Getting AI railroads to begin

Tips and Tricks on Events, Economy, etc.
Canadian Viking
Brakeman

Getting AI railroads to begin Unread post

I am puzzled about AI railroads in my new scenario. Early on I ran several tests of the first 3 or 4 years of the game, and AI railroads popped up in several places on the map as I hoped they would. Then I built the track and stations for several AI railroads that were already in existance at the start of my game in 1853. Those AI's with prelaid track are functioning fairly well, but now I never have a new one start up, and there should be several that do. Can anybody tell me what is going on? If you have a prebuilt AI in your scenario, does that stop others from beginning on their own later on? I'm not sure what to try. !hairpull!
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

Re: Getting AI railroads to begin Unread post

The two main factors that determine whether an AI will build are: 1) Are there two cities close enough to connect that will provide (at least initially) profitable trains, and 2) does the chairman of the AI company have a propensity to build railroads or not. The answer to the first depends on the layout of the map at the start; if the good routes are already taken, other AIs won't build. The answer to the second depends on the nature of the chairman. Some like to build, others like to invest, and others just sit around and do nothing. There was never any documentation with RT3 that described the characteristics of the different chairmen, but RT2 had a table or chart of some sort that gave info about the different chairmen. Someone posted this info somewhere, but I don't remember where. Perhaps someone could repost it. If you want your AIs to build, designate specific AI players when you write the scenario. It's still no guarantee that they will build; there still needs to be a suitable pair of cities to connect.
Canadian Viking
Brakeman

In my early testing I had AI railroads start up in Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota and Iowa. The prebuilt AI's that I added later are almost all in Illinois, so I know there are reasonable starting spots for the other AI's that should start up during the game.

I did use the RT2 table to give my prebuilt AI's leaders that were most likely to expand their railroad. Most of them are functioning fairly well. The leaders of the other AIs (4 - 7of them) that should start during the game are randomly selected each game, but I can't understand why none of them ever start a railroad. I'm playing 10 - 15 year test games now and not one AI has started during the game yet since I added the prebuilt AIs. The game is starting to round into shape very nicely. I still have more events to add, and a few fixes to make before I colour the scenery and plant the trees. But I can't figure out the cause of my problem with the AI's. **!!!**
Hawk
The Big Dawg

I tried to look around the net for a RRT3 managers guide but all I could find was a guide for RRT2.

http://bluebaron.cryingwolf.org/managers.php

I wonder how much different they are between the two versions?
Hawk
Gwizz
CEO

Almost none.