G'day

New Members! Please stop by here and introduce yourselves.
Evan

G'day Unread post

G'day all from Evan in the big brown land down under.

Been playing RT3 (and before that RT1) for a while now and decided to have a foray into map and scenario making.

All went well (fairly well, anyway) on a map and scenario involving exploiting the forests in my local area (Newcastle in New South Wales) until I tried creating my first event. All came to a grinding halt after the suggestion in the manual to look at some existing ones. I tried finding some sort of tutorial, but even the Famous Web Search Engine hasn't been able to come up with one that starts at the simple level I'm stuck at.

Hence my joining the forum - which from what I've seen so far looks to have the best coverage.

Registration was prompted by the need to see some images that accompanied an explanation. So I haven't figured out a sensible question to ask yet. Unless, that is, anyone knows of a really good tutorial that someone has taken the trouble to put together.

Evan
thegrindre
Engineer

Re: G'day Unread post

Well, Evan, you've come to the right place. Welcome aboard! (0!!0)

Hang around awhile and help will follow. These guys around here are RT fanatics. !*th_up*!

Personally, I'm into Trainz and unable to help.

Enjoy your stay. :mrgreen:
a.k.a. Rick

At my age, 'Happy Hour' is a nap...
Hawk
The Big Dawg

(*!!wel aboard Evan. Always good to meet new members.

I'd like to suggest reading a couple of threads that may help you to a more enjoyable, personal experience here.
One gives a little info about the UCP (Users Control Panel) and can be found at this link. viewtopic.php?f=49&t=920
The other details some new BBCode that's been added. viewtopic.php?f=52&t=930

Also you might want to look through the various threads about the New Forum Design, found at this link. viewforum.php?f=48
It will give you some ideas about how to utilize the forum software.

I'd also like to recommend reading the Forum Guidelines forum, found here. viewforum.php?f=10 Some general info about forum use can be found there. :-D

Again, Welcome aboard! Make yourself at home and enjoy. :salute:
Hawk
Evan

Thanks for the welcome folks.

It's much appreciated.

I'm discovering new stuff all the time here.

Evan
Grandma Ruth
CEO

Evan wrote:So I haven't figured out a sensible question to ask yet. Unless, that is, anyone knows of a really good tutorial that someone has taken the trouble to put together.Evan
Hi Evan, welcome!
I think your best bet is to look at some of the threads in "Letters to the Editor", which is where the scenario-making stuff is. Then go ahead, take the plunge - ask your question! ;-)
"I will not take 'but' for an answer" - Langston Hughes
Canadian Viking
Brakeman

Two suggestions for ya, mate. If you know what you want to do with your event, start a thread in Letters to the Editor and ask, "How do I .......?" Help will be on the way in cyber speed.

The other approach works if you've seen the event you like in another game. Put the game on pause, hold down the Shift key and hit "E" and it will put you in the editor. Then you can scan the events until you find the one you liked, and see how it was constructed. After you make some notes, Shift E will get you back out of the editor and you can carry on with your game.

I was a newby at creating games last year, but got some good help at this site. Now I have one game posted here and the 2nd is progressing well and should be done in a couple months (since I only get about an hour each day to work on it). :roll:
Evan

Thanks for the advice folks. So far I've managed to find the answers to the various stumbling blocks I've hit already on the site. Some of them have meant re-working stuff I'd already done, so progress is slow. But hey, Rome wasn't built in a day, was it!
Gwizz
CEO

I think it too 3 1/2 days to build Rome. (*!!wel