106- C2C) in the same master rrt3 folder.
I think they all need to be separate installs in their own folders, also should be installed outside of the programs folder, and also not in the 64 bit? folder.
brunom
Dispatcher

I have 1.05 and 1.06 inside the \Programs (x86)... in Windows 7, 64-bit.

There were absolutely zero problems with the install - so it is possible.

B
nedfumpkin
CEO

BTB...I wouldn't necessarily give up just yet. I am sure that if I was sitting at your pc, I'd have you up an running in 10 minutes on all versions. Since RT3 came out, I have had it working on a computer that technically it shouldn't have run on, in fact...TM was designed to work on RT3 on Vista, but it was mostly made on a Pentium 350MHz with a voodoo 5 video card!

If you want, some night I can walk you through it via chat...I'm on facebook so find me and some night we can go through all the steps and get you working.

The problem here is that I need to know certain information, that I am not getting, in order to get you going.
BTB
Hobo

this sounds possible and i would appreciate it :-D

thanks and will do that soon, had a death in the family and took a few days to get things situated again so will be getting in touch sir!