Help Needed - Ledger Status Page

Tips and Tricks on Events, Economy, etc.
Canadian Viking
Brakeman

Help Needed - Ledger Status Page Unread post

I have been playing RRT3 for years (I got hooked on the original RRT) and am now working on a new scenario. I have gotten lots of help in understanding the editor by reading posts here. And I printed some off the old PopTop website before it was taken down, and they have been very helpful.

But I can't figure out how to do some simple things on the status page. How do I get it to report: "Chicago is not linked to St. Louis" early in the game, and then report "Chicago is linked to St. Louis" once my railroad makes the connection?

And how can I get it to show: "You have hauled X loads of cotton to Memphis"? I have looked at other scenarios, which helped me a bit, but I don't understand how to get the proper codes into the event file.

There may be some very basic step of which I am not aware.

CV
EPH
Dispatcher

Unread post

I recommend you check the scenario 'British Miracle' for an example of the first connection event (London to Edinburgh). Make sure you know whether you want to require the player's company to own both stations or just connect to someone who does. Generally speaking, you want to use two events for this, one that shows only if the connection is made and one that shows up if there is no connection. You will need the city number, which is found in the upper right hand corner of the 'city/region' listing that shows the possible industries, density, station design and so on for the city or region.

You cannot check the loads hauled to a city in RRT3. You can check the loads hauled to a territory, so you may want to consider making a small territory centering on the city. You can uncheck the 'show border' box for the territory in the editor or leave a city limits line around it. :)

I hope this is helpful to you. If not, please let us know.
The optimist proclaims we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true." - James Branch Cabell
Canadian Viking
Brakeman

Unread post

Thanks for your help, EPH. The key on the status report was your tip that I needed two events - one for not connected and one for connected. I had been trying to do it all with one event.

I discovered about a week ago that you cannot test loads hauled to a city. And that was one of the key things I was building my scenario around. :( So I deleted my cities, installed regions under them, and rebuilt the cities on top of the regions. Haven't had time to test it yet but I expect it will work. Thanks again for taking time to help.
CV
EPH
Dispatcher

Unread post

I'm not sure you have to delete the city. Just color around it with a new region. And be a little generous - cities do grow. :)
The optimist proclaims we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true." - James Branch Cabell
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

Unread post

Are you sure it's regions and not territories that you can count loads to/from. My recollection is that you can only count loads at the territory level. In any event, EPH is right that you don't have to delete cities, just make a territory enclosing the city and leave the borders invisible (if you so desire). You should make the territory a bit bigger than the city because terrain/natural features etc. may prevent the building footprint from being within the territory if it's too small.
Canadian Viking
Brakeman

Unread post

Wolverine, I'm sure you are correct that it is territories, not regions, to which you can count loads. When typing my earlier post I just momentarily forgot that the two terms are NOT synonyms in RRT3. I bulldozed the cities before creating the territories because I remember reading that territories should be created before cities. I guess that is just sound practise, but maybe not absolutely essential.

BTW, I enjoy your Michigan 1830 game. Have played it twice (on hard) and gotten bronze both times. Almost made silver the 2nd try, which is what I was aiming for. Gold looks like it would require a lot of consist micromanagement, which I don't really enjoy. I will give it another try. I've lived in MI before so enjoyed the historical notes you put in the game.
CV
EPH
Dispatcher

Unread post

And I am sure I mis-spoke when I said 'region' and meant 'territory'. I apologize for the confusion.
ljn
Hobo

Unread post

Thanks for the idea!!

I used the territories / region to control the earthquakes to a smaller area and could set the (8.0) to a (6.0) as you get away from the actual fault area.

EPH wrote:I'm not sure you have to delete the city. Just color around it with a new region. And be a little generous - cities do grow. :)
EPH
Dispatcher

Unread post

In 'Getaway Special' I set up two zones in a huge cut through a mountain, using dozens of scattered little 'dots' for each zone. One event triggers mudslides (and a storm) and may destroy pieces of your track; another event triggers a quake and destroys track in a different area. Each event is likely to 'bite' out several sections of track whithout removing a large chunk.

The biggest problem I have with using a 'quake' is that everything in the selected zone is destroyed. You can select track, trains, stations or buildings (or all) but everything of that selected type is vaporized.
HighVoltage
Brakeman

Unread post

EPH wrote:I'm not sure you have to delete the city. Just color around it with a new region. And be a little generous - cities do grow. :)
...but what counts in the end (what the game accepts as 'delivered' to 'city' (in the case of RT3 the territory under the city)) is, if the station where the goods are delivered to lies INSIDE the territory :!:
With the Railroad, distances are disappearing, material interests are promoted, culture is raised and spread.
Carl Ritter von Ghega