RRT3 and Windows Vista... a solution

Discussion of Pop Top's last release of RRT.
Butler

Re: RRT3 and Windows Vista... a solution Unread post

****Another UPDATE****

OK I did a regular install of C2C and it broke the RRT3 installation. So another complete install and copying all C2C files minus the .EXE worked. Not bug free but it is working. During a couple of game launches I have had the screen resolution change to 600x800 and music play but no game screen. I can only stop the music with a complete restart of the laptop. I still must manually change screen resolution back to 1280x800 after restart.

I have also seen some DLL file stop working LOL! but I can remember which. So I'll try a little more before i completely give up on RRT3.
Ruddy

Hi
Can someone test this for me? I have not played RRT3 for years and only up to patch 1.03 since I have Vista. I am not familiar with ctc, and the 1.05 and 1.06 patches.

Vista does not like any automatic changes of the exec file. To get around this I did the up dates manually. (First install the 1.03 patch)
First I created on by back up hard drive a new folder.
Then I download patch 1.04 http://www.gamershell.com/download_5729.shtml
I redirect the file to my new folder (using the browser option)
I remove the RT3 exe file in the new folder.
I redirected CTC to the new folder. (Using the browser option)
I redirected 1.05 to the new folder. (Using the browser option)
I redirected 1.06 to the new folder. (Using the browser option)
Then I removed the RT3 file from the Railroad Tycoon 3 file on my c drive program files.
Then I cut and pasted every thing from the hold file to the c drive Railroad Tycoon 3 folder. I used the replace option or continue each time the Vista want a reply.
Everything seems to work.

Launch RRT# from either the program file or create a new shortcut. The old one will not point tothe new exec file.
Sugus
Engineer

From my point of view, you should do a clean install as if you were running XP - means:

First install RT3 in a main folder like "C:\Games\..." (do not use VISTAs "Program Files" or even "Program Files (x86)" due to special protections by MS !hairpull! )
Thereafter install CtC, followed by Patch 1.05 and - if you like - finally by Patch 1.06. (The latter one may be omitted, but I did it hoping to get some 1.06 features :roll: (didn't seem to work)).
Now there's the final and important step: replace the RT3.exe with the version you got with the Patch 1.04 beta (you can get it by means of Trainmaster too!).

This way I'm RT3ing under VISTA ( !*th_dwn*! ) with great fun! Of course, you have to "forget" the Patch 1.06 maps ...
There's no business like RT business ...
nedfumpkin
CEO

Careful, the current RT3 exe for Trainmaster won't work with 1.05 or 1.06. The version shows up on the lower left side of the main menu screen.

I concur with Sugus on the installation, however, omit the 1.06 step. Stop at 1.05.

Then copy the entire RT3 folder to a new folder with a different name. Copy it 3 times at least. Leave your original 1.05 installation as a factory default. Make your modifications to the copies, i.e. 1.05 with extras, 1.06, and Trainmaster if you like.

Use the 1.04 beta in the 1.05 installs. If you can get 1.06 working, great, and then for TM, use the TM version of the exe.

This way if ever you mess something up, you can always go back to your factory install and copy it again.

PS...make sure to fix the shortcuts to the right folders etc.