Making a RT3 map from hights - southwest USA basemap

Ins and Outs of Creating the Map
gismoskip
Brakeman

Making a RT3 map from hights - southwest USA basemap Post

hello, i just want to know something about "seeding" the map - i've been recently working on the map mentioned above, and i almost have it "seeded" quite well. i want to know what you guys think - i'm making a new map with it. you can see my idea for the breifing for it on the map already. note to hawk: just found your biography on this page. I salute you. :salute:
Attachments
test.zip
this is it :) (1.06)
(2.31 MiB) Downloaded 267 times
gismoskip, current RT3 player working on the maps of tomorrow for RT3. better belive it.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Re: Making a RT3 map from hights - southwest USA basemap Post

gismoskip wrote:note to hawk: just found your biography on this page. I salute you. :salute:
My biography on this page? You mean this page, don't you? :mrgreen:
Hawk
gismoskip
Brakeman

Hawk wrote:
gismoskip wrote:note to hawk: just found your biography on this page. I salute you. :salute:
My biography on this page? You mean this page, don't you? :mrgreen:
yes. and can you answer my question? or are you looking at my map? (as i post this)
gismoskip, current RT3 player working on the maps of tomorrow for RT3. better belive it.
gismoskip
Brakeman

gismoskip wrote:
Hawk wrote: My biography on this page? You mean this page, don't you? :mrgreen:
yes. and can you answer my question? or are you looking at my map? (as i post this)
has ANYONE tried my custom seeded map yet? (word of warning - sometimes it does NO farms, and sometimes it's the right amount. i think it's a bug due to the large map - it's titantic)
nedfumpkin
CEO

It's 1.06 so I won't bother to look at it. I only play Trainmaster and 1.05.

I'm not a fan of seeding maps for the most part. Mines and logging camps okay, but everything else should be by placement or event in my opinion. It takes experience to balance a map and have it seed the way you want it to throughout the game. It's trial and error for the most part.
gismoskip
Brakeman

nedfumpkin wrote: . . . It takes experience to balance a map and have it seed the way you want it to throughout the game. It's trial and error for the most part.
yea. i have spent the good part of the last week or so doing it.
nedfumpkin wrote:Mines and logging camps okay, but everything else should be by placement or event in my opinion.
hmmm . . . . . maybe in TM (which i might get soon) but in RT3 1.06, it's kind of my fun part. it's challenging. yes, placement and event is more direct, but requires tons of micromanagement. i can see your point though. but why 1.05? (guess: 1.05 is the "offical" most recent release, but TM is the most recent "un-offical" release. am i warm? :lol: )
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

Way too many Munititions Factories, Textile Mills, Steel Mills, Meat Processing Plants and Wool Farms. Oil wasn't big business in Texas until the turn of the century (1900 or so). I ran several seedings, and in one, there were at least 15-20 Produce Farms in the Calif. Central Valley, along with 10 or more Dairy Farms. Overall, there seems to be a lot of cargo on the map for 1870. Remember that the west was only just opening up then, with virtually nothing between the Mississippi River and California until well into the 20th century.
nedfumpkin
CEO

gismoskip wrote: but why 1.05? (guess: 1.05 is the "offical" most recent release, but TM is the most recent "un-offical" release. am i warm? :lol: )
I play 1.05 as a purist without any add-ons whatsoever. This lets me remain grounded in the original game when working on TM. When 1.06 first came out it could only be played on XP. Trainmaster was designed to work on Win 98 and Vista, as well as XP. By the time the vista fix was released for 1.06, TM was already a beta. TM has all of the features of 1.06, and more.
gismoskip
Brakeman

Wolverine@MSU wrote:Way too many Munititions Factories, Textile Mills, Steel Mills, Meat Processing Plants and Wool Farms. Oil wasn't big business in Texas until the turn of the century (1900 or so). I ran several seedings, and in one, there were at least 15-20 Produce Farms in the Calif. Central Valley, along with 10 or more Dairy Farms. Overall, there seems to be a lot of cargo on the map for 1870. Remember that the west was only just opening up then, with virtually nothing between the Mississippi River and California until well into the 20th century.
ok, i'll tune it down a bit. it's no problem. anyway, i'm gona make a map with the southwest hightmap - it's gonna be awesome!