"Passengers Production -100%" no longer works

Tips and Tricks on Events, Economy, etc.
moblet
Hobo

"Passengers Production -100%" no longer works Unread post

Greetings,

I only recently discovered RRT3 and have started getting into scenario writing. My first scenario was complete except for tuning the demands on the player, but now RRT3 has suddenly decided to ignore the event effect "Passengers Production -100%". Nothing I've tried has been able to get RRT to recognise this command. I expect I'll have to re-install and hope that it comes good, but before going to that much trouble I wanted to ask if anyone else has had this problem.

Some factors:
~ I'm up to v.76 in development. If I open a version that was saved before this problem began, or write the event into another scenario, RRT still ignores the command and produces passengers.
~ I have set the event to print a message, so I know that the event is being triggered.
~ It's a "start of scenario" event applied to the whole game. I've tried a few different combinations here with the same result.
~ I was using a custom language file at the time, but had been using one for a while. Changing the language file isn't making any difference.
~ I can't identify any one change that was associated with this, except that another event elsewhere in the scenario mysteriously became corrupted with text from another (different) event. I guess this points at the reinstallation option.

Any ideas?

Mike
Grandma Ruth
CEO

Re: "Passengers Production -100%" no longer works Unread post

(*!!wel Good to have you with us.
What version of RT3 are you using? Just as it came out of the box or with the official or unofficial patches?
Also, you said it "suddenly" stopped obeying this command - so I take it that it was working properly before?
Could you post a screenshot of your event?
I'm sure somebody will b able to help, we have a lot of expertise here!
nedfumpkin
CEO

Re-installing may cause you more problems than offer solutions, so keep it as a last resort.

I think it would help to explain what you are trying to accomplish with that event set. If you want to reduce passengers production to 0, the -100% isn't enough. There appears to be some confusion about how this is applied because we aren't really sure if the percentages relate to the base number, or the current number for production. Seems like it is a combination of both.

If you want to reduce the passengers production in a particular area, then the value should be set at -200%. This will only stop the production of passengers, and any that are on the map at that time will still be avalailable.
moblet
Hobo

Thanks to you both.

I'm running v1.05 and my goal is for the entire scenario to have no passenger traffic. It's the first event in the list, and all it does is "Passengers Production -x%" to the whole game. If there's a better way to eliminate passenger traffic, or all express traffic, do tell. Mail is the only express traffic in the scenario, and it's not consequential.

I can't see the upload tab for attaching image files so I can't include screenshots (can email shots and/or the scenario itself if anyone's that interested), but I think nedfumpkin might have cleared up my confusion. It's occurred to me that in my previous testing I didn't build track on day 1, so if there were passengers wandering about at startup they would have given up and gone home by the time I got around to running trains, so I never saw passenger cars. If I build track on day 1, though, my first services will carry some passengers, but after a few trips passenger inventories soon fall below 0.5 and the traffic disappears. This is acceptable, but if I can eliminate passengers altogether that would be nicer.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

moblet wrote:I can't see the upload tab for attaching image files so I can't include screenshots
The reason you couldn't see the tab for file attachments is because I just changed your membership status, so you should be able to add attachments now.

The reason I do this is so I can monitor a new members first post. It may seem a bit extreme, or even a bit anal, but I hate spammers. If they somehow get past the registration scrutiny, they still can't post attachments nor send private messages until after I see their first post. Sometimes though, do to time zone differences and/or sleepy patterns, I don't always get to the first post, but I get there as soon as possible. :salute:
Hawk
nedfumpkin
CEO

Also reduce the price 200%. That way even if they do show up, they aren't profitable to carry.
moblet
Hobo

Hawk wrote:It may seem a bit extreme, or even a bit anal, but I hate spammers.
It's fine with me. I don't care much for them either. Nice that I can save my posts as drafts now too.
nedfumpkin wrote:Also reduce the price 200%. That way even if they do show up, they aren't profitable to carry.
Good tip. I added an extra zero for good measure.

Now I can get back to refining the scenario. All I have to do now is strike that balance between "challenging" and "impossible". Should be ready for some beta testing fairly soon.