Question about Different Gauge Tracks

Tips and Tricks on Events, Economy, etc.
Canadian Viking
Brakeman

Question about Different Gauge Tracks Unread post

I've taken a break from RT for several months while I read up on the economic news to figure out what is going on in the world. That done, I'm planning a new scenario.

Is there a way to simulate the different track gauges? I want to have some pre-built AI railroads of different gauges. Is there a way to distinguish between standard gauge track and broad gauge (or narrow gauge), so that the two types of track cannot be physically connected?

Also, can someone tell me what scenario has the most prebuilt AI trackage? I don't want to spend a lot of time pre-building track and end up with so much that it slows down the game by overloading the computer. :-(
Grandma Ruth
CEO

Re: Question about Different Gauge Tracks Unread post

Canadian Viking wrote:I've taken a break from RT for several months while I read up on the economic news to figure out what is going on in the world. :-(
You're better off in our world, CV! :lol:
nedfumpkin
CEO

I'd have to look into it, but I think there is a way to prevent you from connecting to AI track via an event set-up with permissions. Something seems to tell me that it can be done.
Gwizz
CEO

In trainz you can have different gauges.

I think it would be possible to duplicate the RT3 track tool and have the 2nd version of the tool be incompatible with the first version.

Even place one version over the other and have dual gauge trackage where the correct train would only run on its' gauge track

FYI, If you ever looked at some of the early PopTop maps, they had areas of triangle cells mixed together with the square cells.

Pop Top had planned to converting to 3D by using square and triangle cells for RT2.
The triangle cells could be made with different types of triangles that were only compatible with cells having the same type (angle) of triangle. (I think I'm correct on this, as I had to do some reading between the lines)

But, using 3D for the full game must have been too complicated and work on this idea was abandoned when work started on the new RT3 engine. The new engine could be used for a number of different games not just a railroad game. You might remember that an operatable tank could be found in RT3.
Pepe
Hobo

nedfumpkin wrote:I'd have to look into it, but I think there is a way to prevent you from connecting to AI track via an event set-up with permissions. Something seems to tell me that it can be done.
Is the smart monkey doing the talking? Cuz that's an excellent answer!
Joe"Pepe"Wrona