Greetings & Salutations

New Members! Please stop by here and introduce yourselves.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Re: Greetings & Salutations Unread post

Just to let you know, I answered your PM. ;-)
Hawk
GandyDancer
Hobo

Replied to the PM's.

ATM I am working on a new scenario for RT3 1.06. I have completed the map alterations, added the regions. Working on the events now. Have all the railroad tech parts added and history till 1890, still have to complete the history and then figure out what effects the events have on the game. I have got to stop looking at this for awhile and go play some. Getting a headache. Already figured out that I will have to come up with an innovative way to use the limited variables available but that is the least of my worries, know of several ways to do that. I was hoping to get it done by this weekend before my brother showed up, but he has decided not to travel north. So I guess I am going to put more time into it. By the time I am done with it, I am sure it will explode when loaded, and then I will swear at myself for not doing more testing while I was writting this. ROFLMAO
GandyDancer

I am doing what I do best,
Not sure what it is yet,
But I am a doin' it.
Blackhawk
CEO

The more events and more creative you try to get with the variables, the more likely it is to explode! I'm speaking from experience here as the current TM map I'm working on has about 150 events using many variables and in some cases trying to use the variables in a creative way. I wrote the majority of the events first, and then went back to start play testing things, which the map has roughly 3 phases. Looking back on it, it may have been better to just do 1 part at a time then test it, but then again writing all the events at once seemed to be working fine for me, except when I took a month or two off of RT3 and forgot what everything did. !hairpull!

If you plan on using a lot of variables, and especially if you are reusing a variable. I'd be sure to make a list of what variables you used, and when they are in use. This may help reduce the amount of exploding that occurs.
GandyDancer
Hobo

Well writing down variables and such other things are a standard practice in programming so that is not the issue. Haven't really played this version of the game all that much so have to see what the limits are. And I am of the old school, I need to run into the wall to know where the boundries are. People could tell me what they are, but that wouldn't matter. I would still have to run into the wall for me to say ok, can't do that, and then I would still probably try and figure away around, over or through the wall until I had a headache from pounding my head against it. Ok, so I am slightly bull headed. But then, that is just the way I was raised.
GandyDancer

Not sure what it is yet,
But I am a doin' it.
nedfumpkin
CEO

GandyDancer wrote:Well writing down variables and such other things are a standard practice in programming so that is not the issue. Haven't really played this version of the game all that much so have to see what the limits are. And I am of the old school, I need to run into the wall to know where the boundries are. People could tell me what they are, but that wouldn't matter. I would still have to run into the wall for me to say ok, can't do that, and then I would still probably try and figure away around, over or through the wall until I had a headache from pounding my head against it. Ok, so I am slightly bull headed. But then, that is just the way I was raised.
I concur! !hairpull!
GandyDancer
Hobo

Hmmm, wonder if that concur is for being Bull Headed or banging your Head against the Wall. LOL
GandyDancer

Not sure what it is yet,
But I am a doin' it.
nedfumpkin
CEO

The whole of it. How else could you explain me spending two years working on TM and having no intention of doing anything else as far as gaming for a while. :)
GandyDancer
Hobo

Because you are as insane as I am, possibly, na, couldn't be that nutz, you're still walking around and the guys with the big net just haven't found me yet. ^**lylgh
GandyDancer

Not sure what it is yet,
But I am a doin' it.
Grandma Ruth
CEO

HI GandyDancer! I'm a bit late with my welcome as I've had an awful summer due to a sudden family bereavement and only just getting back to normal now. First thing I'll do is get up Hawk's nose :salute: by suggesting he move this thread to a better place as anybody looking to get involved wouldn't necessarily look here for such a technical discussion. :mrgreen: