Is RRT3 multiplayer still active/usable?

Discussion of Pop Top's last release of RRT.
Sawyer7
Cat

Is RRT3 multiplayer still active/usable? Unread post

I just came back to this game after a few years, and now that Gamespy is shut down, I was wondering if there was any games that still go on over LAN?

And also, would 1.06 or custom trains that i've added mess things up over multiplayer?
Blackhawk
CEO

Re: Is RRT3 multiplayer still active/usable? Unread post

I thought multiplayer still worked in version 1.05 if you can find someone to play with. Most of us here just play single player though. I don't think 1.06 was built to work in multiplayer.
RulerofRails
CEO

Multiplayer is pretty much dead. A couple years back someone did try to resurrect it, but the effort faded.

If you have a friend that you want to play against, I believe it can be done via LAN, but as Blackhawk indicated the focus on 1.06 was never for multiplayer. I don't think it was even tested for multiplayer at all. So it MAY work, but expect bugs/issues etc..

If I were you I would definitely make a clean 1.05 install. Install the game again, but to a different location. (RT3 can be on your computer hundreds of times). Then get that working on multi before I attempted what happens if custom trains etc. are installed. If all players have identical assets it may just work, but once again nobody has reported anything, if they even tried it.

My personal take is this: the game is very open. There are very many styles of play also. The typical "winning" experience from player to player varies a lot. To find two players that will play a map in a similar fashion is going to be difficult. So would suggest trying to play your friends, basically for the social other than the competition.
Sugus
Engineer

Yes- I agree! "I have to find MY way to master this map!" seems to be our play style.
There's no business like RT business ...