Help making a Southwest map

Ins and Outs of Creating the Map
nedfumpkin
CEO

Re: Help making a Southwest map Unread post

Wolverine@MSU wrote:I'm not sue how one would use an "Always False" event.
You have to be married to understand that one. :)

Seriously...I've never seen it used nor can I think if a use for it.
Gwizz
CEO

I have used the always false statement 2 or 3 times.
My memory is a bit fuzzy on the exact details, But, generally the way I used it:

The alway false statement followed an always true statement.
The alway true statement - added to a variable
The always False statement followed the alway true statement & subtracted from that variable. It is possible to have other events in between the two that also affected that same variable.

That way something could be always true but only add to a variable if something else was always not false.

If I remember correctly I had run out of variables and needed another wild card to change a variable setting. I think it was in regards to what manager was hired. Another time it affected build able track cell count. Another time it was gambling losses. But, I'm not totally sure how I set these events up.

PS:
I thought of another time when I used the same variable for 2 or 3 different setups. (With RT2) One set of events took me to a set of numbers in a variable range that would stay within 10 to 20. Another set of events set a range of variable numbers that would stay within 30 to 40.
For each set of events something was affected within its' specific range. The last event in each event set, alway returned the variable number back to, for example, +1. A false statement was used to reset and to restart the sequence. As it alway gave the same answer of variable =+1. This way the same variable could possibly be used, in turn, a number it times at some point in time. This should be doable in RT3.
KevinL
Dispatcher

I have the info for the ledger set to "ledger/status page" and "always true." Would that cause the year info to display twice?
Computer: 3.2GHz i3, 6.0GB Ram, 1.5TB HD, Win7, RRT3:1.06, SMRR:1.10
Currently playing: RRT3 - Campaign Scenerios
Currently creating: RRT3 - Southwest scenerio
Grandma Ruth
CEO

nedfumpkin wrote:
Wolverine@MSU wrote:I'm not sue how one would use an "Always False" event.
You have to be married to understand that one. :)
!**fldwn!

Kevin, I don't think it's anything you've done, I just think it's a glitch in the programming. Wish I had the knowledge to fix it. But here's a possible workaround - why not play with the spacing on the status page and see if you can force that repeated line on to the second page, which ordinarily nobody sees?
Polynesia Rail
Watchman

Hey, guys, I hope I'm not annoying you, but this map doesn't appear in the game, I put the map in the Maps folder (Yes I unzipped it ;-)), but the Map doesn't appear in the game. Do I need the 1.06 patch for this map? I only have the 1.05 patch, and for 1.06 I would have to download over 100 mb of coast to coast expension... :-?

Thank you, David :-D
Hawk
The Big Dawg

I had the same problem. To get a screen-shot of it I had to put the map in my 1.06 installation. It wouldn't show in my 1.05 installation.
Hawk
Polynesia Rail
Watchman

Hawk wrote:I had the same problem. To get a screen-shot of it I had to put the map in my 1.06 installation. It wouldn't show in my 1.05 installation.
:cry: lol then I have to create a southwestern base map myself :-(
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

The base map was made in 1.06, so I assume you'll need 1.06 to play it.
Stoker
Engineer

KevinL wrote:A couple problems:

The text at the top of the ledger states how many years you have been playing, and the final year to accomplish the goals. However, that same text repeats at the bottom. Why?

I want the player to start in Los Angeles and build connected track. Do I have to start the company for them and place the station in advance? I tried building the station and then starting the game, but the game counted the station as foreign.

For some reason the game is letting me build houses, cinemas, churches, commercial buildings, etc, in the Build Station screen. Why?
The repeat text sounds like you copied an event (ledger) and used the new event for something else but forgot to erase the text or didnt change the event to something other than "annual ledger".

As for the starting point, you can try making territories, one perhaps encompassing L.A. which is available to the player at the start of the game, and then making other(or all) territories available after placing the first station.
For example: make only territory available to Player at start of game "L.A.". then make other territories available by a "trigger event". Event would have "when station is placed" checked on right side, and then put "always true" as condition, thus, when the first station is placed this event will trigger.Then in this event make the effect to enable other or all of the rest of territories. The player would then place his first station in the only territory available (L.A.) and this would enable the surrounding areas to then be buildable and he can then proceed to build out from there. You would of course have to check "disable unconnected track building" in the special conditions menu to prevent player from building from other locations . This example is a simple way to achieve the fixed starting point, and there is of course many ways to achieve this same thing. Generally speaking, the simplest way is the best in programming events, only make them more complicated if there is a reason to do so.

The third problem has to do with having those buildings checked in the overall industries menu, which enables the player to build them in game. uncheck that which you dont want and they wont be buildable in game.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke
KevinL
Dispatcher

Polynesia Rail wrote:Hey, guys, I hope I'm not annoying you, but this map doesn't appear in the game, I put the map in the Maps folder (Yes I unzipped it ;-)), but the Map doesn't appear in the game. Do I need the 1.06 patch for this map? I only have the 1.05 patch, and for 1.06 I would have to download over 100 mb of coast to coast expension... :-?

You have 1.05 installed but not the 1.04 Coast to Coast patch installed? I would recommend you uninstall 1.05 and then install 1.04. The Coast to Coast 1.04 patch includes a lot of new scenerios, locomotives and bug fixes that are not in the 1.05 patch. Then you can install the 1.05 patch again.

That stinks that you 1.05 players cant use this base map because it was created with a 1.06 game. I wouldnt think it was a problem. I planned on making my map for 1.06 only, though.
Polynesia Rail
Watchman

KevinL wrote:
Polynesia Rail wrote:Hey, guys, I hope I'm not annoying you, but this map doesn't appear in the game, I put the map in the Maps folder (Yes I unzipped it ;-)), but the Map doesn't appear in the game. Do I need the 1.06 patch for this map? I only have the 1.05 patch, and for 1.06 I would have to download over 100 mb of coast to coast expension... :-?

You have 1.05 installed but not the 1.04 Coast to Coast patch installed? I would recommend you uninstall 1.05 and then install 1.04. The Coast to Coast 1.04 patch includes a lot of new scenerios, locomotives and bug fixes that are not in the 1.05 patch. Then you can install the 1.05 patch again.

That stinks that you 1.05 players cant use this base map because it was created with a 1.06 game. I wouldnt think it was a problem. I planned on making my map for 1.06 only, though.
I removed 1.05 and I am now installing the Coast to Coast Expension! Then I will install 1.05 and 1.06! !!clap!!

And then I finally can play your map! :-D
KevinL
Dispatcher

I tried to search for this, but I kept getting this response:
The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words: demand people.
You must specify at least one word to search for. Each word must consist of at least 3 characters and must not contain more than 14 characters excluding wildcards.
Is there a way to increase (or decrease) the demand for passengers at a certain city? I see a way to change passenger prices, and passenger production, but I'm guessing that affects every city in the game. Can I narrow that down to one specific city? How about any other cargo, for that matter?
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

I don't think you can directly change demand like you can change production. I think that if you put a city in a Territory, and then increased the price of PAX in that Territory, it would have the effect of increasing demand.
Stoker
Engineer

I like to program warehouses as "passenger terminals" you can give them a demand/produce passengers function, or of course demand only and or produce only. You can add a demand for coffee and perhaps demand / supply for mail as well. They work good, but look crummy of course, with the "warehouse" skin. You can manually place one where you want increased passenger demand, and still have the "spawn" warehouse be something else. :idea:

Edit to add: The price of cargoes is unfortunately Global only Wolverine. You cant set different prices in different territories, I found this out the hard way making my Motor City scenario( I think it was based on your Michigan map ;-) ) where I was trying to adjust prices in small territories for Automobile production. It took me a while to figure out that I wasnt missing some detail in an event , but rather that I couldnt make different prices in different territories. :-|
Last edited by Stoker on Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Edmund Burke
nedfumpkin
CEO

But what really sucks is that you can't use the add building effect to add warehouses for some reason!
Stoker
Engineer

The add building actually does work for warehouses and ports, but they are real picky about the placement. I think that when it "places" the new warehouse it randomly picks a spot within the radius defined for placement. If the terrain picked at random is unsuitable OR already built on, I think it just doesn't place it at all- rather than trying again to find a suitable spot. I have a scenario where you have options to "buy access" to warehouses -in this case "Peabody Coal" and a "European Imports" one, and if you "build " the facility paying x amount of $, it places the warehouse on the map. I found a location where the warehouse will place every time, and made the location somewhere not likely to get built on before the build option comes up. The port placement is even more finicky, I havnt managed to get it to build a port for certain every time, but it might be possible in certain locations..

Edmund Burke
nedfumpkin
CEO

Weird, I must've missed it in the list because I couldn't find add warehouse...I'll have to look again.
KevinL
Dispatcher

nedfumpkin wrote:But what really sucks is that you can't use the add building effect to add warehouses for some reason!
Sure you can, but I think its a 1.06 thing.
KevinL
Dispatcher

Stoker wrote: As for the starting point, you can try making territories, one perhaps encompassing L.A. which is available to the player at the start of the game, and then making other(or all) territories available after placing the first station.
For example: make only territory available to Player at start of game "L.A.". then make other territories available by a "trigger event". Event would have "when station is placed" checked on right side, and then put "always true" as condition, thus, when the first station is placed this event will trigger.Then in this event make the effect to enable other or all of the rest of territories. The player would then place his first station in the only territory available (L.A.) and this would enable the surrounding areas to then be buildable and he can then proceed to build out from there. You would of course have to check "disable unconnected track building" in the special conditions menu to prevent player from building from other locations . This example is a simple way to achieve the fixed starting point, and there is of course many ways to achieve this same thing. Generally speaking, the simplest way is the best in programming events, only make them more complicated if there is a reason to do so.
Ok, I tried this idea. I created a new territory "Los Angeles", made its border invisible, and remapped it to California. Then I made all other territories limited access with a $1,000,000 buy-in. However, when I start it will not let me place anything as all of California is off-limits, including my Los Angeles territory. Do I have to enable the L.A. border to make it available separately? And after you place a station in the L.A. territory, how would I give access to all states but still have a $1,000,000 buy-in for Mexico? The only thing I see in the events is allow access to all territories, or change territory buy-in. I set territory buy-in to -100% after placing a station but it didnt work.
Stoker
Engineer

HI Kevin. The answer to why you dont have access to your LA territory is indeed because you have an invisible border, and it is remapped to California, which I believe you have set as limited access, available with a $1 Million payment. The easy solution here would be to make the L.A. border visible, and NOT select limted access for it in the territories dialog. This will allow access to it at the start of the game.The second part of this requires either making 1 event to enable all territories after the first station is placed, or making all territories not allowed at the start(Event with Condition : Force test against territories is True, with "All Territories" selected and Condition : Force test against companies is true, with either onscreen player or all players selected, and then an Effect : Allow all Territories FALSE), at beginning of scenario,Then make another event to allow the L.A. territory only by making an Event : Condition : Force test against players is True- with Onscreen player only selected, and Condition : Force test against Territories is True, with "L.A." selected in the territories box, and the Effect: "Territories enable all" True. This enables the L.A. territory at start. Then make events to enable each territory individually. If you have several states as individual territories, and then Mexico as another, you would have to enable each state one by one by making an event with these parameters : First, select "when track or station is placed" on the right side. then make this - Conditions : Force test against territories is TRUE, with the territory you are enabling (lets use CA for an example)selected in the drop-down box on the right.and also another Condition "Force test against companies is true", with on screen players company(or all companies if this is what you desire, but it would be easier to select "AIs allow all territories" in the special conditions box for them, unless you intend to keep them out of Mexico as well) selected from the options. And then make this-- Effects: "Territories allow all" . This Effect , will not "enable all territories" as the name implies, but will only enable the territory that you force tested against as a Condition, in this case "CA". Once you have made this event, you can copy it and simply select the other territories in a series of events, having a separate event to enable each one. They will all fire off in series when the first station is placed in L.A. All of these events should of course have "One time only Event" checked as well.This is not as hard as it might seem, I guarantee that it took me way longer to type this than it would to program that series of Events.

Edmund Burke