Close announcement>
If you need to contact an administrator about account activation (or resurrection)
the email address is: admin @ hawkdawg . com (remove the four blank spaces).
The activation emails should hopefully work now (have changed some settings).

Menus, Menus Everywhere

Please post questions or comments about the site or the forum here.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Menus, Menus Everywhere

Unread post by Hawk »

Looking for a few good opinions.

Which menu do you like better?

This one;

http://www.hawkdawg.com/

or this one?

http://www.hawkdawg.com/index-test.html
Hawk
thegrindre
Engineer

Re: Menus, Menus Everywhere

Unread post by thegrindre »

I like the first one best...

(0!!0)
a.k.a. Rick

At my age, 'Happy Hour' is a nap...
Sugus
Engineer

Unread post by Sugus »

I agree - the first one is it! Why "change a winning team"?
There's no business like RT business ...
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Unread post by Hawk »

I was thinking of the increased functionality of the second one. Did you notice it was a fly-out menu, or are you just looking at the colors? The colors can change. ;-)
Hawk
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Unread post by Hawk »

I'm also thinking of myself here a little too. The second one would be a whole lot easier to add new menu items to since I can have one page of it and use php to insert it into all other pages.
As it stands, if I add a new menu item I have to do it on many, many pages
Hawk
nedfumpkin
CEO

Unread post by nedfumpkin »

I like the second one better if that matters at all. :)
Blackhawk
CEO

Unread post by Blackhawk »

I like the visual look of the current version. (#1) But the utility/expandability of the "new" menu is nice as it saves time from having to load multiple webpages to get to the final location.

At first glance I didn't particularly care for #2 but looking at it for a few minutes, it's simplistic yet looks well. (I'm just not sure about green and red as the link colors and visited link)

And with that I suppose I'm no help as both have their perks.
I'm also thinking of myself here a little too. The second one would be a whole lot easier to add new menu items to since I can have one page of it and use php to insert it into all other pages.
As it stands, if I add a new menu item I have to do it on many, many pages
I'd go with #2 then and keep the website format more up to date rather than having to make a menu on each individual webpage. It makes the site more professional looking.
Stoker
Engineer

Unread post by Stoker »

My preference is for the new menu with pop up sub menus. It saves having to open full pages to navigate through the different areas. I think it might encourage folks to wander more and find new things because having menus "blossom" open instead of having to actually open a page lets you see all of the options.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke
edbangor
Dispatcher

Unread post by edbangor »

I like option two too, even if it is missing a Trainmaster section. :twisted:
I need a little less pressure, and a little more time
"A Little More Homework" by Jason Robert Brown from 13: the Musical
Blackhawk
CEO

edbangor wrote:I like option two too, even if it is missing a Trainmaster section. :twisted:
TM is there, it's just in Railroad Tycoon, then under RT3, then TrainMaster Expert Ed. then map archive, and finally your own page, TM maps of other lands
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Unread post by Hawk »

edbangor wrote:I like option two too, even if it is missing a Trainmaster section. :twisted:
No it ain't. Look under Railroad Tycoon 3. The Trainmaster links are there.
Click on image to view full size
Click on image to view full size
Edit 1: Well, ya' beat me to it BH. ^**lylgh
Hawk
Blackhawk
CEO

I almost thought about adding a screen shot myself. If I had, I fear you would have beaten me to it. !*00*! A beer to the helpful hawk who puts pictures in his posts. (0!!0)
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Unread post by Hawk »

!$th_u$! BH. I think I'll drink that beer and go to bed. I didn't get my nap today because I had to keep an eye on the ham in the oven. :-(
Hawk
WPandP
Engineer

Unread post by WPandP »

Personally, I don't like fly-out menus, especially if they go more than two levels. They depend too much on mousing skills, and often I lose the last level by mousing off the flyout accidentally. I'm no slouch when mousing; I'm not a twitch gamer, but I think I have pretty good mouse control. Yet, if even I can get frustrated by such a menu system, I have to believe there's loads of people who are less frequent computer users, who would have significant difficulty.

I prefer links that just sit there, ready and waiting for you to click them. However, maybe there's another option that you haven't explored. What about a navigation menu that changes as you click upper-hierarchy links to reveal lower-hierarchy links? In other words, instead of flying out to the side, they show up inline in the menu (maybe it grows and shrinks, or maybe there is a space reserved), and they are invoked by distinct clicks rather than click-and-hold. A possible advantage of such a system might be that a RRT3 user, for instance, can click to expand the RRT3 menu, and it will stay expanded for that user as long as they are logged in. In other words, set a cookie for the nav menu and always expand to the hierarchy level that was last chosen by that user.

Maybe that's not as easy to code nor as easy to add new pages, I dunno. But I don't like the thought of having to navigate four or five levels of flyout in order to get to each and every RRT3 custom content page, every time I visit.
=Winchester, Paston & Portsmouth=
====== We Provide Pride! ======
Blackhawk
CEO

Hawk wrote:!$th_u$! BH. I think I'll drink that beer and go to bed. I didn't get my nap today because I had to keep an eye on the ham in the oven. :-(
Hopefully you got to eat the ham and it was worth not getting your nap.
WPandP wrote:prefer links that just sit there, ready and waiting for you to click them. However, maybe there's another option that you haven't explored. What about a navigation menu that changes as you click upper-hierarchy links to reveal lower-hierarchy links? In other words, instead of flying out to the side, they show up inline in the menu (maybe it grows and shrinks, or maybe there is a space reserved), and they are invoked by distinct clicks rather than click-and-hold.
I don't think tree menus are that common anymore, but I could just not notice websites having them (as I did just notice a minor use of them on MLB.com team pages) Many websites seem to be the horizontal menu at the top, often where more options "drop down."

I don't mind the "flying out" links with the possible new menu, but for those that dislike having multiple sub-menus "flying out" it might be better to make the "Trainmaster Expert Ed." into a link directly to the TM main page rather than its own sub-menu, and then below that make a TM - Map Archive, TM - Extra Content. Similar to how RT3, RT3 Extra Content, and RT3 Maps are all there. This would then eliminate one more menu list from "flying out"
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

Unread post by Wolverine@MSU »

I have a problem with the second one, although I like the flyout concept, the flyouts go off the screen (see screenshot). If I go over to the scrollbar to move down the page, the flyouts go away. Also, some of the spacing on the multi-line titles looks funny (a minor point).
Attachments
HawkMenu.jpg
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Unread post by Hawk »

What browser are you using? Looks like IE 6 or 7. Looks like you're running XP. What screen res do you run? Looks like something higher than 1024 X 768.
I haven't tested that css code in IE 7 yet (this whole idea is still in it's infancy) and I'm not concerned about IE 6, and can't test it in that version anyway.
I have tested it in IE 8, Opera, and - of course - Firefox 3.6. It should look like this.
HawkMenu2.jpg
Thanks for the report on this Wolvy. That's one of the types of feedback I was looking for. :salute:

Edit 1: I just checked it in IE 7 and it doesn't look anything like you show it. It looks fine, although at a screen res of 1024 X 768 it doesn't fit in the screen as well as the original nav bar, but that can be fixed with a little margin/padding adjustment.
Hawk
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Unread post by Hawk »

Well, playing continues. This time I mixed a little old and a little new.

http://www.hawkdawg.com/index-test2.html

BTW! None of the links work right now. This is a test. Had this been a real navigation bar the links would work. :mrgreen:
Hawk
edbangor
Dispatcher

Unread post by edbangor »

Now that new one I like with the drop down menus, and not just cos it puts Trainmaster on a level playing field with all the other RT versions instead of hiding it in a sub menu, of a sub menu, of a sub menu, where I couldn't find it. :oops:
I need a little less pressure, and a little more time
"A Little More Homework" by Jason Robert Brown from 13: the Musical
Stoker
Engineer

Unread post by Stoker »

I think this new layout with the vertical menus is confusing, and does not allow a "tree view" showing all of the navigation options at once. I still like the first new layout the best.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke