Territory Access Problem

Tips and Tricks on Events, Economy, etc.
Canadian Viking
Brakeman

Territory Access Problem Unread post

In the scenario I am creating, all the territories are open to all companies at the start of the game. However, early in the game the player is given some options. Two of those options, if chosen, will limit the (human) player to building his railroad in only one state. How do I set this up so that territories that were open now become closed? I would prefer them to actually be closed, rather than have an access purchase price, but a very high access price would likely accomplish the goal. I need to know not just how to structure the event, but how the territories should be set up in the editor at the beginning of the game. Thanks for any help you experts can give me.

CV
EPH
Dispatcher

Unread post

In 'Farewell to Steam' I use the following setup. First, all territories are closed to all players. Then the human player picks one starting territory which is opened for him. Last, all territories except the one the human player chose are opened for the AI players. I realize this is not exactly what you said you wanted but you could look at the events and make a decision on how to adapt them to your needs.

Opening or closing a territory can be done by event regardless of whether the territory has an access cost or not. Territory access cost can be manipulated via an event of that name, either for a single territory or for all territories (in 'Farewell to Steam' see the Access Cost events for an example of an event affecting all territories).
The optimist proclaims we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true." - James Branch Cabell
Grandma Ruth
CEO

Unread post

Not sure if this will help, but I had some difficulty opening/closing territories till I realised the event is affecting the territory as well as the company. So I'm not sure how you would do it to affect all but one territory.
Your trigger page needs to be test against human companies only, and have the condition "force test against territories" as well as whatever triggers the event. I don't think you could do it direct from the event choice, you'd have to make the result of the choice be to set a variable and then do another event using the variable as a trigger. In the territory box put the territory this will affect - this is why I can't see how you'd do it for multiple territories. I think you'd have to do a separate event for each territory.
On the effects screen you should get "apply to company/territory which is true" and the effect is "allow all to false"
Just set the territories up as "border is visible" and don't check the "limited access" box.
Hope this is useful.
wsherrick
Engineer

Unread post

Look at EPH's Farewell To Steam and then look at Big Valley. They are both similiar in limiting territories to the human player. It is probably easier to prevent the player's company from starting in any territory at the start of the scenario, then create a series of events that allow the player choices of which territory to start in. See also the post down near the bottom of this page which covers information about limiting access to territories. There is a lot of info there. As you decide specifically what you want to do, everyone here will be happy to help you write out the events so they work right. It takes a lot of testing and work, so be patient and all will be well. :D
One more little item-If you have AI players in the scenario, prevent the human player from being able to merge with them. A merger with an AI company allows the player instant access to all territories the AI company has built into. This can upset your flow of events if you have an overall plan for the game.
EPH
Dispatcher

Unread post

The way you have to think of it is not, "How do I affect more than one territory?", but rather, "How many separate events do I need, one event per territory?"
The optimist proclaims we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true." - James Branch Cabell