Hello and help please.

New Members! Please stop by here and introduce yourselves.
Dad
Hobo

Hello and help please. Unread post

Hi,
I am new to the site, but not to RT2 &3. I could not play it with my Vista machine and I have been thinking about getting Windows 7 so I could use the emulator.
I have experienced memory issues and I do not remember where to zip the files to. I have the rolling stock, locomotives, maps, and skins. I want to think that RT3 helps me with my memory, but maybe not. Can anyone help me with where to install the files? Oh, where is the 1.06 patch? Thanks,
Dad.
nedfumpkin
CEO

Re: Hello and help please. Unread post

Welcome aboard....there's a fix for Vista now.

Downloads are available here: http://hawkdawg.com/rrt/rrt3/rrt3.htm
Dad
Hobo

Hamilton where in Canada? I am in Hamilton, Montana!
Dad
Hobo

Thanks. I have the downloads, but I cannot find the 1.08 patch. also, where do I install the updates, stock, skins, locomotives, maps, etc?
Blackhawk
CEO

Welcome to the forums.

Do you mean 1.06 patch? Cause as far as I know RT3 was only officially patched up to 1.05, and unofficially patched to 1.06. The 1.06 patch as well as vista fix and readmes should be on the link Ned gave. In most cases the readme should help you figure out how to go about installing the patch. (I forget if the 1.06 patch is an .exe file that installs itself or if it comes with instructions on where to copy and paste files into your RT3 directory. http://hawkdawg.com/rrt/rrt3/xtras/xtras.htm

Also some of the individual files for skins or new engines have a readme file that explain where to copy their files to. I think generally the pk4 files go into the RT3 folder called Railroad Tycoon 3\Data\UserExtraContent. and the .loc and .car files for new engines would go in the \Railroad Tycoon 3\Data\EngineTypes folder. (with new buildings the building files, .bca and .byt would go into the \building types folder and again the pk4 goes into the UserExtraContent folder. The patch to 1.06 includes several new engines though so you'll likely want to install that first and see what it installs and what else you'd want to add.
nedfumpkin
CEO

I just south of Toronto. Right near one of the busiest rail junctions (freight) in North America
proudcanadian
Conductor

(*!!wel Aboard!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't 1.05 unofficial as well? :?:
I don't drive a dogsled to work, I don't live in an igloo, and we're the SECOND LARGEST COUNTRY ON EARTH!!!
Dad
Hobo

The 1.05 is official, and I have that and teh vista fix. Is 1.06 included in the vista fix download?
also, thank you to you wonderful people. I did not know if anyone would reply or if I would receive criticism for being dumb, so thank you again.
Dad
nedfumpkin
CEO

The vista fix is just a couple of files to make your machine run under vista....the 1.06 is a much larger file.
Blackhawk
CEO

As Ned said the vista fix is a different download than the 1.06 patch which is a fairly large patch. Version 1.06 introduces some new engines and cargos and as such 1.06 maps will not work in a 1.05 version of RT3. If you plan on playing a lot of 1.05 still as well as 1.06 you may want to consider having multiple installs of the game on your computer.

To quote Hawk on how to do this from a recent post of his:
Before you start installing all the patches, let me make a suggestion.

Install the game from scratch, then patch it up to and including the 1.05 patch (don't forget the Coast to Coast Expansion ).

Before you install the 1.06 patch, create a new folder on your hard drive somewhere outside of the Railroad Tycoon 3 folder and name it something like RT3 106.
Copy the entire contents of the Railroad Tycoon 3 folder into the new RT3 106 folder. Then patch that to 1.06.

For Trainmaster, do the same thing. Copy the 1.05 contents into a new folder named something like RT3 TM. Then install TM into that.

Once you have the two new installs done, open the main folders for each of them and right click on the RT3.exe and send it to desktop (create shortcut) for both of them (the 1.05 install should have already placed an icon on your desktop).

I hope I explained this in an understandable manor.
In case you are wondering what Trainmaster (TM) is it's another modifcation to the game that in a nutshell, changes some of the cargos and makes the industry suppy chain system more complex.
Dad
Hobo

Yes, thank you.
How do I find the 1.06 patch?
Thanks again,
Dad
Blackhawk
CEO

http://hawkdawg.com/rrt/rrt3/xtras/xtras.htm
Scroll down to where it says: "The "Official" Final Version Release of the "Un-Official" RT3 1.06 Patch. by Milo, Bombardiere & Crew"
Hawk
The Big Dawg

If you haven't seen the link to download the 1.06 patch yet, that means that you most likely haven't been to the User Created Extras section of the site, which then means you're missing a lot of cool stuff. :mrgreen:
Hawk