Royal Hudson Revised

Creating and Editing Rollingstock
WPandP
Engineer

Royal Hudson Revised Unread post

I have taken the liberty of skinning the Royal Hudson, which Bombardiere had crafted and which was included in the Loco Pack, but which still resembled the U1 in all respects other than its wheel arrangement. Along the way, I learned a little bit about how to do some of the tricks that Bomber used to swap out trucks and wheels, and I had to learn a few new things, too.

If you already have the Royal Hudson installed, you may wish to remove it manually. These files will not over-write the old ones; it should install alongside them. Thus, if you do not remove the old files, then you'll have two Royal Hudsons available after 1937, one of which looks like a U1. The easiest way to remove an engine is to remove its .CAR and .LCO files from Data/EngineTypes - in this case, remove the "Hudson" assets. All assets pertaining to this revised version are named "CPR464".

Here she is:

Download the ZIP file:
http://wpandp.com/RRT3/RoyalHudson.zip

Read the ReadMe (text file):
http://wpandp.com/RRT3/ReadMeRoyalHudson.txt

Enjoy, and post any comments here!
=Winchester, Paston & Portsmouth=
====== We Provide Pride! ======
bombardiere
Dispatcher

Re: Royal Hudson Revised Unread post

Absolutely BRILLIANT!!!! !!clap!!

I am speechless.

But hey !! The tender!!! I thought I know models by heart now, but it took me ages to idenfity the tender. It is Mallard's!! I can only bow to new master in the house. {,0,}

One thing though ;-) you have left out the crown. How it can be Royal Hudson without the crown. :-D
CeeBee
Brakeman

Awesome!!! !*th_up*! !!clap!! !$th_u$!
Will it cause any problems leaving both Hudsons or is it best to remove the old one?
proudcanadian
Conductor

Bombar, Wp&P didn't miss the crowns, they're very faint, but they're still there.

Looks good WP&P, I always thought the original Royal Hudson looked nothing like what they looked like historically. Great Job!! :-D
I don't drive a dogsled to work, I don't live in an igloo, and we're the SECOND LARGEST COUNTRY ON EARTH!!!
bombardiere
Dispatcher

Oh, yes, sorry. :oops: I remembered that the crown was on the red area. And you are right, this makes me shame about my original model. Before Christmas I was updating Royal Hudson, but I run out of time. I am very happy that WP&P picked up where I left.

And I don't think there will be any problems using two Hudsons. May be an event could confuse these models. :?: But these is no need to retain the original, this version is so much superior. {,0,}
wsherrick
Engineer

This engine looks great! There is only one little issue I have and I don't know if you can fix it or not. The counterweights in the drivers should be opposite of the driving rods. Thanks again WP&P for all of your contributions.
WPandP
Engineer

wsherrick-

I know about the counterweights; I tried to fix that. But it seems as if the rod and the wheel aren't truly in sync; whenever I would rotate the wheel in the skin file, to try and get it in the right place relative to the rod, when I'd go in the game I'd find it in some other unexpected location. Either the wheels and the rod don't turn at the same rate, or the actual rotation of the wheel is randomized when the engine model first loads.

There were several little details like this, that I finally had to just say "enough!". This isn't MSTS, after all. Another of those issues is the mirror-image tender sides, the same problem I've seen with some of the boxcars and elsewhere. Based on what I've learned about hex-editing the 3DP file, it might theoretically be possible to correct this, but I tried a few times and didn't have success yet. I might keep working on it, though.

But for now, I think this is a "good enough" model, to share with the community.
=Winchester, Paston & Portsmouth=
====== We Provide Pride! ======