Got an issue I need resolving

Please post questions or comments about the site or the forum here.
thegrindre
Engineer

Got an issue I need resolving Unread post

Here's what happened;
I came to the board without looking around at anything. (Rarely ever done by me.) I jumped straight into a New Post I had mad, saved it, then accidentally logged myself out instead if hitting the Board Index button.
Now, when I re-logged myself back in, there were no View new posts to be found.

Apparently, my log in and log out and re-log in again set the View new posts to have all been read when I never had a chance to read 'em.

Did that make any sense? :-?

Aah, got a remedy for this, also.
How about another board option that says, Today's Posts. They would all be posts within the last 24 hrs.
a.k.a. Rick

At my age, 'Happy Hour' is a nap...
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Re: Got an issue I need resolving Unread post

Yep! That makes perfect sense. That's the way the database works. You don't even have to log out to refresh the new post data. Just leave the board and come back without logging out (I never log out myself. Just stay logged on all the time).

Soon I'll be doing some code editing that will give members the ability to mark specific posts as unread and they'll stay that way until you read them, whether you log out or not. But that will take user intervention and won't help in a case such as yours.

I'll do some research and see how much trouble it would be to edit the code to enable the 'Posts in the last 24 hours' as you asked about. Don't hold your breath though. That may require a near complete rewrite of the database and other coding.
Hawk
thegrindre
Engineer

I dump my browser on exit. I don't want anything saved unnecessarily on my hard drive. I have a couple other things tagged also to keep things from saving themselves.
If I want it saved, I'll save it myself. :-)
a.k.a. Rick

At my age, 'Happy Hour' is a nap...
Hawk
The Big Dawg

The code I'll be implementing doesn't use cookies to store data. The data is stored in the database so it shouldn't matter whether you dump or not.
Hawk