Developing a 2-stage scenario

Tips and Tricks on Events, Economy, etc.
europegrad
Hobo

Developing a 2-stage scenario Unread post

Hi there

Though I am not that active on this site, I've used it a lot and now decided to play a little with the Editor. I have an idea of a scenario I want to develop, but first I'll give you the outlines and maybe you can give me some feedback.

The idea is to take the Brazil map (I don't have abilities to draw a height map from scratch) and totally redo it. This is the preliminary plot (not necessarily the briefing, just a general idea. Scenario is to be played by at least 4 players.

STAGE 1
Brazil, 1960. President Kubitscheck has been inaugurated and is vowing to modernize the country with his 50-years-in-5 program. Brasilia, the new capital, is waiting to boom. New industries are sprawling but need connections. Tax incentives are bringing industries away from their traditional supply zones. On the North, vast lands full of resources are waiting to be explored.

The country has been divided into economic zones. Access to the industrial and population areas in the Southeast is expensive. You will be able to buy those licenses at reduced rates once you have laid down sufficient track in the less developed areas. To prevent monopolies, largest railways will not be able to keep expanding aggressively.

In this context, I plan to create a lot of real-history inspired events like coup d'etat by the military (increasing military cargo), currency crisis, fuel shortages, and so on. Growth will come to a halt and the country will enter a "lost decade" of high costs of construction, limited and expensive credit and loans - all in which the idea is that companies will have to focus in management instead of expansion.

STAGE 2
After many years of crisis, reforms have been approved and analysts say the worst is over. As a result, strong growth waits ahead, but infrastructure is outdated and need repairs and expansion. Subsidies make industrial investment cheaper for the next 5 years. International markets will be open, and each company can choose another country for deep discounted access licenses. Merges are now easier and you can aim to become the most powerful man at the beginning of 21st Century

Conditions for victory would be set on a combination of minimum haulage on key routes, with highest personal net worth being accessory for Gold.

The whole picture is that players would spend half of the game building a base - than holding on it - and, then, manage a later-game frenetic action of mergers/stock activity and industry construction to aim for victory, avoiding an "early set" victory followed just by conservative playing. In this scenario, it would be impossible to "kill it" just in 20 days.

I know it would give me some work, but I'm good with the setting of the alternatives/choices/impacts, and I think it would be a challenging and complex scenario despite being re-written over an known map.

What do you think?
nedfumpkin
CEO

Re: Developing a 2-stage scenario Unread post

Sounds good, but do it in Trainmaster because it was designed for scenarios taking place in the mid 20th century, especially with a military complex.
Blackhawk
CEO

Re: Developing a 2-stage scenario Unread post

As Ned says TM is a nice choice to use. If you don't use TM, I'd at least use 1.06 as some of what you talk about sounds like it might require the use of the variable system that TM and 1.06 allows.

If you are using an already painted map, I think people here have said it works best if you don't save over the files but rather keep renaming them or else it might distort the paint job on the map.