Non Industry buildings in the buildings list.

General discussion about TrainMaster
nedfumpkin
CEO

Non Industry buildings in the buildings list. Unread post

I am very seriously thinking of reverse engineering the 1.06 "feature" that allows non-industry buildings such as municipal buildings in the industries spawn list, and add building in game play. I think I have figure out how to turn it off, and I am leaning towards doing it.

The main reason is that the municipal buildings in TM were never design to be owned by the player, and are designed to be spawn based on the needs of the map. From my point of view, things could get messed up as far as gameplay by leaving this on.

I am open to opinions, and on anything else you might want reverse engineered.
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

Re: Non Industry buildings in the buildings list. Unread post

It's your baby Ned. I think it's a good idea (but see below), as long as it doen't somehow mess up the normal spawning of buildings. Are all "municipal" buildings included (Mint, Legislature, etc)? It's been a while since I played TM and I forget exactly what you can and can't build. I suppose I can see a situation in which the scenario writer might want to have the player be able to build these, so to permanently disable them might limit scenario creativity. It is my understanding that they can only be built in 1.06 if the scenario writer checks them in the "Industries" list, otherwise they spawn like other industries/buildings. If that's the case, then I guess I would lean toward not changing it in the game engine, and leaving it up to the scenario writer.
nedfumpkin
CEO

Re: Non Industry buildings in the buildings list. Unread post

There are 4 types of buildings in TM. This will only apply to one of them. Since you haven't played it for a while, this only came up when I began using the 1.06 exe as the base for the TM exe.

Stations/Station amenties/Railyard Structures can be built by the player, cannot be spawned.

General industry are the buildings that you can build or buy as a player if they are included in the overall industry list. They can also be spawned based on the settings for the city or region.

Limited industries operate the same as other industries but cannot be built nor bought. The can be included in the overall industry list and set to spawn based on city or region settings.

Municipal buildings are only spawned by the game based on population levels set for the cities or regions. These include houses, stores, office buildings, churches, schools, etc.

In 1.06, there has been a change to allow the scenario writer the ability to set the overall industry list to include municpal buildings. Their spawning can also be augmented buy the city region settings. I also believe the change allowed players to buy and build some municipal buildings. Station Amenities, and Railyard structures are also included in this.

Some people consider this a feature. I have never liked it, and TM was never designed with it in mind since it only because an issue a couple of months ago.

Restoring it to the default shouldn't be too much of a problem, but before I do it, I want to give people the opportunity to have their say. I never played 1.06 all that much so my experience is limied.

-----

PS...some changes and progess I am making.....first off is that the landfill is going to be changed to a limited industry from a municipal building....I have only the change noted here to do on the TM exe. but most importantly.....

Since I've not been able to figure out a way of making the industry display work the way I want it to work, I am changing things so that the industry displays are set to how they do work. This will make it so that when you click on a building there won't be any overlap on the cargo recipes. There will be exceptions such as the agri-communities, but not on any industries that can be owned by the player. So far it is working well...although going slowly, however, I expect that in some cases I will need to split industries into two so that different cargo can be used to make their output. Only one case so far. The industries will work pretty much the same, just they will be able to display their recipes better.

It's just one of those things that if left the way it was, it would be a big turn off for playing the game. Still can't get decimals to show in the cargo recipes, but all industries showing a 0 as a cargo input value are between .1 and .5 (if someone wants to know precisely, just calculate it from the loads produced - loads consumed information...I know...nobody said there would be math) Documentation will have the precise values, and their differences has more to do with cost and price.