Hello from the Northeast Corridor!

New Members! Please stop by here and introduce yourselves.
Beancounter
Watchman

Hello from the Northeast Corridor! Unread post

Hi All,

I love the idea of economic strategy games, but until RRT3, I haven't really found a good one.

Capitalism 2 was buggy. SC3000 doesn't work well on my PC. Rollercoaster Tycoon/zoo tycoon are too simple.

So, I've spent my time mostly playing turn based strategy games Civ4, Alpha Centauri, Gal Civ 2. etc. I started getting tired of them and looked for a "new" game. I downloaded the RRT3 demo last week and loved it. Right now, I'm searching around for the best price to pick up a copy.

How do you "know" if a game is really good?
By the number of active sites dedicated to the game several years after it's release. RRT3 appears to be one of those games!

There are no fan sites for capitalism 2...

So, why am I interested in trains. I've always liked them. One of my best childhood memories is going to an old train yard with my father and climbing to the top of some of the cars.

This has been a long "hello". So, I'll close by saying I'm really glad to find this site.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Re: Hello from the Northeast Corridor! Unread post

Howdy Beancounter. (*!!wel aboard.

I would look for RT3 in the discount rack of your favorite PC game rack. You can generally find a copy for about $10.00.
If at all possible stay away from the Steam site download version. You can't update it with the new patches.
I found several copies at a Target near me here in the South. If all else fails I have a brand new copy I can let you have for $10.00. When I found them at Target I picked up a couple. I still have my original 2 cd release so I don't need this new one. I just picked them up for a situation like this. :salute:
Hawk
nedfumpkin
CEO

Welcome aboard.

You could probably find RT3 if you looked for it. Another option is E-bay.

Since you've got the demo version, I can tell you that you are going to be pleasantly surprised by the full game because it gets better. The two scenarios you get are great, especially Germantown. You will then discover that you will have all kinds of nifty things available to you such as maps, mods, and all kinds of things.

If you come across RT2, I would suggest that you grab that too. It's just as much fun as RT3, but different.
Grandma Ruth
CEO

Hello and (*!!wel You're going to have so much fun! You'll find RT, RT2 and RT3 on Amazon, as well.
proudcanadian
Conductor

(*!!wel Aboard!
I don't drive a dogsled to work, I don't live in an igloo, and we're the SECOND LARGEST COUNTRY ON EARTH!!!
Beancounter
Watchman

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

I can't find RRT3 locally, so I'm going to get it from Amazon.com. I'll probably try to get a strategy manual too.

BC
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

Beancounter wrote:I'll probably try to get a strategy manual too.
Why? You have the greatest strategy manual right here with the Forum; and best of all it's free! Just ask away and you'll probably get an answer to just about any question.
Beancounter
Watchman

Wolverine@MSU wrote:
Beancounter wrote:I'll probably try to get a strategy manual too.
Why? You have the greatest strategy manual right here with the Forum; and best of all it's free! Just ask away and you'll probably get an answer to just about any question.
You're right. There's lots of great info here!

So much in fact, that I was getting info overload when I tried to learn everything in one night. :-D
Grandma Ruth
CEO

When questions come up you can use the "search" facility to find where the answers are. (At the top of the screen, just under the ticker-tape) Only caution is that it doesn't look for "common" words so you might need to play around a bit with your search terms. If you can't find what you're looking for, just ask and somebody will either reply or point you in the right direction. We love to give advice!
;-)
JayEff
Conductor

I tried the Capitalism 2 Demo.I didn't like it, and stuck with Capitalism Plus. I like the way the companies and players work, because they can be serious takeover threats. AI players in RT never take control of companies.

But CapPlus can get tedious. I will develop a business model and clone it to every city, and it seems endless, building the same buildings, linking the raw materials, and so on.
BikerTim
Brakeman

Greetings from the Lone Star State to the Granite State! I will actually be paying a visit to your state in September. That time of the year it should be beautiful! I don't get there very often. Welcome aboard!

:salute:
Life is not fair, but it is still good.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

I have a friend that lives in New Hampshire. I was up there a couple of years ago. Beautiful state.
Of course I took a ride on the Cog while I was there. :mrgreen:
Hawk
Beancounter
Watchman

BikerTim wrote:Greetings from the Lone Star State to the Granite State! I will actually be paying a visit to your state in September. That time of the year it should be beautiful! I don't get there very often. Welcome aboard!

:salute:
Hi BikerTim,

Bring a raincoat!

We've had a very rainy summer and it doesn't look like the weather pattern is going to to change any time soon...

BC
Beancounter
Watchman

Hawk wrote:I have a friend that lives in New Hampshire. I was up there a couple of years ago. Beautiful state.
Of course I took a ride on the Cog while I was there. :mrgreen:
i have to get up to mt. washington one of these days.

It's like someone who lives in NYC, but never gets around to visiting the statue of liberty. :-D

Only 5 more days until the mailman brings RRT3...
Hawk
The Big Dawg

It's well worth the trip. You can see some pictures I took at this link.

http://hawkdawg.com/photos/ne-us/cog.htm
Hawk