Help needed with new scenario

Tips and Tricks on Events, Economy, etc.
proudcanadian
Conductor

Unread post

I'm sure that would work, but once again, there are only four variables and 8 connections.
I don't drive a dogsled to work, I don't live in an igloo, and we're the SECOND LARGEST COUNTRY ON EARTH!!!
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Unread post

Make another event to set CompanyVariable 1=0 after it fires for the status event.
I don't think it will change the ledger once it fires. Maybe someone else can verify this.
Hawk
proudcanadian
Conductor

Unread post

Okay, in order to save me the whole confusion with this variable thing, I'm going to try to change how the scenario is written. Instead, I'm going to have the other cities must be connected to Sault Ste. Marie, and see if this works. This is kind of like an (unreleased) RT2 scenario I made called 'The Sault Express', where you had to connect Sault Ste. Marie to other major centres. I never completed it, so it never got released.

Anyway, I'll see if this works and come back. :D
I don't drive a dogsled to work, I don't live in an igloo, and we're the SECOND LARGEST COUNTRY ON EARTH!!!
JSS
Brakeman

Sault Express map. Unread post

If you are really stuck if you like you can email me the map and I take a closer look.
RRTJSS@shaw.ca
The man who has no imagination has no wings. (Muhammad Ali)
proudcanadian
Conductor

Unread post

Okay, I've emailed the zip file to JSS, and hopefully he can fix what I've done wrong. I'd just like to say thanks to JSS for offering his help to a fellow Canadian in completing the scenario. :D Hope to get a reply soon.
proudcanadian
Conductor

Unread post

Okay, I'm pleased to announce the completion of Northern Ontario version 1!!! ::!**! All the events should work, and I'm emailing the zip file to Hawk tonight. Hopefully it'll be up and running by the weekend. A big !$th_u$! goes out to EPH and JSS. Without their help, this scenario would not be possible (0!!0) Thanks so much for your support!
JSS
Brakeman

Unread post

Well, my contribution was merle to establish that I could not make the event, as written, work either.

The problem is that the trigger “Comp. Stns. Connects Terr. to City (XX: xxxxxxx) is TRUE (or FALSE) does not work when used in a Status Report and is being checked against “All Territories”.
If one then uses the trigger in the status report using the TRUE condition to inform the player that the connection has been made (and it actually was made) and uses another status report trigger using the FALSE condition to indicate that the connection has not been made then both connected and unconnected messages will be shown even though only one of them is/can be true.

One would assume that this trigger would fire as True if the specified city is connected from any of the territories but this is not the case. The event works fine if tested from any specific territory but will not work correctly when tested from “All Territories”.

Proudcanadian rewrote the events to make it work.
Last edited by JSS on Thu May 17, 2007 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The man who has no imagination has no wings. (Muhammad Ali)
EPH
Dispatcher

Unread post

Let me note that this is not the first instance we have seen of events failing to work as designed. Writing events in this game is like baking corn bread with flour "because that's what the recipe says to use". Sort of like realizing you aren't crazy - the ball really did fall sideways because gravity just doesn't work right in one spot. Not really what you expect.

Congratulations, Proudcanadian, on seeing it through in spite of everything PopTop could do to stop you. (The congratulations are sincere and well deserved; my feelings about the editor are let us say a little mixed.)

The three rules of computer programming are very much complicated when the language itself doesn't work properly.

(They are:
1) define the problem and decide on a solution
2) write the code
3) rewrite the code because it didn't work)
The optimist proclaims we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true." - James Branch Cabell
besterik
Hobo

Unread post

EPH wrote:(They are:
1) define the problem and decide on a solution
2) write the code
3) rewrite the code because it didn't work)
I would modify that to say about:
1. Spend x time to come up with a solution
2. Spend 5x time on implementing the solution
3. Spend 25x time on bugfixing the ****** non-compilant code giving you some frigging wrong answear.

Sorry for the language, but it is needed, because step 3 can get you in a very bad mode.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Unread post

Sorry for the language, but it is needed,
Needed-Maybe, but that's a bit harsh for a public forum so I edited it. :wink:
Hawk
proudcanadian
Conductor

Unread post

Thanks everyone for the kind words. Can't wait until the actual scenario is up for the masses to enjoy. Anyway, EPH, I completely agree with your mixed feelings for the editor. There are improvements that I feel surpass the RT2 editor (like the fact that the game writes the triggers for you, and you only have to supply the specific information like city IDs,instead of having to type the whole trigger) and then there are places where it has stepped backward. Despite this, I hope to continue to make sceanarios no matter what the editor throws at me. Thanks again.
proudcanadian
Conductor

Unread post

Hawk, just wondering, did the email make it okay, or should I resend it? If you're busy, ignore this post or delete it.

Just wondering.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Unread post

I didn't get an email from you. Try again.
Hawk
proudcanadian
Conductor

Unread post

Okay Hawk, check your email. The map should be there now. :D Must have sent it to the wrong adress :oops: sorry!
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Unread post

Got it. I'll get it added shortly. Give ma about an hour. I'm right in the middle of something at the moment.
Hawk