Railroad Tycoon 3 - Trainmaster Alpha 1

General discussion about TrainMaster
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Re: Railroad Tycoon 3 - Trainmaster Alpha 1 Unread post

Well, they've changed his care status to comfort. For those not familiar with that, it means they're going to try and make his last minutes/hours/days as comfortable as possible. There's no reason for any further care. :-(
To add to all this, her oldest sister just died last Friday and the funeral was Sunday.

I forgot to include a link to that map, if anyone wants it.

http://hawkdawg.com/zips/rt3/xtras/ned/ ... _Map_1.zip
Hawk
Gandar
Brakeman

nedfumpkin wrote:8 months of work
1 Alpha upload
3 patches to get things sorted out.

Zero feedback.

Ned I am a player not a mapmaker, but I would ask. How long does it take to become familiar with a new set of industries ?, and how long would it take someone learning these new loads and supply production demands take to create a scenario ?.
I have never been able to figure out how to make a scenario that would give pleasure to someone else in any of the RRT. I have been following this thread for quite a while waiting for the time that it was released and I could actually play Trainmaster. I would ask that you give people the chance to become familiar with it, and to work on it for a time, before you decide what you are going to do.
How long did it take you to produce your own RRT3 scenarios ? and as I recollect from early on in this venture you said that Trainmaster would be more of an expert railroading game than a tycoon game so I am certain that it will have a different feel to it,
At least wait until a scenario or two have been posted, its selfish of me I know, but I would like to try it out before you pull the plug.
!!clap!! !!clap!! !!clap!! For your hard work

ps I've downloaded it, don't give up yet I haven't :-D .
I got up and the world was still here, isn't that wonderful ?
FMCRR
Watchman

Anyone playing TM on Vista? I am almost afraid to uninstall RRT3 on the laptop (which runs fine) to play with TM. Let me understand the requirements for TM a clean install of RRT3, CTC patched and nothing else? no 1.05 or 1.06 correct? I am very curious to try a modern map of typical eastern farmlands with smaller cities and a Ethanol (Biofuel) plant I guess.

Thanks gang
Zig
Home of the Freeport & Muddy Creek Railroad
N Scale, Modern day, Freelance with CSX connection
http://www.freeportmuddycreek.com
nedfumpkin
CEO

Mr. Scott....I'm not sure why the Lavender Farm is messed up. I'll recheck the skins since it might be a resolution issue. I'm at 1600x1200, and I posted some screen caps that looked fine.

Gandar...I expect it will take some time to create scenarios because the maps themselves take a while to create. I know because I am trying to create a scenario based on the Wyoming Valley base map created by Mr. Scott. The events will take a while to write as well.

Learning the supply chain will also take time, and right now I am just trying to get everything listed. I'm almost done. I will also be creating charts for the different supply chains.

FMCRR...don't uninstall your current version. Just make a copy of it, and follow the instructions for that method of installation. To answer your question, it's being created on Vista, so it is fully compliant. This isn't to replace 1.05 or 1.06, it is to offer an alternative for people who can't play 1.06 because of Vista, and also to keep this game alive for a few more years.

---------

And thanks everyone for the feedback and the interest.
Grandma Ruth
CEO

Thanks, ned. I'll have another try tonight.
Hawk, this is a tough time for you - wish there was something we could do. Maybe you'll get some relief just by losing yourself in the game world now and then during this awful time.
MrScott1964
Brakeman

nedfumpkin wrote:Mr. Scott....I'm not sure why the Lavender Farm is messed up. I'll recheck the skins since it might be a resolution issue. I'm at 1600x1200, and I posted some screen caps that looked fine.
I'll double check to make sure I have the right building.

Just to remind everybody...there is a blank US map ready for download.
Cheers,
MrScott2022
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

Maybe it's just my computer/video card, but when I look at the cargo details for some of the "industries/coops", the Supply/Demand icons don't fit in the frames for them. See attached.

Edit: I removed the pics as a result of Hawk's post below.
Last edited by Wolverine@MSU on Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrScott1964
Brakeman

Here is a pic of the lavender farm.
RT3_04_30_09__10_39_15.jpg
Cheers,
MrScott2022
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Wolverine@MSU wrote:Maybe it's just my computer/video card, but when I look at the cargo details for some of the "industries/coops", the Supply/Demand icons don't fit in the frames for them. See attached.
That is a known issue and is mentioned in the Read Me. ;-)
Known bugs:

- The nocd crack will not work on Windows Vista. This is still being worked on.

- The industry display detail for some industries is large and difficult to read because it overlaps, and is larger than the available area. This is being worked on, in the mean time, you can use the docs or cargo overview to view this information.

- Troops are still travelling in passenger coaches until I can complete the troops cars. Freaight cars continue to be a work in progress.

- New company logos will only work if they are in their own small pk4 file. I am still working on this.
Hawk
FMCRR
Watchman

Well what I was afraid of has happened, I tried the copy RRT3 folder/rename/delete various files/download TM/ do the extract thing into the various folders/run new patch/ and whadda ya know cant even get it to run. Sooooo I deleted everything/fresh install of RRT3/ CTC patched and now RRT3 in the CTC version wont even run. Going to try and copy the new install and patch it up to TM and see what happens next. But I aint holding my breath...

If anything sounds familiar let me know what I can do to straighten things out....
Grandma Ruth
CEO

FMCRR wrote: If anything sounds familiar let me know what I can do to straighten things out....
I had a problem which turned out to be some of the files weren't properly downloaded- which is fixed now, thanks, ned - are you getting any error message or is it crashing or hanging or just not starting up?
ned - now I've got going, this is great! But I can't see that people need a brand-new scenario to play-test on **!!!** One of the existing ones would do, surely? I mean, eventually, yes, new scenarios will be nice, but how about if I just fix up one of the existing ones and it's going to be the one that's been driving me crazy in 1.05 - Alternate USA. Just for testing the farms, etc.
Like the photos, as well - I know William's trains but the others are also great !*th_up*!
FMCRR
Watchman

Problem is it's hanging when trying to double click the icon to run it, do I have to use the 1.04 exe to run it or is that even a possibility as the problem? I double click the icon, hear the dvd drive start up and pointer goes from arrow to a revolving disc that just never goes away, I have to log out and back in to make it go completely away.
MrScott1964
Brakeman

FMCRR wrote:Problem is it's hanging when trying to double click the icon to run it, do I have to use the 1.04 exe to run it or is that even a possibility as the problem? I double click the icon, hear the dvd drive start up and pointer goes from arrow to a revolving disc that just never goes away, I have to log out and back in to make it go completely away.
I had had the same problem. You making it too hard...try this.
1. Clean install of RRT3 up to 1.5
2. Create a new folder next to your RRT3 folder and call it Trainmaster.
3. Open up the RRT3 folder and copy all the files.
4. Paste all the files you just copied into the Trainmaster folder.
5. Go into the trainmaster folder and delete the files in the following folders...
a.Data/Building types
b.Data/Cargo types
c.Data/Engine types
6. Unzip the trainmaster files and patch and add them to the trainmaster folders.

Hope this helps.
Cheers,
MrScott2022
Grandma Ruth
CEO

MrScott1964 wrote: I had had the same problem. You making it too hard...try this.
1. Clean install of RRT3 up to 1.5
2. Create a new folder next to your RRT3 folder and call it Trainmaster.
3. Open up the RRT3 folder and copy all the files.
4. Paste all the files you just copied into the Trainmaster folder.
5. Go into the trainmaster folder and delete the files in the following folders...
a.Data/Building types
b.Data/Cargo types
c.Data/Engine types
6. Unzip the trainmaster files and patch and add them to the trainmaster folders.

Hope this helps.

IMPORTANT
: also add number 5.d. delete content of PopTopExtraContent folder - that's what I didn't do that caused my problem.

I've now changed one of the original maps, just a little, so there's something to look at whilst we get on with creating some new scenarios. I've attached the zip file.

PS: ned, nice new look to the company ledger - in fact all those bits and pieces look really good with the Trainmaster logo and all. !!clap!!
Attachments
Alternate USA Tester.zip
It took a long time to upload so be patient when you're downloading it!
(6.84 MiB) Downloaded 142 times
nedfumpkin
CEO

Mr Scott, I see what you mean, and didn't notice it before. The problem is that the skin is laid on the wrong building model. Easy fix, and I'll include it in the next update which I should have tonight) Thanks for pointing it out to me.

Wolvy, Hawk already responded, and I am working on the problem. I've been searching through the various files trying to find where the configuration information is located. In fact, I was thinking about this this morning. Once I do that, I am hoping to be able to have the window show things clearly, and even decimals. Right now, anything that shows a 0 is less than one, but more than 0.

Ruth, I have found that old maps can be loaded in the editor, except for 1.06 maps. The old maps can be edited and some can even sort of be played to a degree as they are, but of course events and industries won't work right.

FMCRR, If you are on Vista, then use the RT3.exe file that is included in the download. It's the only one that I have found that works on Vista. Sometimes though, I try to load the game and it looks like it is loading then I just get a screen resolution change and the music. I just reboot my computer and load again, or because it happens when I am testing, I just load the game again and mute the music. Usually when I exit the game it resets everything.

I've gotten to the point where the cause of crashes are easily identified by how they happen. I'll put this in the readme. This is the most common crashes, and what the error is:

1 Begins loading, changes resolution, plays music, but goes back to desktop. Not sure what is happening, but seems to resolve itself by rebooting, or double clicking the game again then exiting. Usually happens when I click on something else while wating for the game to load. Doesn't show in task manager for some reason.

2 Loads to Main Menu then crashes to desktop. Vista users need to use the exe file supplied.

When loading a map in Editor:

3 Immediate hanging means a cargo is listed for a building that isn't supplied. (means I have a typo usually)

4 Hangs almost imediately, and sometimes returns an error message that an imb file is missing. Means that not all the files are in the right place. Make sure all files are present.

5 Hangs while building economy means you are trying to load a map for 1.06.

-----------------------------------------

Again, thank you very much because your input is shaving weeks of work from getting this completed as a beta. I also want to mention that if you see something that you wish to see changed, then please speak your mind freely. I won't guarantee that the change will be made since there could be a technical reason, but certainly this is no un fais accompli.

Since this whole idea be inspired by Mr. Scott's Anthracite base map, I certainly highly recommend using any of Mr. Scott's base maps. And thank you Mr. Scott for taking an interest in possibly creating more maps.'

The scenarios I have planned, but until I can get to them are moving rather slowly are:

Wyoming Valley base map: Black Diamonds. A scenario about moving coal out of that part of Pennsylvania, with 1800s military stuff happening, and competition from other RRs. Seasons for building....winter and roadwork, advertising for Blue Coal, prospecting, etc. Multiple endings.

Anthracite base map: Made in America part 2. A scenario about creating a dummy company for the CIA to fund black ops, and the military industrial complex. This one is nukular! Twists and turns. Watch out Fidel! Bring down the Soviet Union!

Another scenario is planned for the Toronto Hamilton & Buffalo RR. This will likely deal with the auto industry. Need to make a map.

---------------------------------

One thing that I would ask is for all maps and scenarios, the file name be preceded by TM to identify it as a Trainmaster compliant map. It has always been a goal that there be a set of standards created, sort of like ISO, so that customizing can be easy and interchangeable. The specs will be written at some point and included (I plan on a lot of documentation), and part of those specs is the naming conventions. This way, like for the TH&B scenario, I can include skins for just the eras covered by the scenario. When playing other scenarios, the pk4 file is moved to the reserve folder.

--------------------------------

I downloaded the base map that Hawk posted, and it is a great map for setting up a basic try out. If nobody will be using it, then I will put something together over the weekend in the way of a simple map with the sole goal of exporting a single automobile. Of course, the player will have to build all the industries required, except for a few token industries at the base. Just a few towns, cities, mines, etc to supply the necessary resources. Autos are made from steel, rubber, textiles, electronics, and glass.

If someone wants to use the map, or take this on, feel free.
----------

Later tonight I am going to post Alpha 1d, which will have the shipyard, gov't buildings, bank, etc. and a fix for the lavender farm.

----------

Late reply.....

Thanks Ruth, I'm going to have a look at the map later. Thanks for the compliments on the changes I'm making to the look. I still have more icons to make, or change slightly, and some menus to finish creating.
nedfumpkin
CEO

Here's a copy of the WIP for the Black Diamonds scenario I am working on. (I started over)

It shows the placement of agricultural communities, and some other things. Just to give you an idea of how things are designed.
Attachments
TM_Black_Diamonds.zip
(3.31 MiB) Downloaded 140 times
FMCRR
Watchman

Ok so the only patch to original RRT3 that is NOT needed is 1.06.....CTC and the 1.05 IS needed? because I have the clean install to CTC did not patch to 1.05. Other than that the 1st time I did all this was as described in last post, but we'll go again with the clean install and see what happens....Thanks Folks
FMCRR
Watchman

!hairpull! LOL ok how about this one.....after downloading the 1.05 patch and running it in Winzip it starts to extract then about 70% of the way through stops and gives me this message.....Cant Create Output File: C:\Program Files\Railroad Tycoon 3\rt3.exe Sheeesh whats next.....
nedfumpkin
CEO

FMCRR, Try running the 1.05 patch as admistrator. I think I had the same problem when I did a clean install and that fixed it.

Mr. Scott, the Lavender Farm was using the skin from the Rice Farm, but the body from the Corn Farm. It's been fixed and now looks like this.....

lavendernew.JPG
FMCRR
Watchman

Thanks Ned, that solved it.....so now clean install, CTC added and patched up to 1.05, so now the deletion of various files and the adding of the TM content.....keeping my fingers crossed, you say to use the 1.04 exe and not what is in the copied folder correct?