What makes ELECTRIC PLANTS profitable?

Discussion of Pop Top's last release of RRT.
Shamough
Conductor

What makes ELECTRIC PLANTS profitable? Unread post

I'm playing a game which requires the generation of 10,000 GWh of electricity. The game provides plenty of COAL but the POWER PLANTS are all running in the RED>

I'm nt using electric trains, not allowed by scenerio.

So what produces demand that I can buiild?

Sounding like a nooob ...

Hans
Card carrying member of the original RailRoad Flat Earth Society.

If it ain't flat it ain't flat enough!
Sugus
Engineer

Re: What makes ELECTRIC PLANTS profitable? Unread post

As you can see in the industry flow chart, coal and oil are the required resources.
But - my experience with some arop maps - you have to be very patient till these industries change from "red" to "black"! :-D
There's no business like RT business ...
RulerofRails
CEO

Electric Plants need a supply of BOTH inputs to be profitable. So both Oil and Coal must be available. They seem to do best with a good supply of both.

However, Coal has a cheaper base price in the game, and if the price of Coal is really low (dark red) they can become slightly profitable without Oil.

What I aim to do in games is ensure a good supply of Coal and some Oil. Where this is impossible, buying and upgrading those with only one input (but enough of it) will produce more power, however, they will also lose more money.

I don't know of any way to affect the demand for electricity. I suspect the game has a price hidden in the code somewhere. I think that output would be reduced in poor economic states, but with a little deduction you could get some idea if the price is really fixed or changes with the economic state like the prices of the haul-able cargo types in the game. It probably does. Let us know if you work it out.
Shamough
Conductor

I think .... oh-oh watch out! That I played a game where you had to build industries to get the demand up to make a profit.

Hans
Card carrying member of the original RailRoad Flat Earth Society.

If it ain't flat it ain't flat enough!
RayofSunshine
CEO

Just my !#2bits#! The profit is also based on the revenue dirived from the "haul". The longer the hauls, the greater the overhead of expenses. :salute: {,0,}