Cotton Gin

Creating and editing buildings and Commodities.
AT41B
Watchman

Cotton Gin Unread post

Hi All.... I have been playing "Crystal Cotton" and I was wondering if anyone had thought or tried to construct a "Cotton Gin". Cotton travels to the Gin to be cleaned and seeds removed and at that point is packed into "Bales". I know there are different size bales, but for RT3, I think only one would work. I am not knowledgeable enough to configure such a building or have the software. It is just a thought........
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Re: Cotton Gin Unread post

I split this post off from the Railyard Structures thread, and started a new thread, because this is not relevant to the Railyard Structures topic.
Hawk
RulerofRails
CEO

If I am understanding this right you want to add a new cargo type to the game? You would need to figure out new demands etc. for the "bales". I have a fair bit of playing experience but none in this field.

My honest opinion is that this is a small step of conversion. But if someone wants to make it why not? In the mean time you could try Trainmaster if you haven't already. I believe it has the maximum amount of cargo types possible in the game. I am currently playing the Juice Train scenario by Blackhawk. Enjoying it and must say that there are a lot more possibilities in the industries to make enormous profits or get frustrated because all your cargo gets "stolen" (used) by such things as gas stations, shopping malls, and even the farm communities that demand a whole shopping list of products. Custom consists and shipping at a loss are absolutely necessary.
AT41B
Watchman

Thanks Hawk.. I did not think it should be in the Rail Yard Structures thread either, but I didn't know exactly where.
Thanks to you also RulerofRails, You are right about that being such a small step in the process. It was just a thought while playing "Crystal Cotton".

If Hawk wants to delete this thread, I have no problem.
There is a lot of Ins and outs to the flow. It would mess up the flow of "Raw" cotton to the "Textile Mills" and so on. But if someone did take the challenge, it will be tough, like when Eli Whitney invented the gin, it was ran by hand. Then the gin was operated by steam(coal/wood), then by petro motors, then by electric motors. The timing of such power conversions in the flow of software would be tough to schedule (the supply and demand to the Gin). Also, there is a difference in types of Textile mills. Most process cotton, but there is wool, nylon, rayon, silk, etc. Some mills process just the cotton into thread/yarn. Most cotton/wool mills process the ginned cotton or carded wool into thread/yarn straight through to the dyed fabric.
So yes, it will be a big task.
But it was just a thought running through this old cotton mill village boy, now almost 73.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

AT41B wrote:
If Hawk wants to delete this thread, I have no problem.
I see no reason to delete this thread. (0!!0)
Hawk
Blackhawk
CEO

While it is an interesting concept to require the cotton be put into bales first, one of the problems would be executing it. Both 1.06 and TM use all available cargoes so something would have to be taken out to make room for it which would likely cause problems with existing maps. TM uses cotton to make textiles which are used in more ways than the simple "clothes" that 1.05 and 1.06 uses. (required for autos, publishers house, flour mill?).

Part of the problem with the cargoes in the game is to what extent to you break down the supply chain. The more you break it down, the more cargoes you need and then there likely needs to be multiple industries that then demand that cargo to justify creating it versus some other cargo that could be used for multiple industries.

Your idea seems interesting, but it would require some work and likely it's own mod for 1.05 in order for it to come to fruition in the way you envision.