A&BC RR checking in!

New Members! Please stop by here and introduce yourselves.
Altoona+BeachCreek
Conductor

A&BC RR checking in! Unread post

Hello to all. I'm going to go by Altoona & Beach Creek, which was a narrow guage shortline named for my hometown, the famous railfan hub of Altoona, PA. I joined the forums just now so I can talk to the many people who share my interest, specifically in Railroad Tycoon 3 custom editing. I'm 14 years old, male, and love trains. Favorite railroad is PRR, favorite "standing flag" is NS. How 'bout them heritage units? Thanks for reading. Just figured my first post should be here, introducing myself to the great community!
Blackhawk
CEO

Re: A&BC RR checking in! Unread post

Welcome to the forums. Enjoy RT3 and the many maps that are offered here.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Yea, what he said. ^**lylgh

You say you're into custom editing. Does that mean we can look for some new maps from you? :mrgreen:
Hawk
Altoona+BeachCreek
Conductor

Oh, I am certainly going to try. My interests are in small narrow gauge lines, like in South America. I was thoroughly impressed by "Sugar Cane Island," but it won't work on my computer. So, I may try to work on a small island of my own. I'm also going to need to add some new locos, such as 2-6-6-2T based on the Bachmann model, and editing the Dorcestor to make a John Bull. ofcourse, these will have to wait until I figure out how. :salute:
"Train roll on, on down the line. Take me many miles from my home."
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Why do you say you can't get Sugar Cane Island to work, and where did you find this map?
Hawk
Altoona+BeachCreek
Conductor

The map is fictional, therefore in "other lands" page two. Let me run RRt3 real quick and see what the error message says:
Actually, the error itself just says "Railroad Tycoon 3 has stopped working" and gives the options to close or look for a solution. Ofcourse, it never does anything when you click look. But the game crashes when loading the map, more specifically, while loading Player Database. This also happens to me when loading "British Miracle." BTW, my game is still 1.0. I can't update my game, either. When I do, it crashes with a red X. I actually had an updated version which worked on my old computer, but I tried it on my new one it it always crashed. I bought the original in the big box, and this one's working pretty good. I can even manually install the loco's and maps from Coast to Coast as if they were mods, and that works. I just can't literally update the game. !hairpull!
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Do you run Win 7?

If so, did you install in the default directory. Program Files or Program Files (86)?
Hawk
Hawk
The Big Dawg

You must be talking about Island Sugar Company. That's why I couldn't find it. I was looking for Sugar Cane Island.
Hawk
Altoona+BeachCreek
Conductor

Yeah, Island Sugar Company. Whoops. Uh, the computer... let me check:Oh, yeah, it is Windows 7. Now, when I run the auto-install for the updates, I go ahead and let it unzip to the default location, which says Railroad Tycoon 3, but nothing happens *whatsoever*. So, I manually installed all the files into their corresponding locations, and swapped the .exe files. That updated it, but crashed it as well. Swapped them back out, and it ran as 1.0.0, but with all the update data. I just don''t see how that works...
Hawk
The Big Dawg

The reason you can't update RT3 in the default installation directory is because Microsoft decided to protect all files in the Program Files directories, which means you can't write to them; hence you can't update the RT3.exe file.

The best option is to uninstall RT3 from the default directory and install it into a directory outside of the Program Files directories. Then you'll be able to patch them.

Also, you might be interested in this topic about multiple installs.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2363
Hawk
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Most of the maps in the archive require at least the 1.04 patch (Coast to Coast Expansion) installed, and a lot require at least 1.05 or 1.06.
Hawk
Altoona+BeachCreek
Conductor

Okay, I'll try that. Of course, that means another backup folder. This may be my 6th or 7th one.