Naming your railroad

Ins and Outs of Creating the Map
jrbrockm
Hobo

Naming your railroad Unread post

Hi All,
I've been trying to find somewhere in scenario-creation-land where I can type in the default name for the railroad company at the beginning of the scenario. We all know that when we start a company, we have to choose a name and logo. Rather than just get a generic name, I'd like to suggest one for the player that might be somewhat historically accurate. Anybody know how to do that?
Thanks,
JB
Grandma Ruth
CEO

Re: Naming your railroad Unread post

Do you mean a way where the player can do this or the scenario writer? Not that I know how to do either, but someone will, if it's possible!
jrbrockm
Hobo

I'm referring to the scenario writer. I'm creating a new scenario, and when I'm testing it, it suggests the name "Great Republic" when I start my company. I'm trying to find a way to go back into the editor and change the default from Great Republic to Southern Pacific.
JB
Hawk
The Big Dawg

The only way I know to do it is when you start a scenario. I don't think it can be done in the editor unless you start the company in the editor then save it as a scenario with the company pre-started.
Hawk
Pat in the desert
Hobo

Not sure if you are aware of this jrbrock, but if you add in one of the logo packs, you can at least have the graphic symbols of many of the railroads. As to the naming, it's up to the user when creating the company. Unless the scenario starts after the creation of the company, which is an option.
nedfumpkin
CEO

If you go into the ledger, you can change the logo and name of your company during gameplay. The suggested names for companies comes from the language file and it randomly selects from a list of 10.

If you wanted, you could edit the language file to have your suggested names, and include it with your scenario, but otherwise I can't think of anything.
jrbrockm
Hobo

Hmm, thanks all.
I think I'll set up the company in the editor. Scenario "Central California" is almost ready.
Cheers,
JB
OilCan
Engineer

nedfumpkin wrote:If you wanted, you could edit the language file ....
This got my interest, so I found the language file in the data folder and opened it with notebook. Fascinating! It contains all the text and messages that we might see during a game. It has the newspaper banner names and those odd sub-titles we see in the newspapers - I wondered where they came from. It has the messages when you win gold, silver or bronze. It has every bit of text which appears in the game! I thought about changing some of them, but I couldn't decide what to change. Maybe I'll work on some of those odd newspaper sub-titles.
nedfumpkin
CEO

I replaced all those newspaper sub-headlinesin TM with actual headlines that didn't make sense.

You can also change the memo of the day for commercial, the school stuff, etc.
OilCan
Engineer

It later occured to me to change the "Common", "Average". "Rare" and "Never" for tunnels & bridges to something which makes more sense to me. I still don't know the difference between common and average. except that common must mean the game builds tunnels and bridges more readily than on any of the other settings.
sbaros
Conductor

Running out of ideas for the names of cities and industries in your Railroad and Transport Tycoon fictional maps? Do you lack inspiration for the naming of the stations in your model rail layout? Are you looking for convincing or amusing placenames for some alternate reality simulation and want to avoid mentioning existing locations? Are you fed up with uninspiring anagrams such as "Crand Ganyon" and the like? Then you might find a helpful utility at
https://railstuff.000webhostapp.com/Ortsnamen-rib.html
For obvious reasons I chose the distinctive title "Böhmische Dörfer" for the project. Have fun and send feedback !
If you have no Marxists in the leadership of your trade union, you have no trade union.
Abolish NATO and the (Na)zionist state !