Bmp2gmp dummies guide?

Ins and Outs of Creating the Map
OilCan
Engineer

Bmp2gmp dummies guide? Unread post

I need a dummies guide to how to run the bmp2gmp utility. My downloaded version does nothing when I click on the exe file except flicker a dos window for a split second. I went into the dos window and executed bmp2gmp and nothing happened. What am I doing wrong here? (I'm using Windows XP).
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

Re: Bmp2gmp dummies guide? Unread post

It's a command line program and has to be run from an MS-DOS prompt. I forget the exact syntax at the moment but it's something like:

gmp2bmp [inputgamename.gmp]

and it will spitout a 1024 x 1024 pixel file with the same gamename and a .BMP extension.

to put a bmp into a gamefile:

bmp2gmp [bitmapfilename.bmp] [gamefilename.gmp]

The bitmap file must be 1024 x 1024 pixels
OilCan
Engineer

Thanks Wolverine, but I'm still missing a step somewhere.

I can get the bmp2gmp to run and it gives out its OKs and then says 'done' but the gmp file is empty - zero KB. I tried it with a very simple two color map (2 blue shades) and same thing - empty gmp map.

So, theoretically, I should be able to create a .gmp file with bmp2gmp and then open that file in RT3 editor....correct?
Any insight on what step I am missing?
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

I just did some playing with it (it's been a long time since I've used it) and if the filenames have any spaces in them, you must surround the entire name with quote marks. For both programs you have to specify the input file and the output file. For example:

gmp2bmp "Eastern Canada.gmp" "Eastern Canada.bmp"

will make a .bmp file named Eastern Canada.bmp. To put a .bmp back into a .gmp file you would use:

bmp2gmp "Eastern Canada.bmp" "Eastern Canada.gmp"

It will create a new file called "Eastern Canada.gmp.b2g" so it doesn't overwrite the original .gmp file.

If the filename doesn't have any spaces, like Germantown.gmp, then you don't need the quote marks.
OilCan
Engineer

I finally got this to work! As a note, you must have both a .bmp and a .gmp file of the same name in the folder with bmp2gmp. I had a 1024 x 1024 bmp of London, so I created a .gmp of the same size and name with RT3. It was just a flat green tile, but had the same name. Presto, bmp2gmp made a flat .gmp map of London! Of course, I had to change the output filename from London.gmp.b2g to London1.gmp.

Thanks for help.

So, for reference, here's the dummies guide to bmp2gmp:

1. Download the utility from this website. Unzip and keep all files in the same utility folder.
2. Create a .bmp of 1024 x 1024 pixels in size. Place the .bmp into the folder.
3. Create a .gmp with RT3 editor of 1024 x 1024 pixels in size. Name it the same as the filename for the .bmp. Place the .gmp into the folder.
4. Open the Dos window (command prompt). Look at the path route at the prompt (>) and place the utility folder in the directory shown (i.e. C:\documents and settings\name\) -- unless you can recall enough Dos to navigate to the utility folder at the prompt.
5. At the prompt, type bmp2gmp filename.bmp filename.gmp and press enter
6. Find the output file with filename.gmp.b2g
7. Rename to filename1.gmp so as not to replace the original .gmp file in the folder
8. Open filename1.gmp with RT3 editor
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

The .gmp (game map) doesn't have to be 1024 x 1024. It can be any size, but the bitmap overlay that goes along with (embedded in) any map is always 1024 x 1024. RT3 scales the 1024 x 1024 bitmap to fit the dimensions of the RT3 map.
CJJackR
Hobo

Hi, this is a really helpful topic.
But I've struck a new problem: even though I have created a 1024x1024 BMP file, the program keeps giving me errors saying the image size is incorrect.
It's a screenshot made in Google Earth of the northern part of Holland and I saved it using Paint.
I've checked the image size multiple times in different programs and they all say it's 1024x1024. Does BMP2GMP also require a specific BMP format?
Can anyone give me some advice on what to do?

Thanks in advance!
Stoker
Engineer

Just a guess here, but I think there is some criteria requiring the file size to be a product of x64+1, i.e. 1025x1025 instead of 1024x1024

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

1024 x 1024 is correct. I think it has to be 24 bbp (bits per pixel). Save as: 24-bit Bitmap. If you're still having problems, attach the file to a post and I'll give it a try.
CJJackR
Hobo

Thanks for the replies, I've tried both techniques but no luck. :-(
I've attached the 1024x1024, 24bbp, BMP file. I had to change the file extension since uploading .bmp isn't allowed, just change it back.
I surely hope you can figure it out... ;-)

Edit:
By the way... Does BMP2GMP work with grayscales or can you give a map a colour (e.g. a satellite image) overlay?
It doesn't really matter up to this point because I've tried both grayscale and satellite images and neither of them work.
Last edited by CJJackR on Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

I think I figured out the problem. I took your bmp and laid it over another gmp and when I started the newly saved gmp, there were no colors there (remember that the new map is renamed "Filename.gmp.b2g" (to prevent overwriting the original game file) and you have to get rid of the ".b2g" extension before it can load into the game). The thumbnail map when I was in the scenario selection showed the original painting, but when I started the game, the map had lost all of it's original paint job. The solution is to open the new map in the Editor and then save it right away. This will result in the new paint job being applied to the map and to the thumbnail map. Try it and see if that works.
CJJackR
Hobo

Thanks for looking into it.
But the problem is, I don't even get that far. The program (BMP2GMP) doesn't create a single new file.
It just gives an error:
I can't figure out why, I'm using the exact same file I posted here. !hairpull!
I hope you can figure out what's wrong here..

Edit:
The image I posted here, I discovered the landscape was way too stretched (north-south). So I created a new image but still no luck. :-(
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

It might be that it's looking for NNL.bmp in the folder from which you are running your command prompt (C:\Users\Chris). The program doesn't check for the presence of either the BMP or GMP files. I just tried it with a non-existant BMP as an input and got the same error message. Either provide the full path to the BMP and GMP files in the argument, or better yet, work from the folder that has all 3 files (bmp2gmp.exe, File.BMP, File.GMP). I make a shortcut to the command prompt in the folder that contains the BMP and GMP files and make sure the "Preferences" show the shortcut to "Start in" the same folder.

I think that will do the trick.
CJJackR
Hobo

It did do the trick! :-D
I actually had all the files in the path seen in the SS. But I didn't realize I still had to put in the complete path to the .bmp and .gmp files.
When I checked on the C:\Users\Chris map it was full of (empty) .bmp and .gmp files. :lol:

So I got the file converted, opened it in the RRT3 editor and:
http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/4430/problem2g.png
... This is what I get?
Also, the miniature image before you actually start the map up was totally green. I tried different bbp BMP's, but the 24bbp one gave the best results. So I'm stuck again and feeling like a total idiot. *!*!*! :lol:
Hope you got an answer to this one too...
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

Don't know on that one. Zip up your NNL.gmp and post it. I'll download it and see what kind of luck I have with it. What happens if you try to put your bmp (NNL.bmp) onto another gmp? Copy one of the RT3 files (XXXXX.gmp) and use bmp2gmp to repaint the map. Then open that one in the Editor, save it, and reopen it. Could be there's something wrong with your NNL.gmp file.
CJJackR
Hobo

I've tried your suggestion with Argentina Opens Up and it worked!
After that, I created a new (second) empty GMP and it gave the weird stripes again.

I've packed the old, new and Argentina Opens Up GMP's (old=706x706, new=1024x1024) ánd the latest BMP I used.
http://download1076.mediafire.com/20a3h ... r9/NNL.rar

Also tried it on Germany and several other maps: stripes again, seems like Argentina Opens Up was just a lucky one.
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

There must be someting wrong with your original NNL.gmp map. I just tried it with a new 1024 x 1024 map (in 1.06, by the way, what version are you working in?) and your original NNL.bmp and it worked fine (see attachment 1). I also did it with your new NNLCUT1024SQHQ.bmp and it also worked fine (see attachment 2). I tried putting your NNLCUT1024SQHQ.bmp over your NNLCUT1024SQHQlarge.gmp and got exactly what you got, which leads me to believe your NNLCUT1024SQHQlarge.gmp has been corrupted somehow.
Last edited by Wolverine@MSU on Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
CJJackR
Hobo

I'm using 1.06 too. I think it's not a map that's corrupted but my entire Editor. Because each new scratch map I create gives the same result with different BMP's. All striped and just a part of the BMP is copied on to the map.
I've used 2 BMP2GMP programs downloaded from different locations and both gave the same result. I'm going to download the seperate Editor and see if that helps. I'll report back here to tell if that worked.

Thanks for uploading the GMP's by the way, much appreciated. :-)
They do work on my computer.

Edit:
Noticed you can only download the Map Builder seperately... :-(
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

Where are you getting the programs from? It sounds like you're not using an original installation disk. Could be that the downloaded Editor program part has a bug? Is it a separate program? In the "Official" version, it's built into the RT3.EXE program.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

If, by chance, you're using the Steam version of RT3, you might want to consider buying a cd version, which you can find at JustTrains for $8.15 USD.
The Steam version is rather proprietary and might cause problems if trying to use it for anything more than running it 'as-is'; just playing the game.
Hawk