Help with graphics problem please

Discussion of Pop Top's last release of RRT.
Moodyvillain
Hobo

Help with graphics problem please Unread post

I have an Ati radeon hd 4200. When I'm playing RRT3 It starts out displaying high resolution graphics, and looks really good (or as good as it gets for an older game) But after a minute or so it goes to very low details and pixelated. I also run windows 7 home edition. Other games work fine, it just happens with RRT3

Here is an example. It starts out like this

Then 30 seconds to a minute later....

Do you think this is a card problem or a old game/compatibility issue, or both? Is there a way I can fix it?

I tried the usual suspects..... Update drivers, fiddle with the ingame graphics controls. Not sure what else I can do.

I know jack squat about graphics cards, and not very much about computers. So explain things in detail please.
Moggie
Conductor

Re: Help with graphics problem please Unread post

I think it's the annoying problem that RT3 engine has. Namely, it reads the amount of display memory wrong, if the total RAM of the computer is between 2G and 4G. I got rid of that problem by increasing my RAM to 8G.
Moggie
Dogs have masters, cats have staff.
Trainmaster's own Skimbleshanks :)
Moodyvillain
Hobo

Thanks for replying. I just checked my installed RAM is 8. I do suspect it is a game problem, and not my card. I still play the game regardless of the graphics problem. It just would be nice if it looked good too. Finally I upgrade my computer to one that isn't a bogged down slow POS, and run into compatibility problems... lol Murphy's law, go figure.

I wonder if the 3G enabler for Railroads! could be reworked. Certainly not by me though. I barely get by with my limited computer knowledge as it is LOL.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Moggie wrote:I think it's the annoying problem that RT3 engine has. Namely, it reads the amount of display memory wrong, if the total RAM of the computer is between 2G and 4G. I got rid of that problem by increasing my RAM to 8G.
I don't know that I agree with that, or maybe it might have something to do with either Win 7 or a 64 bit system.
I have XP 32 bit with 4-1 GB sticks of ram (3.2 recognized by the system) and I never have an issue with RRT3.
Hawk
thietavu
Conductor

Hawk wrote:
Moggie wrote:I think it's the annoying problem that RT3 engine has. Namely, it reads the amount of display memory wrong, if the total RAM of the computer is between 2G and 4G. I got rid of that problem by increasing my RAM to 8G.
I don't know that I agree with that, or maybe it might have something to do with either Win 7 or a 64 bit system.
I have XP 32 bit with 4-1 GB sticks of ram (3.2 recognized by the system) and I never have an issue with RRT3.
I'd recommend installing the optional Windows 7 compatibility updates. Anyway, I even tested RRT3 TrainMaster edition on 64-bit Windows 8 - no problems. Since RRT3 uses quite old Direct3D calls, it's quite possible that a later patch has fixed something there.
AMD Phenom X6 1090T @3.9GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600 RAM, Asus Crosshair Formula IV mb, Radeon HD7870, Samsung 850EVO SSD, M-Audio AP192, Windows 10-64, Railroad Tycoon 3 1.06. & TM, Train Simulator 2016, MSTS + many add-ons, Trainz!